Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 8, 2017, 08:21   #11
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
yeah, so, we were talking earlier about Xp penalty ...

i cleared 3 DL and went from CL40 to CL41 ... including two pots of XP and two uniques (witch-king and hoarmurath). still have spell failure on mana strike .. incidentally .. i found kelek's, FINALLY, considering i found 4-5 wrath of god.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017, 16:01   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Mana storm is overrated. It becomes useful ridiculously late, and is suitable only for the bosses, and only if you reach cl 48 or so. Find a way to use chaos strike and rend soul.
Use Ice Storm or Shock Wave to stun foes. Use meteor storm and rift against undead--they don't have a lot of HP. And keep every wand of Drain Life and Annihilation that you find. Those are the absolute key to killing big targets.

Stay away from big non-unique demons, unless you have a top notch shooter and suitable branded ammo. There's nothing more miserable than trying to bring down a Pit Fiend with Meteor Storm.

Of course, if you find a Mod of Gondolin, and your CON is high enough from off weapon bonuses, everything changes. (Or you find Thunderfist or Deathwreaker.)In that case, everything changes: hunt down vulnerable deep monsters and use Rune of protection and melée.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017, 17:20   #13
Sky
Knight

rune of protection has this thing where, i melee the mob, the mob moves, and my previous keypress moves me off the glyph ... like, *every* time.
Old April 8, 2017, 18:34   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

OK, I spoke too soon about Mana Storm. IF you have INT 220, it becomes useful at cl 44, where it takes over as the most efficient damage spell (Chaos Strike still is marginally better through CL 45, but is limited to uniques.)

But still, my character is at CL45, and is easily ready to kill Sauron and Morgoth.

As I mentioned in a different thread, try stunning instead of Rune. Further experimentation showed the limit of usefulness is around a horned reaper: it did 500HP in damage in straight melee, with me just scratching it to death. Even a greater titan did essentially no damage.
Old April 8, 2017, 18:50   #15
Sky
Knight

well, first things first: i just found The One Ring, in a mini-vault on DL97.

i tried to kill the tarrasque earlier, i had him in one of those vaults where it's just one line of solid walls that zigzags around. i lined up a whole bunch of glyphs, threw 700 mana and a huge stack of arrows at him, but could not get him down past half hp, and i used up 6 !heal and 1 *heal.

now he's chasing me around. there's still a whole bunch of uniques left, Arien, Osse, Glaurung, Ancalong and Kronos are alive. The Phoenix and a couple low level uniques are also still out, but it's just a matter of finding them.

Then there's the Tarrasque, Huan, Carcharoth, which honestly, i was planning to simply ignore / teleport away... forever.

And finally i got Feagwath, Vecna and Gothmog, all of which i tried fighting several times, but had to bail out because they like to summon a ton of stuff that gets in the way of my spells / arrows.

I say arrows because i carry circa 160~200 around, but my launcher does sub-300 dmg. I do find them useful however for clearing rooms full of smaller mobs, and for some reasons they have been more effective against Ringwraiths than my spells.

I'm thinking of going back to DL80, grinding until CL50, and then wearing The One and whopping ass.
Old April 8, 2017, 19:19   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Tarrasque isn't too hard in recent versions of V, if you zap him from far away. Chaos Strike (or since it's not evil, rend soul if your fail rate is too high.) Double fire and cold resist, and rDis, and a very long hallway is all it takes. You do have to teleport away a few times, either it or you. Same holds for Huan, and for Carcharoth (though not with Rend Soul.)
Old April 8, 2017, 19:28   #17
Sky
Knight

the tarrasque .. and others too .. breathes fire which leaves pools of lava around. not only do these destroy glyphs (and everything else useful you might have lying around, like, say, those good arrows you just shot at the guy), but they hurt you if you stand in them, which means phasing out quite often.
it's really not easy to stick him somewhere and just spam an attack.
(i'm playing a nightly from 2 months ago .. 638-g1-dce88)
Old April 9, 2017, 00:19   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

The lava only forms in very high damage areas, and it gets removed after cold breaths. If you are standing far away, the lava won't get you. And you have to use magic or devices, because it's too far to shoot. Also: bolts, shots, and mithril don't burn. Using a bow (other than Belthronding) as a mage is kind of pointless. You need to do very high damage for it to be worth shooting. Really, the only choices are Sling of Buckland and Haradrim or Heavy XBow of extra shots.