AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old March 8, 2021, 04:04   #11
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I would never have thought there's not enough ranged weapons. I seem to find plenty of attacking wands and rods even when I don't find ammo, but then I don't play ironman. (And I also rarely get much past dungeon level 40.)
Anyway, the monsters that will prefer ranged weapons and keep their distance generally tend to be low HP monsters. (That feature isn't meant for dragons.)
Yeah, it's actually a fun restriction, having to carefully ration your arrows. That being said, if kiting enemies are going to be low HP, then it's probably fine as is.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 06:31   #12
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Now that I've gotten back in the swing of variant-hacking (which is partly to say that I've remembered the small amount of C that I knew, and even more importantly, remembered how to use the debugger), I've been making pretty good progress on RubberBand.

I've added dual-wielding (which works very similarly to shield-bashing except you're wielding a weapon in the shield slot), 2 new player races, several new timed effects, and a few new monster spells in addition to the bunch of changes to the monster list. Here's a few specific things I've done:
- player luck affects several things mostly behind the scenes, but one big thing is that it can save your life if you don't get damaged too badly. Luck ranges from -5 to +5 and starts at +1. When it saves your life, it goes down by 1 (and it can only save your life if it's above zero. Below zero is bad luck.) So far, the only way it can go up is by drinking the rare potion of luck. And black cats can lower your luck into the negative. (I'm planning on adding at least one more way to raise luck, but it won't be a common thing.)
- several monsters (including most humans, giants, and kobolds) are sometimes evil and sometimes not evil depending on the individual monster. For those races, the only way to tell if an individual is evil is by detecting evil (or using some other spell that affects only evil monsters), or by attacking it with a slay evil weapon. EDIT: There are even a couple kinds of ghosts which are not always evil: green glutton ghosts and "ghosts". Green glutton ghosts aren't even invisible all the time (but they can turn invisible temporarily).

and a few smaller things:
- main gauche is now primarily meant as an off-hand weapon and can get most shield egos. The long dagger replaces its level in the normal weapons.
- heal monster effects damage undead and do not affect other non-living monsters.
- trap-disabling effects damage trap monsters (which include mimics, lurkers, and creeping coins, as well as a few new monsters that use the ^ trap symbol).
- a few monsters have a CHARM attack which has a similar effect on the player as fear, but isn't blocked by prot-fear because, well, it isn't fear. The monster makes you think it's your friend. But taking a significant amount of damage also ends the effect (if it doesn't kill you first). !Berserk strength and a couple other things can also cure it.
- a few monsters can appear both in the town and the dungeon (shallow).
- mushroom of clear mind has a stronger effect than just protection from confusion, return of the mushroom of first sight and second thoughts, mushroom of the singing drunk, and mushroom of irritation from DaJAngband.
- the KEEP_DIST monster flag I mentioned in the OP.

In the OP of this thread, I said I'd make an option of monster lists to choose between mostly-vanilla monsters or more different monsters (mainly between icky things and yeeks, or fairies). But I've decided the weirdness of having two monster bases using the same symbols ('y' and 'i') isn't worth it, so I changed my mind about having that option, and the yeeks and icky things will be (almost) completely removed. 'y' is light fairies (like sprites and gnomes), 'i' is dark fairies (mostly goblins).

Question: I'm debating between letting all classes dual-wield or restricting it to classes which aren't primary casters (or paladins). What do you think?

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Last edited by will_asher; May 7, 2021 at 06:54.
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 12:41   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Warriors and rogues only, and only if the main weapon is a sword <=17lbs (BoC), and second weapon is main gauche, dagger. Katana is ok if other weapon <= 10lbs.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2021, 05:44   #14
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

That's restricting it more than I was thinking about doing. Paladins are the only fighting class that doesn't seem like dual-wielding type to me. Rangers and Blackguards (and at least one new class) will get dual wielding too. I do restrict the off-hand weapon to a maximum of 11lbs for anyone (maybe less depending on strength), and the main weapon can't be more than 17lbs (or less depending on strength), but it doesn't need to be a sword.

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
Old May 8, 2021, 09:16   #15
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
TomeNET got pretty cool duel-wield system https://www.tomenet.eu/guide.php?search=Dual-wield ; it's polished for years, so maybe you will be able to find there some useful ideas
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2021, 09:37   #16
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
TomeNET got pretty cool duel-wield system https://www.tomenet.eu/guide.php?search=Dual-wield ; it's polished for years, so maybe you will be able to find there some useful ideas
I will take a look at that, thanks

Old May 8, 2021, 10:47   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Will--
I don't see how you could dual wield anything but swords. I also like the way Sil does heavy-ish weapons like the Bastard sword. You can use it one handed with a shield. Or you can use it two handed for more damage. The very heaviest weapons require two hands to use at all.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2021, 04:56   #18
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Will--
I don't see how you could dual wield anything but swords. I also like the way Sil does heavy-ish weapons like the Bastard sword. You can use it one handed with a shield. Or you can use it two handed for more damage. The very heaviest weapons require two hands to use at all.
On one hand, Angband kind of has a tradition of being unrealistic about this kind of thing with wielding a two-handed sword and still being able to hold a shield (and now shield bash). One the other hand, I had second thoughts about my restrictions in my most recent game when I could wield a lucerne hammer in the off-hand. So I'll figure out something slightly more realistic, probably I'll have must stricter weight restrictions on anything that isn't a sword. (I can imaging dual-wielding with a small axe or small war hammer in the off-hand). I like the idea of giving a bonus to heavy weapons when not wielding anything in the off-hand.