Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 12, 2017, 23:06   #41
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
I probably overlook something but if you switch to Elros you just lose rdis and nothing else, don't you? But you would gain rshards, pconf and +4 CON which would max your HP if i see correctly.
You also write "I have a limited supply of ?phase and ?phase is also a crucial part to mitigating limited TO" - do you use Belegennon's activation (phase every 7 turns)? I often forget such things.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017, 00:07   #42
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I actually considered forgoing rPois since getting hit by a big poison breath while attacking Morgoth doesn't happen that often. I think that may have been better than fighting him with ~850HP.

Well, it's been an exciting fight so far. Even though I have {Bard and {Holy Mights shooting him at range was very slow to do damage, but he never blasted me while I was hitting him. He'd heal up when I'd teleport away and return to get the arrows. I did this a couple times, and I managed to whittle only ** from his life bar due to him regenerating. So finally I decided to switch to melee and so I ditched my staves and wands and relied on my consumables, 2 rods of speed and 4 rods of TO. At times I couldn't TO so I'd have to ?phase and run. But I caught a break (or series of breaks) during melee when Morgoth would Earthquake, and I'd be isolated a moment to use !CCW instead of precious !*Healings (!Healings used up pretty quick). I also would ?phase away from the summons into little isolated cubby holes, !CCW while he'd approach again. I actually got him down to * red health bar. Looked like he was gonna fall, when more summons including a Black Reaver who was right up against me. So I ?phased, but phased into a bunch of greater dragons. so I ?phased again. I'm worried he is going to regen too much for me to finish him without dying. We'll see!

I probably also should have risked being double shotted and used the ring of damage. I'm gonna switch to ring of damage for the final blows to him. Now it's up to good fortunes to deliver me.

There are arrows of holy might nearby. I could try to grab them and finish him at range. There are also 7 !CCW in two separate stacks in the greater vault.

Jeez, maybe I should try to setup a favorable hockey stick to blast him with the last of the {holy mights. There are 8 arrows left, doing about 340 dam each.

Last edited by Grotug; February 13, 2017 at 00:15.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017, 00:23   #43
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I probably overlook something but if you switch to Elros you just lose rdis and nothing else, don't you? But you would gain rshards, pconf and +4 CON which would max your HP if i see correctly.
You also write "I have a limited supply of ?phase and ?phase is also a crucial part to mitigating limited TO" - do you use Belegennon's activation (phase every 7 turns)? I often forget such things.
I considered wearing Belegennon for the extra phases and in retrospect I wish I had gone this route--well, *almost* wish I had: The Preservation shield is also granting me rPois. I could have ditched (Preservation, and worn Elros and Belegennon. The reason I didn't do this is because I drop from 5.8 to 5.2 rounds since the DEX and STR from [Rohirrim provided <+2> of each. What I *should* have done is realized that the Dwarven Multihued DSM would have allowed me to have max HP, rPois, rDis (with "Weaponmastery) and I'm pretty sure max blows with the BoC if I swapped out {Bard for the Lorien bow I had at home just in case I would need it to get max blows from the extra <+4> DEX it provided. And yet, somehow I didn't put this all together and left the Dwarven dragon armor in the dungeon. Curses!
Old February 13, 2017, 01:12   #44
Grotug
Knight

I win! By the skin of my I know not what. Another thing I realize, I should have swapped out =Narya for =Damage! (+15). That is another big blunder. I had +30 speed with =Damage vs +35 with Narya. /sigh, though Narya was also granting me precious HP.

Well, I won, which is the main thing. Very exciting to win such a close battle! I thought the dong sound when M finally gave up the ghost was him summoning more Greater Dragons or Black Reavers (he sure is fond of them).

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20315 42,701 turns.

I decided not to wait for him to return to me (which probably would have been better than teleporting away) and that I'd use my last ?Teleport and hope to land near the HM arrows and maybe grab the !CCW as well. But ?Teleport brought me all the way across the level near the lesser vault. I was faced with a Horned reaper and figured, oh what the hell, maybe he'll give me some !healings. Well, he took what little health I had left (brought me down to a little over 200) and dropped me only useless gear. So I ventured into the lesser vault and killed some things in hope for something useful and got two more !speeds, but no healing. Killed some medium Undead who did no damage to me at all but dropped also nothing. To'd M one more time after getting in a couple pot {shots from a favorable knight's move and then I guess I decided my situation wasn't going to get any better and after another arrow (seeker, +12) I swapped out Narya for =Damage and hoped to finish him. He summoned a couple times in the last few frames of battle, which I guess was a blessing as other things he could have done would have quickly ended me. So I ?MBanished and continued to smite him. He sneered and he scowled and then he died.

BTW, I didn't use any *destructions. All the destructed areas are from him whacking away at me. Now on to the latest Nightlies!

Last edited by Grotug; February 13, 2017 at 01:23.
Old February 13, 2017, 04:22   #45
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nicely done! I'd still go without rPois, but more HP. Doing without ESP is more dangerous. One time where mushrooms of ESP or !rPois would actually pay off.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017, 10:11   #46
Grotug
Knight

Oh, right, I knew there was a reason other than iFire that I was keeping Narya on. I think there may actually have been some SS muchrooms lying around, so yeah, that might have been a good strategy. I agree with you, though, I think Elros over Preservation was the way to go.
Old February 14, 2017, 10:29   #47
Grotug
Knight

So playing the new nightlies as a High Elf Warrior again. On DL14 and an 8-8 feeling. Kinda thinking I should probably not play the level seeing as I am not very powerful yet, but I say what the hay, I have one ?Teleportation and 2?Create Traps, and still holding onto my !rHeat and !rCold. Create Traps seems much more useful with the new "Everyone is great at searching" feature, since it only takes one turn to find out if you got a trap door, instead of fumbling around searching for your potential escape, only to find out it's a bunch of summoning and reduce stat traps.

Well, found an ant pit and easily cleared it. Inside an xbow of power and some boots of "Quick! Find some scrolls of DD quick!" And I mean *quick* <+10>. Time to ?Recall out of here before I find out what's causing the other half of the level's feeling! I'm playing without forced descent so that if I am able to crash dive to DL98 I can hang out there a few levels before being forced to fight Sauron.

Hah, so this is fun: forgot to buy ?WoR and so went down to DL5 to get some gold and then slowly started climbing toward the surface. On DL2 I decided to read a new scroll: ?DD. I guess I won't be buying any WoR anytime soon.

Last edited by Grotug; February 14, 2017 at 10:58.
Old February 14, 2017, 16:16   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
To be clear, you found Boots of Speed +10? At DL14?

This game needs to be nerfed hard.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 21:11   #49
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
To be clear, you found Boots of Speed +10? At DL14?

This game needs to be nerfed hard.
Yes, Boots of speed <+10>. The first time I played 4.0.5 I found Narthanc on DL1 and was like, "Jeez, they've really ratcheted up the artifacts big time since I last played" I was actually a little disappointed; I felt the game had been tainted from how I remembered it when I played I guess 3.5, where such a find was rare. But in the scores of 4.0.5 games I've played since I very rarely find *thancs early on. It was just luck I found it on my first game of 4.0.5. That whole first impression thing at work, tho.

So I sorta had the same thought when I found those boots of speed; I was like, seriously? What's Nick been doing to the artifact generation code! But prolly just dumb good luck.

Holy Horse Hats, a black knight just dropped a white DSM of Speed <+5>. Quick! read those two ?DD in the hallway just above this room! Naturally Lorgan didn't drop anything worthwhile. I actually just did read a ?DD, so I will hold onto these for the time being. Also recently picked up a Lorien bow <+4> <+1> pStun and FrAct dropped by a Ghoul on DL32.

Also somewhat interesting, every level has been like 7-4, 5-3, 6-4 etc. All more dangerous than the treasure feeling, and none below danger 5 since the late DL20s. Usually level feelings are similar or better treasure than danger.

EDIT: on a 9-9 Greater Vault level (DL46). I have no TO but an unID'd wand that's charges are drained from some gauths in an e pit that I cleared. But I have 7 mushrooms of SS and just picked up a _Detect Evil. Wondering if I can take Wren the Unclean; I can self haste to +25 Speed.

So I can actually get into a lot of these cubbies:

I'm doing 150dam/round against those not rPois. Heh, or I was until I picked up the arti armor Rohirrim that scruffy hobbit was guarding. That took me up to 173/round; fighting Unclean was fun; did more damage to me that I was expecting. He dropped beaked axe of Húrin, and his cubby had arti armor Arvedui.

Hmm.. Tsekalus woke up and came out of his cubby. I forgot he passes through walls. Might not be able to explore this vault anymore. I don't really have any way of dealing with him. I suppose I could have drilled a diagonal tunnel and safely knight's moved him from one end with my arrows.... But I didn't.

I got most of the safe cubbies anyway, so I quit the level.
I'm wearing Rohirrim armor instead of speed armor. I need the STR.
Returned home and saw that I was only 1000gp short of buying the "Weaponmastery from the store (If you are rich playing the Nightlies it's GG). So I ?Recalled, immediately picked up a dwarven shield (+2, +3) (more STR! <+2> <+1> CON) and right after quaffed an unID'd potion of STR! So before the vault level I was doing 150 to non-rPois. Now I'm doing 244 to non-rAcid. #feelsgoodman. Picked up a bright green $ of Adamantite and returned home. What a productive 100 turns!

. I hope the blackmarket keeps up these insane items. I already missed out on a 9 stack of ?Banishment and a similar sized stack of !Augmentation. What a tease! At least I got this "Weaponmastery!

Last edited by Grotug; February 15, 2017 at 12:11.
Old February 16, 2017, 01:33   #50
Grotug
Knight

Well, that was fun. Balrog of Moria breathed on me bringing me to 18 health. I'm moving at <+17> base speed thanks to a RoS <+7>. So I was trying to phase away from him in order to explore the room he came from (!Illuminated 5-6 level feeling). Well, when he breathed on me he also created some lava. I tried to inspect the lava but I cannot get any Details on it. Can I walk over it? Can the Balrog walk over it? Does it block LOS? I am going to continue under the assumption that it doesn't block LoS and that if I walk on it I will lose health precipitously. Let's see if I can continue exploring without getting dead.

Well, I phased around and got back to the room the Balrog of Moria came from and there was nothing in the room (though I never did ID the scimitar because I've never found a good scimitar before). There were no other good objects in the level save some shots of slay Undead (+10, +10) and a small chest that blew up. Wonder if the scimitar was a good artifact. I like my Húrin well enough.

Did Experience draining get worse? Lesser Undead are setting me back a lot. Pretty annoying. Why are ?break curse unlimited but not !restore life levels? I guess I'll stop complaining as I just picked up my good friend "Thráin on DL55 (7-7 feeling level). Let's gain some levels!

I picked up a clone monster wand. Figure I'll nearly kill the Ancient Green Dragon and then clone it for extra gold and XP. The wand heals the nearly dead dragon to full health and then hastens it. Is it a wand of cloning or a wand of haste, heal and clone? Jeez... some wand!

Wow, even a *Healing* potion doesn't cure Hallucinations. _Teleported and then dug a hole into the magma vein in the wall of the hallway I landed in. Guess I'll hope nothing comes to eat me while I wait for reality to return. Though I have noticed if I can see a monster it will change shape but I will be able to track its location even if I don't know what it is. It's an 8-6 level and I just picked up an (Elvenkind of rPois so it's time to return home and swap gear around anyway.

Great, as soon as I read the ?Recall my eyes clear. ?Recall to cancel, two left. I want that !STR. Chaos drake is going down.

Ahh, WTH, a Chaos hound and a Time hound. Of course when I hold onto the ?Banishments I never use them and they rob me of inventory slot. Then when I read it when it's not all that crucial, I don't have it when I *really* need it. (not to mention the Phase spider and the Blink Dog with them.

Let's try Phasing around these feasances. ?phased back to the corridor leading to the moat room. When I stepped into the hallway again to ... why did I step into the hallway again? I should have ?phased at the entrance to the hallway, out of their LOS. Anyway, the Chaos hound breathed on me immediately upon me returning to where I was when I first ?phased to get away from them. Then the Phase Spider summoned me to him at the entrance to the moat room. So I Teleported away to land near another room full of baddies. Ar-Pharazon was still asleep very nearby when my eyes cleared. The stairs are right to my right. I think that's enough excitement for one level. I'm gonna give up on the !STR and unID'd amulet and return home.

I have 49k Gold and there are still 9 potions of life in the BM. Do I spend 45K on 3 of them? Seems ... sure, why not. There are also Experience potions but they are $75k and who knows how much longer they will be there.

Last edited by Grotug; February 16, 2017 at 02:40.