Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 7, 2018, 01:38   #21
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
well, time to go to bed.
I grind one more time DL45 and i find a small vault (the two oval rooms, barely 6-7 spaces long, attached at both ends) with Ren The Unclean in it. As all the other Nazgul, some bolts from my new heavy crossbow of accuracy make short work of him.
There are also some Hellhounds and not one, but two Death Knights, both of which i TO.

In this small vault, i find TWO Boots Of Speed (+7 and +6),

The Set Of Gauntlets Of Eanar
+2 CON, +2 Tunnel

which i sell, and a ton of cash drops (mostly weapons of Gondolin and Westernesse).

I convert 150k in an Augmentation from BM, and that's it. I'm up 90k, but too late, Kelek's is gone.

a micro dump, my character is now

CL33 - 344 HP - 193 SP

STR 18/186 - INT 18/204 - WIS 18/60 - DEX 17 - CON 18/106

AC 123 - Base Speed +17

rBASE, rPois, rDark, rSound, rNexus, rNether, rChaos, pBlind, pConf, Regen, FA, FF. With a total +6 Tunnelling, i SUS CON/DEX/INT.

Melee 244 vs demons, 180 vs undead/giants/orcs, 116 vs rest. 100+ DPS shooting.
Old March 7, 2018, 20:34   #22
Sky
Veteran

just some quick grinding before work.

DL46

6-6, a vault and a special room, the vault is the snail shell which i don't like as it takes forever to go around, and there's nothing aside from two Priest5. The room has Beorn, The Shapechanger which drops nothing, a crown of the magi, and in another room a Priest7.

DL47

more grinding, i meekly reach CL34 359hp 199sp by racking up small kills. Otherwise useless 4-3 level.

DL48

Just Smaug The Golden on an otherwise unremarkable 5-3 cave level. I kill smaug mostly through melee, but he's a harmless. 2 cash drops.

DL49

nothing

DL50

small vault, the one with 8 rooms. Two treasures and no notable mobs.

The Pendant of Hatil

+3 Stealth
rFire rDark rNether pBlind FF FA Digestion

not terrible, but not something i'll even bother saving a home slot for.

The Flail Of Mandil (4d6) (+8,+21)

+3 Spd, Slay dragon trolls evil
Weak poison brand, rCold, pFear, FA.

i'll store it for now but will probably sell it. Actually, scratch that, i'll just sell it.

DL50 again

nothing

DL51

nothing

DL52

i decide to finally kill my first vampire lord of the game, and the payoff is that he drops a potion of Aug.

(Deep Descent)

DL57

not much, i do find medusa who summons a rather large number of hydras compared to what she normally does, and i even have to quaff a Restore Mana potion and a few CCW, but eventually she dies, dropping Resistances OF Scarabatrice.

Of which i only bother to learn Resistance and Shield.

level feeling 4-4, and my friends are calling me to play Quake - i recall.
Old March 7, 2018, 21:50   #23
Sky
Veteran

DL58

nada

DL59

zip

DL60

zilch

DL60 again (quick recall to play some more quake)

level feeling 5-7, which is (after a !Enlight) a small demi-vault with a Ring Of Power

The Band Of Sirerindi

+2 WIS +4 DEX +2 Shots

*Acid pConf

ok, not amazing, unless you know, you're playing a ranger, in which case your primary DPS would go up by 66%, but hey.
I'll keep it.

I also accidentally trample The Queen Ant (20+ levels overdue) and she drops

The Morning Star Of Lorwen (2d6) (+7,+8) [+8]

+2 STR +2 COn +4 Spd
Weak Cold brand, *slay demon, Slay dragon, giants, evil.
rFire rCold rChaos pStun.

at home, i swap out my Gauntlets +5 INT for some Gloves Of Thievery i had from earlier, and go upo from 200 to 240 SP.

Also somewhere down the line i reached CL35, 401hp, 243sp.
Old March 7, 2018, 22:16   #24
Sky
Veteran

DL60 again, somewhat more interesting.

The very first room i recall in, there's the Learnean Hydra, and i decide to kill her. And, somehow, i forget that this is a unique, not a normal mob. She tanks a ton of damage and i even try to melee her, even while she is summoning 7- and 9- headed hydras.
I should really not play when i'm tired.

Anyway, one potion of mana later, i start pulling out my Ice Storm spell and just AOE everything, eventually she dies. No drops (i dont think she ever drops, just like the other hydras).
Killing her however put me up yet another level. Not *just* her, it's just that i wasn't paying attention.

CL36 413hp 250sp.

Right next door, and the only connected room, is a skull vault. In the skull, there's a group of Barbazus; now, for some reason, i keep thinking "do not melee Vrocks", but i keep confusing them. It's actually the Barbazus that melee like .. well, demons.
I quickly find myself down to 60hp, but a simple phase and then i nuke them from afar.
And i find a potion of WIS and a ring of speed +7.

(Deep Descent)

DL65 6-3

i dropped my Mage1 because i wanted to carry loot, so i simply recall. And i discover i have picked up not one, but two scrolls of *Acquirement*.

DL65

off my two scrolls of *Acq, i get 3 cash drops and a Kelek's.

Now, i just need Mordekainen's.

And, in a special room not far, i TO a berserker, ranger chieftain, and bile demon, and find

The Band 'Halas'

+4 INT +2 Infra +2 Blows

*Acid, rLightning, pFear, sWIS, sDiges, ESP, FA, SI. A: Haste

It's what a warrior wants. And a mage too, why not.

Level feeling 5-8, understandably, and i find Kavlaax, The Many-Headed, sleeping in a corridor. I enter his dreams and violently rend his soul out of his body. He drops nothing.

I test Mass Banishment on the Bile Demon & Co, and it works .. at the 4th try.

I go back home to reorganize, and find i have been carrying for some reason 3 rods of TO.
Old March 7, 2018, 22:32   #25
Sky
Veteran

DL65 6-5

I start in a large room with Saruman Of Many Colours, who starts advancing. As i expect him to teleport away, i nuke him, but he instead summons a Osyluth, who starts nuking me back.

I run low on mana, and decide to TS.

On the other side of the map, i run into another, sleeping Osyluth, and i decide to Banish all (U) Demons from the level.

Also, in the same room, is Mim, Betrayer of Turin. He resists fire, acid, cold, lightning, poison .. BUT YOU DON'T RESIST SOUL REND, UH?

He drops me a potion of CON, and an artifact bow:

The Long Bow of Gilin (x3) (+17,+5)

+5 CON

rFire, rCold, pFear, FA, SI.

not likely to keep this but, you never know. That CON bonus is substantial. It's just that the damage is pathetic.

Low on mana, as i rest Saruman shows up, and i send him away.
I spot a hydra pit, and a Titan.

stairs.

DL66, level feeling 5-7.

I burn another !Enlight.

I fail a ridiculous number of times MBan, but when i succeed, i can count a Sling of Thinking It's Buckland But It's Only Extra Might, and

The Metal Lammelar Armour Of Ingloki (-3) [58,+8]

+4 INT +4 DEX
rBASE rLight rDark rNether pConf A: acid bolt

eh, it's not bad, but for now i'm sticking with my +2 CON Dwarven.

I decide i am too tired to make good decisions, and i call it a day.
Old March 8, 2018, 02:53   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Mim is alignment evil, so he has 50% resist on rend soul (though it's work fine on his sons.) Meteor storm is a better choice.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 22:44   #27
Sky
Veteran

DL66 again

i've since been playing a Rogue who's been doing very well, and i didn't want to get back to Mage without warmup ..

I recall next to a Priest7. I haven't does any notable resting on this game, but have otherwise been rather lucky with Augmentation.

Near by is Gorlim, Betrayer of Barahir. There are no other mobs nearby, so this is a perfect occasion to kill him. I start with Haste and Slow, and he loses a star to each single Rend Soul. It's over very quickly and i don't even need any CCW.
He drops :

The Trident Of Tureg (1d) (+22,+9)

+5 INT, +4 Spd.
*Slay undead/demons, slay troll. weak lightning brand.
rFire, FF, SI.

cash drop.

Later on i find The Balrog Of Moria, in an otherwise meek 7-5 level.
I don't have Mordekainen's, so no Rune. Which would be nice to block him. In the end, i handle him poorly an di use several CCW. Another Ethereal Dragon nearby costs another 4, so i'm down to 12 CCW. I might have to rest-scum some more from town . For my trouble, i get another Raal's, 2 DD, and a ring of speed +10 (cursed). The curses turn out to be steelskin, cowardice, and siren, all 56. No chance.

Deep Descent ...
Old March 11, 2018, 02:19   #28
Sky
Veteran

DL71

a special room with a potion of Experience and two Augmentation; at this point, i'm just banishing anything i can't be bothered to melee.

Deep Descent ...

DL76

i accidentally roll over Mugash, The Kobold Lord while killing a conga line of kobolds. No drops.

I find a Tenser's and .. i decide to sell it. A slot is not worth Greater Recharging and Elemental Brand. I really resent the Mage not having two spells lifted right out of the Mage spellbook in D&D, Heroism and Berserker.

DL76 again

greater vault, with Khamul, The Black Eastering, which i teleport away, and Saruman Of Many Colours, which i also teleport away. I MBan the rest of the vault, feeling 7-9.

The easy haul is

The Leather Boots 'Goriennon' [2,+20]

+1 Spd, FA

The Maul 'Hanfauren' (6d4) (+8,+19)

*Slay undea, Slay evil. weak poison. rPois, FA. A: Staff of Slow.

The Scimitar 'Nilyar' (4d2) (+6,+16)

+4 INT +3 Spd

*Slay undead/demons, slay trolls/animals. Weak fire.
rLight, SI.

and a Wrath Of God. I keep the boots (base speed +21) and sell the rest.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:37   #29
Sky
Veteran

DL76 again

i'm basically too bored to look for stairs, i just wait for DD to show up.

The Necklace Of Hundel

+4 WIS +5 DEX +2 CON
rLight rShards SI

and an Amulet of Trickery both just lying there.

A Storm Of Unmagic reminds me i have no rDisenchant. Not much damage, but i lose a point of AC.

I noticed since the last big update, i'm finding MUCH less armours and waaaay more weapons. It used to be a fair 50/50 previously, with many standard armours showing up in my FOUND ARTIFACT list, but these days it's 2-3 armours per game.

I MBan a couple useless mobs and find a Mordekainen's lying on the floor, of which i learn two spells, Rune Of Protection and Recall. Don't even need Door Creation, Teleport Level or Stairs Creation.

DL77

i find Lorgan, Chief Of The Easterlings, sleeping. I Haste, Slow, and nuke him with Rend Soul. There's also Ugluk, The Uruk in a corridor, and i casually steamroll him. The Mouth Of Sauron, instead, can keep sleeping.

DL78

stairs before i can see the level feeling.

I'm looking for DL90 at this point, because i feel i need something quite major to complete the build.

I find, casually,

The Short Sword 'Nethil' (1d7) (+9,+5)

+4 INT +4 WIS

*Slay dragoin, slay animal
rLight, rChaos, pConf, SI, A: Dispel Undead

and i also picked up The Necklace Of Hundel, somewhere

+4 WIS +5 DEX +2 CON

rLightingn, rShards, SI.

doesn't matter, i'm still using Trickery for rNexus and rPoison.

I slot in the +2 blows ring instead of the +5 STR.
Old March 13, 2018, 23:37   #30
Sky
Veteran

picking this up again after killing like a moron my CL50 warrior and my CL49 rogue.

let's hope i don't kill this one as well.

DL79

I find Castamir, The Usurper, sleeping without anything else around him. He does not resist Soul Rend. No drops.

In the next room is Al-Pharzon, The Golden, who instead taken much more effort to bring down, including arrows and melee. He summons and Enchantress who summons a Great Wyrm of Thunder, which i teleport away.

He drops a pretty good helm:

The Steel Helm 'Miomir' ()+5,+2) [9,+7]

+5 Spd, pConf, sDEX, SI, FA.

Later in the dungeron i find a special room, with Ji Indur Dawndeath in it, which i want to kill, but also a Great Crystal Drake, a Great Wyrm Of Many Colours, A Great Ice Wyrm, a Greater Titan, a Black Reaver, and to top it off a Druji and a Master Mystics.
I'm gonna have to teleport a whole lot of stuff. I might even have to miss Ji Indur.

I dig in, and Ji wakes immediately. I teleport away the Ice Wyrm, a death mold, and let Ji pass by. I turn a corner, lay a Rune, and bash him. Nazguls don't really have many hp, and he dies quickly.

Nothing else wakes up. I TO everything and grab:

The Zweihander of Hirin (3d6) (+8,+11)

*Slay undead/dragon, slay demon/giant/orc.

which i will sell, and :

The Rapier of Aranfal (1d6) (+20,+11) [+15]

+5 STR, +3 INT, *Slay undead/dragon/demon, slayy troll/orc/animal/evil.
Weak cold brand, rCold, rLight, rDark, rDisen, pFear, SI. A: restore STR.

which woul dhave been nice at the start, but by not it's useless, with a 230 DPS vs *slay.

DL79 again

i see from the start Ariel, Maiar Of The Sun and i know i will leave the level.

I melee a Great Ice Wyrm, with haste, slow, shield, and resist. No derops, nor any drops from a *Acquirement. Level feeling 7-8. A normal scroll of Acquirement instead gives me:

The Light Crossbow 'Glirienos' (x4) (+11,+22) [+8]

+6 INT, +6 DEX, SI, FA.

now way this can compete with my +5 CON bow.

There's a greater vault here, with Saruman, Pazuzu, Huan, Harowen, Lagdulf (!), but aside from Lagdulf i TO everyone. No artifacts in the vault, just a Mage9, two Priest8, and a Mage7.

Somewhere along the road i hit CL38 and i found 3 !DEX and 1 !Aug, and i am now 685 HP, 298 SP, STR 150, INT 210, WIS 117, DEX 180, and CON 210. I also upgraded my Dwarven chain to a Bar Chain and now have AC 164. I learn Chaos Strike, which is at 36% fail, but Rend Soul is at 0%, for 11d38 damage.