AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 9, 2017, 20:25   #11
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
As a warrior? Just melee him. Anything that isn't an artifact will be severely disenchanted, but it can be easily replaced or repaired with enchant scrolls. AC loss isn't a big deal anyway, and you have an artifact weapon. (If you had an ego weapon instead, I'd recommend avoiding the fight.)

Artifacts resist (but aren't immune to) disenchantment. You won't lose more than a few points from any of them. Also, Mim is generally encountered and killed in the midgame, so anything you're wearing then will probably be replaced before you go up against any of the really big bosses. All things considered, it's not worth worrying about the disenchantment. If you happen to have an item that grants disenchant resist around, it's worth swapping to it; otherwise, treat Mim like any other midgame unique.
It is not worth losing *any* points on a weapon to take Mim. Take him at a distance or take him with rDis or leave him alone. You'll get him later.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017, 21:11   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
It is not worth losing *any* points on a weapon to take Mim. Take him at a distance or take him with rDis or leave him alone. You'll get him later.
Ehh, if I have a good opportunity to fight him -- clear terrain, no other monsters nearby -- then it can be worth maybe losing 5% of my damage output if it means that he won't get generated again somewhere more inconvenient.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 09:53   #13
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
And dont forget his drop.
Old August 10, 2017, 11:39   #14
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
As a warrior? Just melee him. Anything that isn't an artifact will be severely disenchanted, but it can be easily replaced or repaired with enchant scrolls. AC loss isn't a big deal anyway, and you have an artifact weapon. (If you had an ego weapon instead, I'd recommend avoiding the fight.)

Artifacts resist (but aren't immune to) disenchantment. You won't lose more than a few points from any of them. Also, Mim is generally encountered and killed in the midgame, so anything you're wearing then will probably be replaced before you go up against any of the really big bosses. All things considered, it's not worth worrying about the disenchantment. If you happen to have an item that grants disenchant resist around, it's worth swapping to it; otherwise, treat Mim like any other midgame unique.
The trouble is when he chips enough of that weapon to reduce the damage giving him more time to chip. Last time I melee-d him he conveniently spawned next to a weapon with reasonable damage that I didn't want, then dropped a better weapon on death. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, he has to drop something better than your current weapon for him to be worth it.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 11:40   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Whoops. Phone double posted somehow.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 14:12   #16
Fizanko
Rookie

Fizanko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
And dont forget his drop.
On that point,

Quote:
He will carry up to 4 exceptional objects.
I don't know if i was having really bad luck on Mim drops, but as shown in the screenshot in spoilers when i finally killed that unique, those "up to 4 exceptional objects" that appeared were in fact only 1 pair of steel shod boots "normal" (i mean no speed/free action/whatever brand) and with +/+ bonuses even worse than the truckloads of similar boots i already looted from my various dives.

At least i got my vengeance for past characters artifacts being ruined
Fizanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 14:44   #17
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
Thats just luck. You still got to try. In theory Smeagol could (and should) drop The One Ring.

Afaik, uniques will drop better stuff the deeper down you are, so avoiding him until you are a few CL above his threat level should both eliminate the disenchat issue and also give you a bigger payout.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:45   #18
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ehh, if I have a good opportunity to fight him -- clear terrain, no other monsters nearby -- then it can be worth maybe losing 5% of my damage output if it means that he won't get generated again somewhere more inconvenient.
Depends on what equipment @ has. If it's not one of the end-game or mid-game artifacts, I'll risk the disenchantment. But if, for example, I've got a mage that is wielding the Trident of Wrath, I'm not risking disenchantment. I'd rather wait and take on Mim or his kin at a more opportune moment.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mim