AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old September 26, 2018, 14:15   #71
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post

I have encountered one situation where I simply could not find the artifact in question, so there may be some strange edge cases. (I may have just been unobservant, of course.)

Just as a reminder, and without assuming that you definitely don't know these things, I'd like to point out that:

* quest levels have the same light blue feeling color as special-feeling levels. (Ctrl-F will show you the real feeling in this case.)
* feelings are not checked nonstop, so it can take a little while from the time when you find the un-IDed artifact until the time when the feeling changes.
I have several times found pockets on the map that are not connected to the main map. I failed the Wargs one time because the last Warg was in a separate branch and my char couldn't tunnel at that point.
So, the artifact may have been there and just isolated.

I am by no means a 'Coder' but I remember way back in Frog-Knows there was a discussion about sufficient Out Of Depth monsters generating a Special feeling. I have NO idea if that is the case or ever was.

Personally, I have lost track of what the level feelings mean. Really surprised me the first time I saw a 'yellow' or a 'red' feeling.
At one point there were two feelings, Treasure and Monsters, no idea anymore of what they mean beyond 'Boring' meaning get the hell off the level, and 'Special' look at everything.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2018, 15:15   #72
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
It also sometimes happens that there's some unidentified object that doesn't show on the wanted list because different rules apply to it, so it's hard to spot unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Usually it's a lamp artifact, I go through the entire level with Detection and don't find anything new and then the art turns out to be a lamp I walked over long ago and forgot to identify.
Old September 27, 2018, 16:19   #73
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

Odd thought...
Anti-magic, magic mushrooms, shut down innate skills/spells, when you try and use them the message is 'your magic is blocked.'
Should attacks in those skill sets benefit from magic bonus damage from items of Wizardry etc?
Old September 27, 2018, 16:53   #74
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
My warrior has a mutation that sometime transforms him into wraith form
All I can tell from the character sheet is that it reduces health, gives immunity to darkness damage and gives reflection
I think I read that wraithform (spell) reduces the incoming damage by a good amount, is that also the cause with the mutation, is it a good mutation for a warrior to have

tldr: should I remove wraith form mutation
Wraithform should also allow you to move through walls, if my memory isn't betraying me. That can have substantial tactical benefits, but if I recall correctly you don't want to be inside of a wall when the wraithform runs out. A Stone to Mud effect can dig you a cozy little coffin in the middle of the wall, if you aren't good enough at tunneling to produce one on demand.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 18:15   #75
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Wrsithform lets you pass through walls, where you take a little damage every turn, but are immune to spells. It is very powerful.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 18:17   #76
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
My balrog warrior has auto-pickup of items his race/class needs (human corpses)
When he was temporarily transformed into a snotling human corpses were autodestroyed
That sounds very buggy, thanks.

I think all harps are unenchantable, precisely because they cannot be enchanted. It's so no one wastes time or scrolls trying to enchant harps
Old September 28, 2018, 18:36   #77
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

Speaking of enchantable, Should Gloves/Gauntlets ATK/DMG be enchantable?
If not by scroll/spell, maybe a merchant or new scroll type?
Old September 28, 2018, 23:57   #78
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
Speaking of enchantable, Should Gloves/Gauntlets ATK/DMG be enchantable?
If not by scroll/spell, maybe a merchant or new scroll type?
That's an interesting idea, but one that sounds like it would seriously disrupt game balance. If gloves with weaker bonuses could be enchanted to be as strong as gloves with better bonuses, they'd no longer be weaker; and if all gloves could be enchanted equally without changing their relative strengths, that would just be a lot of extra melee damage.
Old September 29, 2018, 03:18   #79
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
I have a warrior with mastery in dual wielding and with gloves of genji, and yet I think his dps against AC 175 is no better then wielding a weapon 2-handed
Am I missing something or is dual wielding now only a good option for berserkers and ninjas
Supposing your math is right, that means that compared to wielding a single weapon 2-handed you're getting the resists, bonuses etc. of two weapons instead of one without really losing much. (You do need to carry the weight of two weapons and will trigger monster auras more often, but if the weapons are sufficiently good statsticks that's still an excellent trade.)

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21451, for example, dual-wielded successfully for a long time without genji gloves or dual-wielding abilities. Towards the end it was probably a mistake to keep dual-wielding; as wobbly correctly notes in the comments, single-wielding would have been better. But for much of the game it made sense (despite probably being bad from a pure damage point of view) because it allowed him to wield two statsticks simultaneously.
Old September 29, 2018, 07:18   #80
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Samurai has hidden bonuses for katanas and wakashis. I suspect 2-handed weapons being best damage is by design. However dual-wield is good if you find 2 great light weapons before a 2-hander. Sting and another artifact short sword can be strong but mostly dual-wield is worse outside the dual-wield classes. Even when it's good getting the skill on-line can take longer then finding a more appropriate weapon.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband