Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2018, 12:35   #61
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,190
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Iow don't bother; confuse is similarly useless
Man, you're going to hate druids
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018, 12:42   #62
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 599
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Conversely if they rely on slow and confuse I'd probably love them if we got old slow and confuse back.

I feel like we listened to everyone who didn't like using status effects for that change. Slow and confuse are my bread and butter.

Sorry I have nothing to contribute other than griping over that change (if it was reverted who would miss it?), I haven't been able to enjoy a game of vanilla since it went in.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018, 23:56   #63
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,565
Estie is on a distinguished road
Nick obviously has ideas and I was going to wait for them to show up before commenting, but since other people didnt wait, here are a few thoughts of mine:

The new mage, as of its first version, is a challenge compared to the old one or indeed any other class. He gets banishment later just like the old mage, but there is another option. He could get big spell damage instead - numbers comparable to ranger, just from casting his dungeon book spells. No banishment - that could be a necromancer thing ? - but in any case, I dont agree with Tibarius when he says that banishemnt breaks the game.

Instead of saying "a mage should play like X", I think the attraction of Angband doesnt come from picking the right way to play a class, but rather from the fact that there are transitions during a characters career.
By that I mean distinct phases which have a different way to solve the problems; the next phase always having the allure of being able to deal with previously hard problems more easily.
For old mage, the biggest (but not only) transition was gaining the ability to cast banishment. You have to get there first - it requires the book, enough hp and a low enough fail rate to do efficiently - and once there, the game becomes an easy (or boring - which is the same thing) farming of stat potions and items before winning the game.

Now you can argue that getting loot by banishing vault inhabitants is broken, and I wouldnt disagree. But that isnt a bad thing. Because it doesnt last long - with that efficent a way of getting loot, youre soon ready for the bossfights - and, and this is the main point, because the actual phases dont matter that much.
The interesting play happens during a transition, between phases, while you are trying to get to the next phase - please pause here and think about this. -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Banishment isnt good because it creates a great mage playstyle, but rather because it is a delicious carrot dangling in front of the mages nose in his earlier levels. With such a carrot ahead, you can justify all the suffering from low hit points and low damage and whatever else you dont want to give the early mage.

Balancae in Angband has always been utility + killing power = constant, and I dont see why that should change. With that given, we have the old classes:

Warrior: highest average damage, lowest utility
Ranger: highest peak damage, medium utility
Mage: lowest damage, best utility

Other classes differ in some way, but the sum remains more or less constant.

With 4 casters to fit in there, how can they be made different without breaking the balance ?

One combination not existing in previous angband has been high spell damage, low utility. Mage gets banishment, which is the ultimate utility spell, but no big damage. So I see the possibility with the new mage, who has been denied some utility compared to his old self, to continue on that path, and instead of giving him banishment to make up for the early suffering, give him high damage spells. Again, a nuking mage maybe isnt the greatest concept, but the point is to make him suffer earlier to eventually achieve demigod status.

So maybe arcane mage could be nuker in the endgame, while necromancer could be king of utility - like old mage, with banishment and mass version. Or the other way round - awaiting Nick´s input.

As for crowd control/debuffs, or druid, or whatever is planned:
In angaband, cc effects havent been competitive since players learned how to win win the game. You always take a speed potion over a slow monster wand.

A druid who has a very efficteve way of cc and picks that over self buffs is an option. The old saying that if you can do it once, you have to do it all the time applies, but that is ok if the cc playstyle is a phase and eventually gets replaced (or is preceded ba a phase of different playstyle).

In this sense, I liked Nick´s starting concept of the new mage: start with utility and make do without killing spells, to get to a stage where you have powerful damage spells. One might argue that sneaking around and collecting loot is more of a rogue thing, and I would agree, but that is only a means to get to the state of being a mage and fireballing enemies. This is 2 distinct stages, the second stage superior to the first, and work to be done to achieve it.

Since Nick obviously has ideas of his own, i´ll keep waiting for more caster classes to test (:
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 00:28   #64
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 599
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
You always take a speed potion over a slow monster wand.
If you have tons of both. But early on speed potions are something you're rationing out for emergencies or killing uniques - unless you have plenty, then you can use them for every encounter. But slow monster can be used for almost every encounter, it's a bit more fiddly than a potion of speed but it can often be just as effective. And it's cumulative with a potion of speed. With the full-los area effect version it becomes a good option in more varieties of situation, and confusion is even better.

(All that applies to classic confuse/slow)
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 00:39   #65
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,565
Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
If you have tons of both. But early on speed potions are something you're rationing out for emergencies or killing uniques - unless you have plenty, then you can use them for every encounter. But slow monster can be used for almost every encounter, it's a bit more fiddly than a potion of speed but it can often be just as effective. And it's cumulative with a potion of speed. With the full-los area effect version it becomes a good option in more varieties of situation, and confusion is even better.

(All that applies to classic confuse/slow)
Sure, but if inventors is limited and you want to pick one of speed/slow, which do you pick ?
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 01:34   #66
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
kaypy is on a distinguished road
A few more points:

What is the use case for Thrust Away? It seemed to me redundant with Explosion

In the early books, I would tend to swap detect monsters and detect stair/door/trap. The "who do I want to avoid" is a more important initial consideration for a fragile mage. But its a minor niggle (now that I can sacrifice my entire starting inventory to that all-important magic missile).

I would be tending towards dumping Identify as a spell (having just gone through a game without). I suppose its useful for ironman?...

For those of us who still tend toward a siegeing playstyle the book allocation depths are a big difference from Keleks dropping right at the bottom of the dungeon.
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 01:49   #67
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,190
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Conversely if they rely on slow and confuse I'd probably love them if we got old slow and confuse back.

I feel like we listened to everyone who didn't like using status effects for that change. Slow and confuse are my bread and butter.

Sorry I have nothing to contribute other than griping over that change (if it was reverted who would miss it?), I haven't been able to enjoy a game of vanilla since it went in.
All right, let's have a serious think about this. I am currently planning the new Druid class, with monster status effects to have a prominent part (especially in the early-mid game). So here are some questions (be specific):
  • What is good about the new status effects?
  • What is bad about them?
  • What actual before-and-after played experience can anyone relate to indicate whether changes should be made?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 02:12   #68
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,190
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The interesting play happens during a transition, between phases, while you are trying to get to the next phase
Yes, interesting - I hadn't thought of that explicitly, although in hindsight it's kind of implicit in some of my choices of when spells are learned (as you said later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
So maybe arcane mage could be nuker in the endgame, while necromancer could be king of utility - like old mage, with banishment and mass version. Or the other way round - awaiting Nick´s input.
I'm inclined to think mages keep the banishment spells, which are more about dungeon control (these creatures are no longer there) than mass killing. Necromancers will be more about actually killing stuff, which will involve greater personal risk but also give experience and loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
A druid who has a very efficteve way of cc and picks that over self buffs is an option. The old saying that if you can do it once, you have to do it all the time applies, but that is ok if the cc playstyle is a phase and eventually gets replaced (or is preceded ba a phase of different playstyle).
Yes, I'm seeing them as having crowd control, environment shaping, self-reliance (satisfy hunger, etc) and then some decent damage/status spells ("weather" effects like ice storm) late game.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 02:16   #69
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,190
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
A few more points:

What is the use case for Thrust Away? It seemed to me redundant with Explosion
OK, I hadn't actually thought of those as similar, but I see your point. The idea of Thrust Away is that you can keep damaging a single enemy while keeping it out of melee (and dangerous breath) range, whereas Explosion is more targeted at hitting multiple enemies. Possibly damage/mana need tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
For those of us who still tend toward a siegeing playstyle the book allocation depths are a big difference from Keleks dropping right at the bottom of the dungeon.
With only three dungeon books it's not as clear where they should drop - that's also up for discussion.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018, 09:53   #70
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,407
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
All right, let's have a serious think about this. I am currently planning the new Druid class, with monster status effects to have a prominent part (especially in the early-mid game). So here are some questions (be specific):
  • What is good about the new status effects?
  • What is bad about them?
  • What actual before-and-after played experience can anyone relate to indicate whether changes should be made?
Good: they're finally useful, as you can stun/confuse/slow almost everything (including Morgoth)
Bad: once you have a sling of buckland or heavy xbow of extra shots, you won't care much about status effects (or anything else for that matter), so yeah they're basically early/midgame stuff
Changes: add a mass effect version of those for the endgame (see mages with Bedlam for example)
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm considering making a new Sil branch Quirk Sil 46 October 19, 2017 19:27
Trap/door feature branch Nick Vanilla 220 November 15, 2016 09:56
Curses feature branch Nick Vanilla 153 November 14, 2016 21:09
svn branch Pete Mack Vanilla 55 August 16, 2010 11:28
feature request: display magic item failure rates bebo Vanilla 5 February 12, 2009 21:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.