AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 8, 2021, 16:23   #91
whartung
Adept

whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Also wondering what happens when a floor is completely cleared? Will no monsters ever spawn there again, or do some still spawn randomly?
I don't know, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the existing monsters aren't mating, so respawns would happen on an empty level.

The monsters mating would bring a very twisted variant in to the game...
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021, 16:26   #92
DavidMedley
Veteran

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
White Worms and I both breed explosively
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021, 16:51   #93
swim
Apprentice

swim is on a distinguished road
Thanks! =p

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a run with persistent levels and selling on. Not sure why but this seems to be the most appealing to me. Sort of Diablo-esque I suppose
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021, 20:42   #94
bughunter
Adept

bughunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I don't know, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the existing monsters aren't mating, so respawns would happen on an empty level.

The monsters mating would bring a very twisted variant in to the game...
Bangband.

(so very sorry)
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021, 21:43   #95
swim
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter View Post
Bangband.

(so very sorry)
Rule 34 xD
Old March 8, 2021, 21:58   #96
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I had a read through this thread and I was just wondering if all the changes you mentioned regarding monster spawning and such have since been implemented? I looked through the change logs of versions since that feature was introduced and while they mention big fixes they don't specifically mention fixes to the persistent level feature.

Also wondering what happens when a floor is completely cleared? Will no monsters ever spawn there again, or do some still spawn randomly?
Just getting slightly back on track...

No, none of the changes to monster spawning got implemented - so let us know how you get on. And monsters do spawn randomly while you're on a level, so that will still happen (but currently only on the level you're on).
Old March 8, 2021, 22:07   #97
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
monsters will continue to randomly spawn (in some hilarious instances, very quickly).
I do not know if this applies to Uniques as well, but i would think yes. Save those Staves of Summoning !
Old March 8, 2021, 22:58   #98
swim
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Just getting slightly back on track...

No, none of the changes to monster spawning got implemented - so let us know how you get on. And monsters do spawn randomly while you're on a level, so that will still happen (but currently only on the level you're on).
Thanks! I suppose I'll give it a try anyways Though since it's my first real run I don't think I'll have any insight as to how it plays compared to the regular way.

Are there any plans to implement these at all in the future?

" - Have monsters on saved levels heal over time
- Make uniques and artifacts able to be generated on new levels (or by newly spawning on the current level) regardless of if they exist on a saved level; the previous one would just be deleted from where it was.
"
Old March 9, 2021, 16:51   #99
swim
Apprentice

I have a suggestion,

It would be cool if there could be an option for levels to persist only as long as you remain in the dungeon. For example, you could descend down a few levels, then ascend quickly retracing your steps as the map is already filled out. But once you get to the town the dungeon would then reset everything.

For me this would solve a couple of concerns. I would get the enhanced feeling of immersion in the game knowing that there is some persistence, being able to revisit skipped areas on my way out and things like that. But I would also have the option to grind out early levels if I wanted to by simply returning to the surface.
Old March 9, 2021, 17:43   #100
whartung
Adept

whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
" - Have monsters on saved levels heal over time
- Make uniques and artifacts able to be generated on new levels (or by newly spawning on the current level) regardless of if they exist on a saved level; the previous one would just be deleted from where it was.
"
Of course the problem here is that as you dive, you're building up a longer and longer list of monsters that need to be "maintained" and worked through each time you move (or even every X turns).

Imagine the trivial case of a fast dive, lots of "fresh" levels with lots of monsters that weren't even touched, vs a bunch of mostly empty levels because most of the monsters were cleared out. Plus, those levels will be growing (perhaps) to some capacity as new monsters spawned.

Finally, the "worst case" scenario is that you're down there dodging bullets and death with Morgoth, while the game is checking if a yeek needs to be healed or that there simply needs to be more yeeks on Level 1. An area that you'll probably never go back to, much less find any challenge in.

Now, you could do something like only "manage" the levels +/-5 levels of where you are, things like that to limit the processing.

But, the basic point is that it can be a lot of work to do, and it has to happen "often".
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote