Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old July 17, 2009, 15:47   #111
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Just began delving into Etrian Odyssey II for the DS. Hardcore, old school RPG deliciousness.
Old July 20, 2009, 14:05   #112
ramela
Apprentice

ramela is on a distinguished road
Blood Bowl, in all it's variations.

'Nuff(le) said.
ramela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 14:19   #113
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
One of my good friends quit WoW, tried WAR and some other notable MMORPGs and then got into Runes of Magic, which is a free WoW clone. I was skeptical, but I looked at some gameplay video and it looks pretty impressive for a free clone.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/gggames_se/videos/10/
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 18:25   #114
LCC
Adept

Donated: $20
LCC is on a distinguished road
Over the past 23 years I have spent over 70000 hours (about 60 hours a week average) playing computer games. The most recent games played since 2000 were the Master of Orion series, the Sid Meier's Civilization series, and the Space Empires series by Malfador Machinations. I also played Hack, Nethack, Moria, Larn, and Linley's dungeon crawl. So I bring an exceedingly great experience at playing games to my attempts to win Angband. I say with great authority that this game needs a well written MANUAL!
Old July 22, 2009, 19:04   #115
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
Over the past 23 years I have spent over 70000 hours (about 60 hours a week average) playing computer games. The most recent games played since 2000 were the Master of Orion series, the Sid Meier's Civilization series, and the Space Empires series by Malfador Machinations. I also played Hack, Nethack, Moria, Larn, and Linley's dungeon crawl. So I bring an exceedingly great experience at playing games to my attempts to win Angband. I say with great authority that this game needs a well written MANUAL!
I think James Doyle, who has spent a long time writing this, would hope that it satisfied your needs. If it doesn't, start a thread about the improvements you'd like to see ...

Have you really managed 60 hours a week average? I've played quite a lot of games over the past 30 years, but I suspect that my average is only a handful of hours per week. I can remember a few periods where I probably averaged 60 hours a week for half a dozen weeks (MoO1 springs to mind), but I don't think I could keep it up. What do you do for a living that allows you 60 hours a week of gaming time??
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 21:12   #116
LCC
Adept

Donated: $20
LCC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I think James Doyle, who has spent a long time writing this, would hope that it satisfied your needs. If it doesn't, start a thread about the improvements you'd like to see ...
Have you really managed 60 hours a week average? I've played quite a lot of games over the past 30 years, but I suspect that my average is only a handful of hours per week. I can remember a few periods where I probably averaged 60 hours a week for half a dozen weeks (MoO1 springs to mind), but I don't think I could keep it up. What do you do for a living that allows you 60 hours a week of gaming time??
Thanks for the link!
I played more than 80 for the past 19 years up to a couple of years ago.
I have been unemployed since IBM fired me for excessive absenteeism on Memorial day in 1990. See my resume at :

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....29723b726955fc

I became tired of the job search being fruitless in 1997 and did some things which got me declared crazy. With that declaration, I qualified for a VA mental disability pension. I have been riding the gravy train for 12 years now (currently getting $985 per month). I do not miss work at all...
Old August 11, 2009, 12:59   #117
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I am playing "King's Bounty - The Legend" since it came out last autumn.
I stopped playing for no specific reason in february and started again a few days ago.
This game is surprisingly addicting.

I have been playing the Heroes of Might and Magic series from the very beginning. KBTL is similiar and different in many aspects.
It's one very large campaign sprawling over five different isles populated by the usual fantasy races. There are lots of decent or funny side quests and many battles to be fought.
You can choose among three starting classes (warrior, paladin and mage) and struggle your way through the game with different sorts of troops, which often may change depending on the area you are exploring.
There are lots of spells and items and special "Spirits of Rage" to encourage your cause. You may even marry and get advantages from the skills of your wife and your upcoming children.

The world is very colorful und atmospheric, even moody sometimes. For example, the setting and quests on the Freedom Islands resemble the swashbuckling Pirates of the Carribean feeling.

Oh, an addon is on it's way too.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...ountythelegend

Last edited by Mondkalb; March 24, 2014 at 09:49.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 19:16   #118
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I used to play the old King's Bounty game (the one that The Legend was based on) a long time ago and liked it a lot. But we've gotten a new computer since and we can't reinstall it because our source disk from when we bought the game was a 5 1/4 inch floppy..
I could win that game on with no trouble on the hardest skill level, but I'm sure there's a lot more to the new version.

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009, 07:13   #119
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I have played the original once, a couple of years ago. I think I downloaded it somewhere.
Compared even to the original Heroes of Might and Magic from 1995 it looks quite outdated.

2001 there was also a version for Sony Playstation 2, titled "Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff ".
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009, 18:50   #120
Whelk
Adept

Whelk is on a distinguished road
Ah, I remember the old King's Bounty. I liked having an army of archmages, demons, vampires and dragons so I could fly over all those deserts on the last continent without wasting so much time.

I've been tempted to get the new one, but I've got enough on my gaming plate (both playing and developing) at the moment.
Whelk is offline   Reply With Quote