AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 28, 2010, 20:55   #11
stalza
Rookie

stalza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It's linear. Once you pass a certain threshold (which varies by class), each extra pound of armour costs you a mana point. Only affects mages, rogues, rangers.
It affects my paladin, so I'm guessing that it affects all spellcasters.
stalza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 22:37   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalza View Post
It affects my paladin, so I'm guessing that it affects all spellcasters.
Ooops, my mistake. The gloves thing only affects those three, the armour weight limit does indeed affect all casters (though they don't all have the same limit).
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 01:33   #13
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I have notice that it is pretty significant, I have seen my mana cut in half do to heavier armor types, and not full plate armor either.
ha! my clvl 26 half troll rogue just found a set of adamantite plate mail on the floor on dlvl 23 and it cut his SP from 23 to 1... made a few quid at the armoury though..

dave
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 16:35   #14
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Has removing this penalty altogether been considered at all? To a certain extent, it can contribute to the TMJ problem, and heavy armor is already underpowered. Honestly, if a mage is willing to put up with the weight and to-hit penalties, I say let them and don't punish them further.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010, 20:54   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
Has removing this penalty altogether been considered at all? To a certain extent, it can contribute to the TMJ problem, and heavy armor is already underpowered. Honestly, if a mage is willing to put up with the weight and to-hit penalties, I say let them and don't punish them further.
This is a very good point. I am planning to look at heavy armour at some point during 3.1.3's development, and I think it's worth considering this. My initial feeling is that I'd rather play about with the scale than remove the penalty altogether (i.e. allow mages to wear slightly more armour, but not unlimited), but it's definitely worth reviewing.

Thanks for the idea.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 06:07   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's only a problem early in the game when your mana is low. At that point, wearing very heavy armor is probably a mistake anyway, as it is likely to slow you down.

I don't see much reason to get rid of the penalty; it makes better sense to adjust some armors to be lighter if necessary.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 11:18   #17
NeoWizard
Adept

NeoWizard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
Does it affect fail rates for spells?
I think I notice in some of my games, the ones in which I bothered to look, the fail rate increased by one or 2%. But I think its only when you are low level, meaning INT is below 10/40 or 10/30! Might have been changed in later versions.

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre. Olny 55% of plepoe can. mtat
NeoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 15:56   #18
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It's only a problem early in the game when your mana is low. At that point, wearing very heavy armor is probably a mistake anyway, as it is likely to slow you down.

I don't see much reason to get rid of the penalty; it makes better sense to adjust some armors to be lighter if necessary.
I tend to agree with this - the mana penalty is small and linear, and it has never impacted my gear decision one way or another. Any armor with a deal-breaking mana penalty is already unusable due to carry weight and speed penalties.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010, 17:10   #19
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
It might be nice if you received a warning before wearing armour that will severely encumber you (loss of more than 1/2 of your mana). I was just clearing a small vault on DL51 when I put on a heavy suit of armour that took my mana from 24/24 to 0/0. Although I took it off immediately, a short time later I was unable to phase away when the mystic summoned gravity hounds.
Old March 2, 2010, 17:11   #20
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
It might be nice if you received a warning before wearing armour that will severely encumber you (loss of more than 1/2 of your mana). I was just clearing a small vault on DL51 when I put on a heavy suit of armour that took my mana from 24/24 to 0/0. Although I took it off immediately, a short time later I was unable to phase away when the mystic summoned gravity hounds.
Maybe it would make sense to color max mana yellow when encumbered, similar to how drained stats are displayed?
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote