Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 16, 2008, 10:59   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
That's exactly my toolset, with two more bits for svn up, svn ci, svn diff and svn merge. Don't people send you patches? What then? SVN is easier than manual applying of patches and moreover makes your every change a patch that you may afterwards manipulate, too (e.g. view a log of them).
I've thought it might be helpful from time to time, but it's never seemed worth the time to learn; also, I tend to like staying as low level as possible. I also keep a diary of all the work I've done on FA, and I do now use kompare (KDE diff frontend) quite a bit - although I still generally make changes by hand.

Quote:
BTW, how to you set up emacs not to break Angband coding guidlines? I tried for months and failed.
I don't follow the guidelines - I have reformatted most of the code to follow the emacs defaults (two space tabs, etc). When I started it was on a laptop with a smallish screen, so I try not to break 80 chars per line.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:55   #12
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I've thought it might be helpful from time to time,
Well, of course you know best. And even if you don't, you have all the right to stay irrational and use First Age tools (-3, -8). But just for the fun of discussing the issue to death, I'd like to argue a bit more.

Quote:
but it's never seemed worth the time to learn
You probably mean the worth of your comfort, but it's also the comfort and ease of collaboration of other people. Not that there's a whole lot of other people that could possibly get interested in contributing to an Angband variant, SVN or not...

Quote:
also, I tend to like staying as low level as possible.
svn diff | less, that I use a lot, is quite lower level than KDE kompare. Of course there are good SVN modes for emacs, but the Angband mood must be such that I prefer lower level, too. BTW, I find the diff mode of emacs really great for simultaneous comparing and editing. Never tried kompare (I'm a gnome-man, or rather FVWM and commandline).

Quote:
I also keep a diary of all the work I've done on FA
I guess you'd find keeping the diary with the help of SVN really similar to what you do now. Iinstead of 'emacs my_secret_diary', you'd do 'svn ci' that fires up emacs (actually $EDITOR) automatically. The result would be more accurate, linked with actual code changes, at once online.

Quote:
I don't follow the guidelines - I have reformatted most of the code to follow the emacs defaults (two space tabs, etc). When I started it was on a laptop with a smallish screen, so I try not to break 80 chars per line.
I like 80 chars, too and I can stand 2 spaces. Perhaps we could agree on something here? I guess the true emacs way is spaces instead of tabs and GNU formatting style, but I'm not sure these were the defaults you talk about. It's high time that Angband be liberated from the vi yoke.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2008, 12:48   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
The tunneling crash still happens, but *only* (as far as I can tell) when you've attempted (fruitlessly) to increase/decrease the tile width or height.
OK, my testing has concluded that tunnelling crashes the game in XP if and only if NumLock is off; in fact, the regular arrow keys have the same effect. Moral: Numlock on in XP for now.
Old July 16, 2008, 21:12   #14
roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And even if you don't, you have all the right to stay irrational and use First Age tools (-3, -8).
If emacs is First Age, what is vi? (Although I'm partial to cat and ed for small programs, I usually break down and use vi for Angband. "cat - | gcc -x c - ; ./a.out" teaches you not to make too many mistakes.)

[Mistakes like forgetting that . is not in my path...]

Last edited by roustk; July 16, 2008 at 21:25.
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2008, 22:15   #15
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
That's a misunderstading. Emacs is (+3, +26). What is (-3, -8), is my_secret_diary, non-versioned filesystem and an archive copy every few days for source control. About the power of vi I can say nothing --- I've never managed to exit it without friend's help or perhaps kill -9 (though it might be immune even to that, I can't remember). What I know from hearsay, though, it that vi has no automatic indent, so coding styles affected by vi end up with too complex tab rules that smart people can follow, but computer tools and emacs users fail badly. That's unfair.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2008, 22:52   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Well, of course you know best. And even if you don't, you have all the right to stay irrational and use First Age tools (-3, -8). But just for the fun of discussing the issue to death, I'd like to argue a bit more.

You probably mean the worth of your comfort, but it's also the comfort and ease of collaboration of other people. Not that there's a whole lot of other people that could possibly get interested in contributing to an Angband variant, SVN or not...

svn diff | less, that I use a lot, is quite lower level than KDE kompare. Of course there are good SVN modes for emacs, but the Angband mood must be such that I prefer lower level, too. BTW, I find the diff mode of emacs really great for simultaneous comparing and editing. Never tried kompare (I'm a gnome-man, or rather FVWM and commandline).

I guess you'd find keeping the diary with the help of SVN really similar to what you do now. Iinstead of 'emacs my_secret_diary', you'd do 'svn ci' that fires up emacs (actually $EDITOR) automatically. The result would be more accurate, linked with actual code changes, at once online.
Meh. All still looking like too much work to learn
Old July 16, 2008, 23:34   #17
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
vim has automatic indentation, and the true one, ie. one tab per level. No two-spaces nonsense... Also this talk is rather off-topic in this thread
Old July 17, 2008, 00:01   #18
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Quote:
FA really is a two-bit operation.
A very fine two-bit operation.
2 bit operated ?

http://www.bitburger.com/

.. sorry, couldn't resist
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2008, 00:08   #19
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Also this talk is rather off-topic in this thread
On the upside, though, no one's reporting bugs But maybe that means no one's playing

Ahh, the life of a maintainer...
Old July 17, 2008, 02:15   #20
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
On the upside, though, no one's reporting bugs But maybe that means no one's playing

Ahh, the life of a maintainer...
I have to buy a DS before I can play it, sadly...
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote