Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 28, 2017, 19:58   #21
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicPenguin View Post
Ahh - good to know!

Unrelated - Do the level feelings take into account monster drops? I'm guessing the monster drops are determined when the level is created since the drops seem to the same if the game crashes.

Edit - so I read in some other posts that to_hit isn't worth much? Wondering because I found a ring of accuracy that has +15, which I probably would have worn otherwise.
Treasure feeling does not include monster drops, although, you are correct that the items carried are determined at level creation (that was not always the case).

Accuracy Ring can be helpful, until you replace it with something better. Rangers especially like accuracy because damage rings don't modify missile damage, but accuracy does help those missiles get their target.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017, 22:19   #22
AngelicPenguin
Scout

AngelicPenguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Treasure feeling does not include monster drops, although, you are correct that the items carried are determined at level creation (that was not always the case).

Accuracy Ring can be helpful, until you replace it with something better. Rangers especially like accuracy because damage rings don't modify missile damage, but accuracy does help those missiles get their target.

Thanks again.

Unrelated - I never have squelched things. Does everybody just squelch anything uninteresting? What happens when you squelch say a magical item (eg Whip +1, +2) does it squelch only +1, +2 Whips?

At some point, do monsters appear to drop far less items because everything is squelched?
AngelicPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017, 22:27   #23
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unrelated - I never have squelched things. Does everybody just squelch anything uninteresting? What happens when you squelch say a magical item (eg Whip +1, +2) does it squelch only +1, +2 Whips?
For equipment, you have broad categories, so you can say "squelch all magical blunt weapons" for example. But you can't say "squelch all items that aren't better than this Whip", because "better" is a hard-to-evaluate adjective.

You can also squelch an individual item without affecting other similar items.

Quote:
At some point, do monsters appear to drop far less items because everything is squelched?
Yes. But assuming you squelched stuff because you legitimately don't care about it, that's fine.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017, 22:52   #24
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For equipment, you have broad categories, so you can say "squelch all magical blunt weapons" for example. But you can't say "squelch all items that aren't better than this Whip", because "better" is a hard-to-evaluate adjective.

You can also squelch an individual item without affecting other similar items.

Yes. But assuming you squelched stuff because you legitimately don't care about it, that's fine.
I see - so you just squelch, say, that Whip +1, +2, then just squelch then next Whip +1, +3 and so on, just to get them off the floor?
Old June 29, 2017, 22:55   #25
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I see - so you just squelch, say, that Whip +1, +2, then just squelch then next Whip +1, +3 and so on, just to get them off the floor?
Usually I don't squelch individual items, but it is an option. All it really does is hide the item, and you can just manually ignore it. I like to throw items into the corner of a room instead.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017, 22:57   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@AngelicPenguin-
Yes, almost everyone squelches. You only ever need to see one wand of haste monster. And by the time you find a (+2,+7) whip, you can safely squelch all "magical blunt weapons." You're next step will almost certainly be an ego weapon, which at the least tend to get better bonuses.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017, 23:01   #27
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@AngelicPenguin-
Yes, almost everyone squelches. You only ever need to see one wand of haste monster. And by the time you find a (+2,+7) whip, you can safely squelch all "magical blunt weapons." You're next step will almost certainly be an ego weapon, which at the least tend to get better bonuses.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I just created a keypress so that I could just squelch it on the floor "for this item only" - seems tidy enough.
Old June 29, 2017, 23:28   #28
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Long time player but newb to 4.x, still trying to deal with new keymaps. This may be a feature, not a bug, but I'm wanting my paladin to cast Sense Surroundings then rest. Mapped a key to m3gR&[return] and it works as long as the prayer is successful. But if the prayer fails (concentration), when I really want the rest so I can cast again, I don't get the rest action. I may be misremembering but I think I was able to do this for the mage Identify spell back in the 3.x macro days.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 01:49   #29
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
Long time player but newb to 4.x, still trying to deal with new keymaps. This may be a feature, not a bug, but I'm wanting my paladin to cast Sense Surroundings then rest. Mapped a key to m3gR&[return] and it works as long as the prayer is successful. But if the prayer fails (concentration), when I really want the rest so I can cast again, I don't get the rest action. I may be misremembering but I think I was able to do this for the mage Identify spell back in the 3.x macro days.
Just map one key to sense surroundings and another key to resting (but not &, try 5 or 10 turns). It's not necessary to rest after every cast. You can recover hitpoints and mana points while walking around, twice as quickly once you have regeneration. Rest when you need to, but resting always is a bad habit to get into, in my opinion.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 02:55   #30
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You almost always want to squelch "all items of type". I don't know why "this item only" squelch even exists.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote