Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 30, 2017, 20:58   #41
AngelicPenguin
Scout

AngelicPenguin is on a distinguished road
As a ranger, should I be trying to use the Sorcery and Evocations book (I also just found the Resistances of Scarabtarices)

S and E the only spell I was considering was Teleport Other but it's failure rate is 50%.

The Resist book seems handy for fire and cold resist since their fail rate is low, but the other two resist spells have a really high fail and mana cost.

But two slots in inventory...I could replace my Resist Poison ring I carry around for poison guys, but the Poison spell has such a high fail rate and cost I don't know if it would be practical.

Do the fail rate of some of these higher spells (like Identify) ever go below 50% for a Ranger?
AngelicPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 21:44   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Failure rates depend on your level and INT score. Your INT is not great right now, but it will get better, and those spells will definitely become worth using. But at 50% failure rate? Probably not.

Haste Self is another important spell from Sorceries & Evocations.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 21:52   #43
Sideways
Scout

Sideways is on a distinguished road
The fail rates will go down fairly fast as your character becomes stronger, down to a limit of 5% for a high-level, high-INT ranger; ranger fail rates never go lower than that, even for easy spells.

Sorcery and Evocations probably won't help your character much yet... yet; but you'll get Haste Self on clvl 33, and the fail rate on TO will go down.

RoS is useful already, I think, for double resistances against big fire/cold breathers; if your plan is to run away from all big breathers for now it won't matter much, but if you feel ready to start killing ancient red/white dragons it's a good thing to have. Hold on to the rPois ring, though.

(Warning: there are much better rangers in this forum than me!)
Old June 30, 2017, 21:55   #44
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Failure rates depend on your level and INT score. Your INT is not great right now, but it will get better, and those spells will definitely become worth using. But at 50% failure rate? Probably not.

Haste Self is another important spell from Sorceries & Evocations.
Oh ok - I put on a helm that put my INT to 18/10 and Identify (a spell I've had forever) is still at 50% so I thought maybe there was floor for rangers on fail rate of some of the better stuff.

Unrelated - will Waldern, King of Water just annihilate me? I'm level 31 at 1800' and he's found at 2150'. I'm afraid b/c it says he shoots Water Balls and I'm guessing there is no resistance.
Old June 30, 2017, 22:04   #45
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
The fail rates will go down fairly fast as your character becomes stronger, down to a limit of 5% for a high-level, high-INT ranger; ranger fail rates never go lower than that, even for easy spells.

Sorcery and Evocations probably won't help your character much yet... yet; but you'll get Haste Self on clvl 33, and the fail rate on TO will go down.

RoS is useful already, I think, for double resistances against big fire/cold breathers; if your plan is to run away from all big breathers for now it won't matter much, but if you feel ready to start killing ancient red/white dragons it's a good thing to have. Hold on to the rPois ring, though.

(Warning: there are much better rangers in this forum than me!)
Good to know - thanks!

I've managed to beat a handful of Ancient dragons I think because I'm able to get up to them asleep and wack them down really quick (breath attacks are based on their current hit points right?)

I did have a green one breathe on me when I thought he was inside a vault I had to dig into to get him out but he rounded a corner I didn't see. Knocked me down to ~60 hp as I didn't have my rPois ring on. Lucky teleport escaped me into an empty corner somewhere.

Re: rangers - I've always played them. Once I tried a mage and I kept running out of mana and it was frustrating. Ranger can detect monsters, traps and identify pretty quickly, so I've always been at a loss to how the other characters even play really. I guess you hope for telepathy and rods? I know priests get detect evil, but that seems a bit narrow.

This is from someone who has never made it past CL ~50, though.
Old June 30, 2017, 22:13   #46
kandrc
Adept

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicPenguin View Post
This is from someone who has never made it past CL ~50, though.
I think I speak for everybody when I say it would be very impressive if you made it past CL50.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 22:21   #47
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
I think I speak for everybody when I say it would be very impressive if you made it past CL50.
Oh haha - I know I had a character in the mid 40s in ZAngband - I never knew the cap was 50! For some reason I've always thought it was 99.
Old June 30, 2017, 22:37   #48
Sideways
Scout

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Waldern won't annihilate you at this point, in the sense of you getting insta-killed, and pConf would protect you from that side effect; but stunning would still be nasty, as would the raw damage. (You can't resist water itself, but you can resist its side-effects, viz. stunning and confusion.) It's almost certainly best to leave Waldern alone for now.

Breath attacks are based on the monster's current hit points, yes; but they also have absolute upper limits, so as you go deep enough you'll start seeing monsters who seem to breathe at full strength even when they're not at full HP. What happens is that their attacks are so strong that they hit the upper limit even when they're not quite at full strength; as with every other monster, their breath attacks do weaken as they lose hit points.
Old June 30, 2017, 22:45   #49
AngelicPenguin
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Waldern won't annihilate you at this point, in the sense of you getting insta-killed, and pConf would protect you from that side effect; but stunning would still be nasty, as would the raw damage. (You can't resist water itself, but you can resist its side-effects, viz. stunning and confusion.) It's almost certainly best to leave Waldern alone for now.

Breath attacks are based on the monster's current hit points, yes; but they also have absolute upper limits, so as you go deep enough you'll start seeing monsters who seem to breathe at full strength even when they're not at full HP. What happens is that their attacks are so strong that they hit the upper limit even when they're not quite at full strength; as with every other monster, their breath attacks do weaken as they lose hit points.
Thanks good to know - I ignored him and went down a level. That seems so counter intuitive to me, but I guess he was not native to that level anyway.

Thanks for the info on breath attacks!
Old June 30, 2017, 23:15   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The elemental uniques are not really worth fighting if you can avoid them. They're all pretty nasty and they don't drop any items, so your only reward besides XP is that they won't show up again once they've been destroyed.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote