Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 23, 2015, 16:32   #1
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Potions of resist poison

I find strange that a poisoned character drinking a potion of resist poison doesn't get the poison removed. It's the case with mushrooms of the clear mind vs confusion.
Old November 23, 2015, 18:15   #2
Bimbul
Adept

Bimbul is on a distinguished road
There is resist poison and neutralise poison.

Presumably (I don't know the coding) resist just makes the time it takes to be no longer poisoned shorter like the slow poison spell of priests. And reduces damage taken by poisoned gas attacks of course - which presumably their real purpose.

I guess it is slightly confusing.
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015, 18:22   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Resist Poison gives you temporary poison resistance, preventing you from becoming poisoned and reducing the direct damage you take from poison attacks (like green dragon/drolem breaths).

It really ought to also cure poison outright. Any temporary effect that gives you resistance to a status ailment should also cure that status ailment -- we see that not just with the mushrooms of Clear Mind but also with Heroism potions vs. fear. It's inconsistent for it not to apply also to potions of Resist Poison.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015, 18:27   #4
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Resist Poison gives you temporary poison resistance, preventing you from becoming poisoned and reducing the direct damage you take from poison attacks (like green dragon/drolem breaths).

It really ought to also cure poison outright. Any temporary effect that gives you resistance to a status ailment should also cure that status ailment -- we see that not just with the mushrooms of Clear Mind but also with Heroism potions vs. fear. It's inconsistent for it not to apply also to potions of Resist Poison.
I agree, FWIW.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015, 20:17   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Does seem kind of obvious.
Old November 24, 2015, 12:52   #6
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Ring of Poison resist could also be enhanced to match elemental rings with activation for stinking cloud plus stacking temporary poison resist for a short while
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015, 13:13   #7
krugar
Apprentice

krugar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I find strange that a poisoned character drinking a potion of resist poison doesn't get the poison removed. It's the case with mushrooms of the clear mind vs confusion.
I think the rationale for this comes from the fact poison is a different type of damage; not instant damage, but damage over time. It both damages and attaches a negative effect.

The potion of Resist Poison follows the normal pattern for damage resistances and exists to accommodate the need to reduce damage input. It's just a Resist X type of potion (with the added benefit it will protect from being affected by the "poisoned" effect).

The potion Cure Poison is the not really an outlier. It is a natural consequence of the way poison works. It simply cures the "poisoned" effect. It's more akin to the Clear Mind example you gave.

Granted, the annoying thing about this is that one will theoretically want to waste 2 inventory slots, instead of just one to deal with poison (assuming no rPos on equipment).
krugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015, 14:41   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Solution: ditch the Neutralize Poison potions, rename Resist Poison to "potion of antivenom" or something. Neutralize Poison potions were pointless anyway considering that CCW (and I think also CSW) does everything they do and more.
Old November 24, 2015, 15:27   #9
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Solution: ditch the Neutralize Poison potions, rename Resist Poison to "potion of antivenom" or something. Neutralize Poison potions were pointless anyway considering that CCW (and I think also CSW) does everything they do and more.
This used to be the case, but no longer: ccw are rare, the shop stocks less than it used to. I commonly carry a poison curative along wirth ccw before I get the resistance - either neutralize poison potions, or a cure staff/rod.

I have ranted about this before, and it is the one thing in this stupid game I really really would want changed: the only reason for me to cure that damn poison is that all my rest macros stop working while poisoned, so I have to click-wait-click-wait for literally hundreds of turns.

Other status effects have the same issue, but not nearly as aggravatingly since they last shorter.

Is there a chance that the dot duration gets capped at a reasonable number of rounds ? Maybe 10 or so.
Long dot is not dangerous at all, just terribly annoying. Hell, even a total removal of the dot effect would be a welcome temporary hotfix, untill someone finds a glorious solution for what poison is going to do.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015, 15:50   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Is there a chance that the dot duration gets capped at a reasonable number of rounds ? Maybe 10 or so.
Long dot is not dangerous at all, just terribly annoying. Hell, even a total removal of the dot effect would be a welcome temporary hotfix, untill someone finds a glorious solution for what poison is going to do.
Solution:
Code:
damage = min(1, timer / 10);
 timer -= damage;
The problem with poison is that the per-turn damage is always only 1 point. Increasing the per-turn damage when you're badly poisoned makes sense, and I'm frankly surprised it wasn't done ages ago.