Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 26, 2017, 21:05   #1
NimrodPE
Scout

NimrodPE is on a distinguished road
Missing/Hunting Unique Enemies

Let's say I roam around 2000 ft and have missed Draebor the Imp (1400 ft, lvl 28). Is there a chance that he, or any other unique enemy, will still show up or do I have to go back to hunt them?

If they show up nonetheless, is there a range how much OoD a unique will venture? (Besides vaults)

I ask because thanks to the monster list on thangorodrim.net I know that I missed some uniques.
NimrodPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017, 21:28   #2
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
There's basically no way to miss uniques. Ones from the first 10 levels will still regularly appear very very deep, at least in V. They're probably less likely to generate, because you add a whole lot of other monsters that could be generated.

More importantly, it's not a big deal not to kill uniques. There aren't that many compelling reasons to do so. Just kill them whenever you feel confident you can kill them without any major issues (consumable loss or somthing). The only uniques you need to kill are Sauron and Morgoth after all.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017, 21:28   #3
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Hello NimrodPE,

Uniques can show up again and again until you kill them. While they're less, and eventually far less, likely at depths far below their normal depth, they're not impossible. Not sure how much, if at all, vaults affect this process, but I encountered Smeagol at the bottom of the dungeon today, for example.

Note that there is no need at all to kill every unique, and in fact I believe I recall recommendations to leave easy uniques unkilled so that Morgoth will summon them instead of the difficult ones. Personally I find this too fiddly though.
Old July 26, 2017, 21:55   #4
NimrodPE
Scout

Thank you ;D

Well, I'm quite a "completionist" but on the other hand not that eager to hunt every unique. That n00b question just came up while browsing through the monster list.

@"Missing" Uniques: The Ant Queen just showed up on 2450 ft (usually 1850).

@Vaults: Quaker (unique golem) showed up OoD around 600 ft before his usual level, just to say.
Old July 26, 2017, 22:48   #5
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Ah yes. Vaults are often full of OoDs, and uniques are absolutely no exception there, true.

You can see a list of uniques in-game as well; it's one of the items on the menu you get by pressing ~.

You can see a monster's normal depth in-game while inspecting it. Many or even most uniques are best avoided if they're even at their "native" depth, let alone above it, but some are wimps (e.g. Mughash), pinatas (e.g. Maeglin), or hard to avoid at their depth (e.g. Farmer Maggot's dogs). Some are even wimpy, hard-to-avoid pinatas (Bullroarer). But otherwise - no hurry, more the opposite.
Old July 27, 2017, 05:36   #6
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimrodPE View Post
Thank you ;D

Well, I'm quite a "completionist" but on the other hand not that eager to hunt every unique. That n00b question just came up while browsing through the monster list.
If you want to be a completionist, there's always the aftergame--the dungeon keeps going past where you killed Morgoth. Win the game as soon as you're prepared to do so, then hunt down whoever's left. That way, if you get yourself killed fighting the Tarrasque (or even doing something embarrassing like fighting Shagrat), at least your character is a winner rather than a failure.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 06:52   #7
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimrodPE View Post
Well, I'm quite a "completionist" but on the other hand not that eager to hunt every unique.
I am too. When you get to the late-game uniques, they will sometimes summon other uniques, and the game just pulls from any that haven't been killed. So you'll get plenty of chances to kill the "early" uniques you didn't get to. And probably one-shot them if you're leveled and geared by that point.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 09:49   #8
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
if you dive and avoid as many uniques as you can, eventually you'll come across a greater vault and they will be all there.

personally i think the only uniques that can be let go are the tarrasque and huan, maybe chronos (shards), ancalong ..

if you do not kill uniques, when you fight sauron and morgoth, they are likely to case a summon and you'll find yourself surrounded by things you cannot Banish ..
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 13:25   #9
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Except for fun, hunting down all the uniques can be counterproductive. http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=107826
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 19:01   #10
NimrodPE
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
(...) at least your character is a winner rather than a failure.
Concerning *WINNER*: Is there a "safe" way to protect scrolls from being burned in the inventory by fire attacks? I find it quite annoying to lose teleport and other scrolls which the stores don't sell.