AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 8, 2011, 19:15   #41
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I remember back when I thought that the main purpose of Slay Giant gear was for killing Morgoth. After all, he's a 'P', right? Right?
Word.

On a related note, is there any compelling reason to separate Slay Giant and Troll? Or at the very least, we could make the ego slay both. That would make the ego slightly more used, right?
Old April 8, 2011, 20:03   #42
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Word.

On a related note, is there any compelling reason to separate Slay Giant and Troll? Or at the very least, we could make the ego slay both. That would make the ego slightly more used, right?
No one would use that ego in preference to a flame brand, or even to a lighter weapon that gave an additional blow. If on a weapon light enough for max blows, the slay is mostly pointless anyway.

The point of junk egos is that you don't get the useful egos too often. So if you do merge two junk egos, you need to either reduce ego likelihood overall or add another junk ego.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2011, 20:35   #43
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The point of junk egos is that you don't get the useful egos too often. So if you do merge two junk egos, you need to either reduce ego likelihood overall or add another junk ego.
Wrong. You don't need to add junk to achieve balance, and if they're "junk" then they're not appearing at the right time on the right items. Broken sticks *were* always junk, but Slay Troll occasionally isn't. Slay Giant is about the least useful, because there are so few giants, but even that has nonzero utility (as well as flavour).

EDIT: all IMO of course. I am beginning to realise that my view of junk is a bit extreme.

Last edited by Magnate; April 8, 2011 at 21:28.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2011, 22:51   #44
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
About an hour ago on a new standart rogue, I used a ?Aquirement after popping 12 ?DeepDescent and going to dlvl 45 at clvl 15. It gave me the Glaive of Pain; now I can actually kill some of the things near me. One level later I found a =Acid, so now I'm doing about 600 dmg/round at clvl 18. Crazy.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2011, 23:13   #45
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
EDIT: all IMO of course. I am beginning to realise that my view of junk is a bit extreme.
Perhaps we use the same word with a different meaning? Just because you use something 1 game in 10 in some unimportant way does not make the item useful.

I occasionally use iron spikes [thrown for 1d1 damage], perhaps 1 game in 10, to save on my iron shots. I doubt it has ever materially affected any game. If I had a means of setting initial squelch automatically [no per-game keypresses] I'd put iron spikes on the list. That means iron spikes are junk AFAIAC.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2011, 01:57   #46
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
About an hour ago on a new standart rogue, I used a ?Aquirement after popping 12 ?DeepDescent and going to dlvl 45 at clvl 15. It gave me the Glaive of Pain; now I can actually kill some of the things near me. One level later I found a =Acid, so now I'm doing about 600 dmg/round at clvl 18. Crazy.
That...is....sick. Youre going to be level 40 in no time.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2011, 02:52   #47
Estie
Veteran

As for the op, the problem with ? of acquirement is simply that they are overpriced. I never buy them - by the time I can afford the lottery ticket I am killing great wyrms by the dozen and another ego+ drop isnt worth the bother.
If given the choice between, say, a !augmentation and a ?acq, who in their right mind would opt for the latter ?

I think a good price would be 30k in the bm; at that price I might want to buy it if I had the cash. And of course I´d never sell it.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:50   #48
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Wrong. You don't need to add junk to achieve balance, and if they're "junk" then they're not appearing at the right time on the right items. Broken sticks *were* always junk, but Slay Troll occasionally isn't. Slay Giant is about the least useful, because there are so few giants, but even that has nonzero utility (as well as flavour).
There are giant pits even deep in dungeon. They have titans inside and they drop good stuff. Slay giant is useful for emptying those and getting the loot which is important.

Obviously acid/fire/cold/electricity brand is better than that (in that order against giant-pits).

Ogres are also counted as giants, so Lokkak is giant. Then there are deep giant uniques that hit hard, and those resist everything (or nearly everything)

I'd say slay troll is less important than slay giant, because any weapon with enough blows and to_dam can kill normal trolls in single turn, but same is not true against biggest giants. Same applies to slay orc, any weapon with enough blows is weapon of slay orc.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2011, 13:31   #49
Estie
Veteran

Problem with giant pits is the storm giants. Even if you kill them fast, meleeing a pit with many of those means your staves and wands and low rods will be gone. Dropping all in a corner before opening the pit works, but is still very risky and leaves you with fewer options if something happens while you kill the pit.

I have turned to ignoring giant pits because of the nasty light blue Ps.
Old April 9, 2011, 16:34   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Odd, I haven't noticed much inventory damage from fighting storm giants. They don't seem to hit me all that often with electrical attacks.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote