AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 21, 2019, 20:11   #231
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
But yeah, the law/chaos/balance names seem to directly come from D&D's lawful/chaotic/neutral alignments and I'd also like to find a good name for them.
Honestly I think they're pretty good. Even if they do look similar at a glance to D&D, they're pretty distinct; Chaos is chaotic because it, well, breathes chaos. Balance isn't D&D Neutral, but rather chaos and lawful combined.

About the worst you can say about them IMO is that "Law" isn't a great term for the antipode of Chaos. Maybe call them Great Wyrm of Order / Order Drake?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019, 21:21   #232
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick- doesn't FA's sky dragon mostly breath electricity? That is the nastiest base element by far. (Only mage casters double resist, immunity is rare, and usually does 2x more damage than acid or poison.)
Also light, gravity, sound and force. I lifted them directly

Maybe the solution is to bring back great wyrms of law and chaos at DL75 (where they were), and push the 4 big ones and Ancalagon a bit deeper.
Old February 21, 2019, 22:12   #233
Youssarian
Rookie

Youssarian is on a distinguished road
I have played this game for years and have enjoyed it in all its iterations. Thank you to everyone that has made and continues to make this a game worth playing time and again. Although making the game more core Tolkien is great, I don't think everything non-Tolkien should just be thrown out because it isn't "core".

The game's history should be considered and the fact that it has evolved so much, that fact benefits the game.

I would in fact like to see some monsters that aren't Tolkien, but take into account all the history of the game. In particular, I would love to see an official unique made for each maintainer of the game. Perhaps make them like farmer maggot so you randomly encounter them in the town.

I would also love to see monsters such as Fallen Numenorean (high level warrior). Just a thought.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!
Youssarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019, 23:13   #234
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
About 20 monsters have been removed. It's not a very long list, it has maybe 2 or 3 uniques on it (the greek giants basically). Most of them are <adjective> <color> <animal>.

Adding back player ghosts would allow us to also include former maintainers.

I would love to see Numenoreans added. I dunno how much content there is to mine there, in the source material, but it's one of the most prominent evil armies of middle-earth. It forced the world to be remade.

Also please add the sons of feanor. Hell, they could actually kind of take the place of the former early ringwraiths, since they do appear to be variably powerful in the source material.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 00:21   #235
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Adding back player ghosts would allow us to also include former maintainers.
Ha! That's sneaky, I love it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 00:29   #236
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ha! That's sneaky, I love it.
This was done previously in some variants (intially O or NPP, I think), where the default bones files were all former variant maintainers or other well-known people. See here for some examples from FA.
Old February 22, 2019, 01:55   #237
Youssarian
Rookie

Youssarian is on a distinguished road
This has also probably been done in other variants, but it would be very cool if very rarely, you encountered a Hero also delving the level.

You could have a few and it could be random. Gandelf, Ecthelion, Galadriel, etc. Maybe have their presence on the level included somehow in the level feeling. But it should be something very rare like once or twice at most in a game if at all.

They could be like a borg that goes through the level until either they die or find a down stair and head down immediately (whether you found them or not). You could make that level have ONLY one down stairs so they don't go down too quickly.

Whether @ is a true monster and wants to attack Hurin is the only question! The Hero should not be aggressive towards @ though. This could be added to the end of quest history at what level the Hero was found. Perhaps you could even earn a Title by either helping the hero leave the level or killing it.

This might be too difficult to do, I don't really know.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!
Youssarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 08:55   #238
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Adding Ghosts is a small thing and can be fun. However, if you like in NetHack also include the items carried it becomes a huge thing. In Nethack you can't expect to quickly id and uncurse the items but it only takes e.g. a unicorn horn and some fountains and...

I'd be happy to see ghosts as discussed but recommend that drops be based on the normal drop algorithms instead of what was carried at death.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 11:00   #239
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This was done previously in some variants (intially O or NPP, I think), where the default bones files were all former variant maintainers or other well-known people. See here for some examples from FA.
Hahaha, "bitter, twisted, and evil..."
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 11:03   #240
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Old Man Willow now has an armor class
The old tree may have an armor class, but according to the description, he only has gnarled old fingers in the month of May. I'm sure you meant "many".
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote