Colonization is on it's way to resurrection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civiliz...:_Colonization
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 17:47   #72
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
That's awesome. Last time I checked into this, there was some home grown project called colonization II that never went anywhere. Kudos to EA for bringing back a classic.
Thanks for the info.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 03:46   #73
Wraitheist
Adept

Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
The only game I'm really playing other than Angband right now is Team Fortress 2. I have Warhammer Online on preorder, but after playing the beta, I'm not really looking forward to it all that much. I'm anxiously awaiting Diablo 3, but that could be years down the road.

I am trying to get into Nethack and ADOM, but the identification system is really giving me a hard time (I guess Angband's straightforward system has spoiled me). Also, in Nethack, getting my pet to follow me drives me nuts. He keeps wanting to wander off...

One game that I've spent dozens of hours playing is Mordor: The Depths of Dejonol It reminds me very of much of a roguelike, though I don't know if it is considered one. Those dozens of hours I spoke of were spent playing the demo, actually. One of these days I'm going to get around to paying for the full game. The price seems a bit steep for such an oldie, though.
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 15:54   #74
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
By the way, for anybody who enjoyed the oldschool Warhammer games, the Warhammer Online open beta starts Sept 8 for 10 days before their release date of Sept 18. It'll be a free download and trial, so I recommend trying it out if that kind of game suits you.

http://www.warhammeronline.com
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2008, 01:10   #75
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfechu View Post
I probably wasted a fair portion of my teenage years on Elite.
Concerning Elite... Did you ever encounter the Pseudo 'Tribbbles'. The rapid-breeding fuzz-balls that would eventually conceal you view screen and clog your cargo hold, eating any edibles. If so, did you ever get rid of them? If so, how?

I used to take the escape pod which would reduce their numbers remaining to 2 or 3, but then they would start breeding again. I eventually stopped playing because of them.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2008, 04:23   #76
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
By the way, for anybody who enjoyed the oldschool Warhammer games, the Warhammer Online open beta starts Sept 8 for 10 days before their release date of Sept 18. [/url]
I got a bit excited there until I realized that it was a Warhammer themed MMORPG. I'd pay for an online version of WH40k with a lot of users and modern glitter. I guess there's not a large enough audience to make that a paying proposition though.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2008, 08:58   #77
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Well, the Blood Bowl game currently being developed promises to be a faithful adaptation of the board game, so I definitely want that, and 40K is a lot more popular so you never know.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2008, 16:53   #78
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Concerning Elite... Did you ever encounter the Pseudo 'Tribbbles'. The rapid-breeding fuzz-balls that would eventually conceal you view screen and clog your cargo hold, eating any edibles. If so, did you ever get rid of them? If so, how?

I used to take the escape pod which would reduce their numbers remaining to 2 or 3, but then they would start breeding again. I eventually stopped playing because of them.
I've never actually got far enough in Elite to encounter them, but think I read that you can kill them by flying close enough to a star to cook them.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2008, 04:27   #79
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Anyone play Munchkin? That's recently become one of my favorite games.

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2008, 23:21   #80
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
Well, the Blood Bowl game currently being developed promises to be a faithful adaptation of the board game, so I definitely want that, and 40K is a lot more popular so you never know.
Hmm- interesting. I never played Blood Bowl actually. My impression is that it's... Dwarves and Orks playing football with weapons? I can see that being good for some chuckles.

Anyway, truth be told I have a hard time seeing either 40k or trad Warhammer given the full treatment. I love true wargames, and I used to play a couple rabidly via PBEM, but I have a hard time imagining that there is the audience to support a cutting edge online wargame. They are fatiguing, and it seems to me that not many people are looking for a game that is more tasking than their job, as a pastime.

EDIT: and beyond that there are some difficulties with online turn-based games... at least with chess and go you can calculate while your opponent is thinking, and he only has to make _one_ move. Even there the game tends to devolve into a click-fest as the clocks run down. Waiting for your opponent to move in a wargame can be excruciating if both players have to be present. Even very simple games (like Wesnoth) suffer from this.

Last edited by aeneas; September 21, 2008 at 00:05.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote