Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old Yesterday, 17:30   #671
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Traps

I thought we'd addressed traps. A chest that fires nine needles? Really?
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:57   #672
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
A few quick thoughts:
  • Rangers will not be a complete looking class until the monster list is redone; I'm aiming to have monster tracking of the player done by smell, sound, sight and "life force detection", and rangers will get spells to manipulate the first two or three of those
  • For now I'll probably give rangers better archery, and possibly do monster traps
  • Some of fizzix's priest issues are improved by removing race experience modifiers; I'm also considering playing with the experience curve
  • Monster list redo is needed to improve pacing as well (some actual deep monsters, for example)

I hope to get an update out this weekend which will address some of the class issues that have come up during the comp (note - few complaints about rogues or paladins...)
Old Today, 08:57   #673
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnies View Post
Just beat M with HE mage

Some comments:
Here is what I've changed for the next build:

Quote:
+ Losing CurePoison. Annoying, but non lethal. I used to mbd and R& (both macroed), which takes <5 seconds. Now I have to spamwait to wear off Pois, while !CLWing to top myself up, while watching for monsters. Annoying. !CCW and !NeutralizePois is not always available at this stage
There are a few like this which have gone because of class differentiation, and an attempt to get away from "everybody gets everything, except warriors" syndrome. Made !NeutralisePoison a bit more common.

Quote:
+ Losing SatisfyHunger. Annoying, but non lethal. It used to be when PermLight was available I could keep going without surfacing. Now I have to use a slot or two on food / ?SatisfyHunger (more weight), and keep food unsquelched (more junk on floor to parse). Although food is almost always available in the dungeon, it's annoying when you've spent alot of time clearing a vault and go hungry without food on the level
Nothing yet - there may be some changes to food coming to make it more interesting generally.

Quote:
++ Losing DisableTraps. There is no way to overcome traps if I haven't found devices or book2. If I want to walk through a corridor in a mini vault with a trapdoor or summontrap in the way, I used to disabletrap, or tunnel around the problem. Now I can do nothing except turn back, or roll the dice and pray
Third book is now a town book; this should fix several issues..

Quote:
++ Losing SpearOfLight. Ranged lighting into rooms and down corridors was a crucial spell in the mage repertoire for advance vision and gathering intel at all stages of the game. Now I'm crippled until I find devices, and they occupy a slot in my inventory nearly the entire game (unless I find 'A' enlightment)

++ Losing StoneToMud. Terraforming the environment is another crucial mage spell, for gaining tactical advantage, taking shortcuts, getting to vaults, and is relevant at all stages of the game. Similar to previous I have to collect devices and occupies a slot in my bag the entire game, and I feel crippled without it
More casualties of class differentiation. Added wands of Light and StM to magic shop (and removed wands of Stun and Hold Monster).

Quote:
+++ Losing TeleSelf. This one is lethal. It used to be available at cLvl 7, now I need _Tele which costs 2900gp and isn't always available in the shop. The spell isn't just escape, it disengaged. Now if I get into a bad situation I spam ?Phase and run to staircase hoping whatever isn't fast and doesn't catchup
Now in a town book.

Quote:
+ Acid Spray. Barely used. Failrate too high, range too low. Used FrostBolt 98% of the time. By the time it becomes decent I had other options
Reduced failrate, made it radius 10 instead of 4. See if that's useful.

Quote:
+ Disruption. Barely used. TO was good enough, and I like to think that if you're in a situation that requires you to TO a clump of enemies you probably screwed up anyway (short of summoners)
I think you're right, I've removed this.

Quote:
++ TapEnergy. I love the concept behind this spell, but I couldn't make it work. Failrate is too high when I get it. When the failrate is low enough the amount of sp I get in return is too low to justify it's usage. I tried to continously recharge a stack of low wands + tap combo, but it's not worth the effort. It's easier to just R& in a safe spot, or !Mana during a fight.
Reduced failrate and doubled the amount of mana.

Quote:
+++ Losing Haste. This one is lethal, and huge. Without perm/temp speed, +10+ speed mobs are downright terrifying. Mages are already squishy enough, combine that with mobs that can run up to you and hit you for 3/4 hp. I mostly ran or TO'ed them away
Another class differentiation casualty - I'm trying to avoid giving this back to mages, we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
++ MeteorShower vs ManaBolt. I used to take down mobs using a combination of Haste + MeteorShower. ManaBolt feels like a poor replacement. The damage dice is actually almost similar to FrostBolt, but costs 3sp more. If the monster doesn't resist cold I just used FrostBolt, if it does and it's tough I just avoided. In fact I barely used ManaBolt throughout the whole run
Increased the damage considerably.

Quote:
ThrustAway. Didn't use it, didn't see a need.
This is actually a powerful damage spell as well as the thrusting effect - I made it high level because of that. I've left it as is for now, but maybe it should be earlier.

Quote:
++++ FastCast. I love the concept of this spell, it gels so well with how mages are supposed to play. Unfortunately, it's only available so late in the game. But when I got it, it's so overpowered when used in conjunction with temp speed that I feel it should be nerfed. I used this together with ManaStorm to blow away all the end game content
Noted - it's now in the third book.

Quote:
+ MageBook is same colour as RogueBook is same colour as potions. It's slightly confusing, and could do with differentiation, since the books are mutually exclusive
Chenged the rogue book map colour, and the inventory colour for arcane and divine books.