AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 3, 2017, 21:17   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Al-
When in doubt about resistances, pick shards...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017, 22:00   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
@pete - poscheng. So stacking resists etc. etc.

Just a note the serpent can summon dungeon guardians so the Cthulu critter from the bottom of Ryleh is a possibility, as well as say Vecna.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017, 05:22   #13
Ironshod Al
Scout

Ironshod Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo
If you stick with your current weapon, you might as well spend the money to enchant its to-hit all the way up. You have a ton of cash, even if you're planning on an epic reforge.
I'll see what I end up with. When I know my final gear, I might reforge some high level artifacts to see if I can improve that way, but maybe it is a good idea to enchant to-hit on my current best weapon before I spend gold elsewhere, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo
Recalling straight to DL100 is sort of annoying because you can't stairscum for a better floor if you end up with e.g. omens of death. I prefer to keep recall point at DL99 after Oberon is down.
I intended to bring ?Teleport Level. That shold bring me back to DL99 if things go awfully wrong. I have 37 scrolls, so it should be possible to stick with them instead of stair scumming. Of course I'll add additional game turns by waiting for recall, but I'm long past the point where final turncount is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly
Just a note the serpent can summon dungeon guardians so the Cthulu critter from the bottom of Ryleh is a possibility, as well as say Vecna.
My initial idea is to hope for good RNG. Probably not going to last, considering the amount of HP I have to chew through. Still, I made five attempts to kill Oberon and left mostly whenever he managed to summon something annoying or because nasty uniques spawned on the level when I entered it. Lucifer showed up on one occasion and _Destruction didn't manage to send him away, so I decided to restart with a new level. The final fight was won mostly because Oberon decided to only summon a couple of cyberdemons and the rest of the level was free of dangerous enemies.
Unless Cthulhu or Vecna can oneshot my character and/or negate level teleport, this should have a chance of working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack
When in doubt about resistances, pick shards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly
poscheng. So stacking resists etc. etc.
This was one of the earliest gotchas when I started playing PosChengband. Starting out with an Angband mindset and not realizing that there is a bunch of small, but very significant differences between Angband and PosChengband. And now, with Angband 4.1.0 I need a slightly different mindset for Angband as well.
Ironshod Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017, 06:36   #14
Ironshod Al
Scout

Looking through my stashed items there is two questions that pop up:
  • Duration for potions, scrolls and activations are counted for the player/character time frame, that is, it is not affected by speed, right?
    So !Invulnerability has a duration for 5-8 turns regardless of character speed?
  • Is weapon enchantment in shops guaranteed to work or can it fail?

EDIT: Nevermind the last question. The price was 22k gold, so I just went ahead and tried it out. Even Soulcrusher doesn't match Defender of the Crown when it comes to base damage / damage vs evil.

Last edited by Ironshod Al; July 4, 2017 at 08:37.
Old July 4, 2017, 18:19   #15
Ironshod Al
Scout

I have now fought the serpent a couple of times and made some observations.
  • More speed is needed. My character nearly died to a double turn: rocket + nether breath. It may not happen often, but it would be better if it never happened.
  • I need more consumables. I tried to handle healing using !CCW, but I get gorged pretty fast, and _Curing doesn't clear that status.
  • More damage would be nice. Just to reduce the number of turns needed for the fight. With the current damage output I expect a full fight to last at least 70 turns. Summons are more common than I would have expected. It's fine with normal monsters, but uniques get in the way if they are immune to -TO.
My latest fight only removed a single *. The first fight was ended quickly as I realized that I needed ?Phase Door and not only ?Teleport.
I tried to reforge a couple of items. My weakest items were the crossbow and the boots. None of the reforges gave anything better, so I just wasted a ton of gold.
Old July 4, 2017, 20:31   #16
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I don't think grinding more is a good idea. If you have 15ish big healing potions, I would go in with the attitude that you are going to win that one fight or die trying. I wouldn't use anything less than a !healing in that battle, even if you're just trying to clear status. You can use !life when you need a big heal to also restore stats when they're drained.

You should also just accept that you are going to be double-moved. I try to keep HP above 750ish the whole time for that reason.

You can deal with summons by teleporting yourself away and then waiting for the J to appear (he'll seek you across the level.) Most of his summons can't keep up. If you ever teleport back over to where they are and the J is out of range, destruct them. ?genocide also works okay for Cyberdemon or dragon summons.

The first few stars can feel like they're taking forever to come off, but once you get over the early inertia things go rather well.

Generally I'll only flee the serpent fight if things are starting really badly and I haven't used any healing at all. Otherwise, I'm committing to winning or dying right there.

This isn't like fighting P in Vanilla, where you can generally stay 100% safe with careful play. You have to take risks or you'll never get anywhere, not even with a speed 50 character with 1000dmg/round.
Old July 4, 2017, 21:53   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@debo--his damage really kind of sucks for a Pos Warrior, from a quick perusal of the ladder. The lowest warrior winner--and there are very few of them--did 730 damage/round. Others did closer to 1000. Just an ordinary BoC would do better. I'd say, go ahead and scum for a weapon. Worry less about speed, because above 40 (hasted), you need a LOT to have more than marginal effect.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017, 22:47   #18
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@debo--his damage really kind of sucks for a Pos Warrior, from a quick perusal of the ladder. The lowest warrior winner--and there are very few of them--did 730 damage/round. Others did closer to 1000. Just an ordinary BoC would do better. I'd say, go ahead and scum for a weapon. Worry less about speed, because above 40 (hasted), you need a LOT to have more than marginal effect.
There's probably a rekit available that could have him going shieldless. That can boost damage by a bunch all by itself.
Old July 5, 2017, 05:13   #19
Ironshod Al
Scout

Thank you for the great suggestions, debo and Pete Mack.

@Pete Mack: Soulcrusher is a BoC, the best I have, and it does less damage than my current weapon unless I'm fighting humans, demons or undead. Mostly because it lacks slay evil, so I'll be using base damage against the serpent. The slays on Soulcrusher all brings the damage above 1000. Something similar is the case with Stormbringer. It's also a BoC, but only slays good and humans.

@debo: I wasn't aware that not wielding a shield would boost damage. Thanks for that advice. I do vaguely recall that murphy hinted at this for one of my comp 206 characters, but I forgot about it until now. Although I did learn his lesson about wearing rings of combat on the correct hand.
And I guess I just got scared by the double turn bringing my character to 47 HP. If this is just about the worst that can happen if I stay above 800 HP, then it is ok. I would prefer to stay and fight instead of recalling.

Taking off my shield does boost damage to 910 with my ring of combat and base speed of 23. Removing the ring of combat drops damage back to ~750. I do lose stat sustains without the shield. There are options, but I'll wait a bit to see if it is managable eventually. Still need more !Healing to survive.

I'm grinding DL99 at the moment. Got +2 addtional speed by finding =Speed+11. Also found Nenya. It gives slightly less damage boost than my current ring of combat, dropping it from 910 to 895 when I ditch the shield. With the addtional +2 to speed I'm almost at the point where I can match turns with the serpent through !Speed and my other =Speed. This, however, drops damage back to ~770. And I can't wear the addtional =Speed when wearing Nenya, of course.

So, plenty of options to consider while I search for more consumables.

Last edited by Ironshod Al; July 5, 2017 at 05:41. Reason: It's called Nenya, not Venya
Old July 5, 2017, 07:58   #20
Ironshod Al
Scout

Without a shield I can finally wield Shiva's Avatar without losing a lot of speed, since I can ditch ring of combat / Nenya for =Speed+9. I can even compensate with the crown of Amber, and Shiva's Avatar sustains stats.

A quick test shows that I can get the following results by swapping around:
No shield+Shiva's Avatar+Crown of Amber+Boots of the Sprite: Speed+29 / +39 hasted, 876 vs evil, weak Po, no NxDi, 1xFear
No shield+Shiva's Avatar+Helm of Hammerhand+Boots of the Sprite: Speed+26 / +36 hasted, 912 vs evil, weak Po, no Di, 1xFear

I can get +2 addtional speed by ditching resistance to light and dark.
No shield+Shiva's Avatar+Crown of Amber+Boots of Speed: Speed+31 / +41 hasted, 876 vs evil, weak Po, no LiDkNxDi, 1xFear
No shield+Shiva's Avatar+Helm of Hammerhand+Boots of Speed: Speed+28 / +38 hasted, 912 vs evil, weak Po, no LiDkDi, 1xFear

That's the best combination of my earlier setups. I could even opt to swap between crown of amber / helm of hammerhand on DL100 to test which setup works best. Since I have to accept the serpents double turns, I might as well go for the better damage. That'll be average 45 turns to kill the serpent, disregarding regeneration and turns spent healing.
And the setup might get better as I still have to grind a bit for potions.