Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 18, 2020, 18:55   #21
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
I'm no expert diver, but I believe those "You must have X before level Y" rules have all been discarded in favor of "know thy enemy" -i.e. if you don't have resist X, watch out for monsters that breathe that element.
Stealth really helps with diving, as does detection.

The other factor is that new monsters spawn on the level as time goes on, so it becomes more and more dangerous to stay. Part of the diving method is to be ready to abandon a level as soon as it becomes too dangerous to stay.

There are an infinite number of dungeon levels you can visit, so there is basically no downside to abandoning a level, you will eventually find whatever you missed on a future level.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2020, 04:06   #22
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
I'm no expert diver, but I believe those "You must have X before level Y" rules have all been discarded in favor of "know thy enemy" -i.e. if you don't have resist X, watch out for monsters that breathe that element.
Stealth really helps with diving, as does detection.
There are other ways to play than the dive, dive, dive method. I tend to fully explore levels and try to kill everything. I don't dive beyond my abilities but I recognize when I'm in trouble and TO or escape. My games take a long time but I have a fair number of wins (where a win is killing all uniques not just Morgoth).

Quote:
The other factor is that new monsters spawn on the level as time goes on, so it becomes more and more dangerous to stay. Part of the diving method is to be ready to abandon a level as soon as it becomes too dangerous to stay.
There's risk everywhere, turning the corner carries risk. IMO, fully exploring levels is not bad, as the monsters who appear are usually easily dealt with. But learning when you are in danger and need to retreat or leave is key.
mrfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2020, 15:34   #23
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
my latest runs have a win% of .. uh, rough guess, 30%. Including early fails.
I don't dive, or rather, i dive in steps.

1. grind the early levels for launcher, basic IDs, magic weapon, FA, and stock on gear.

2. dive to money depth - where you start finding staves and wands - so you have enough to buy something OOD from BM

3. dive to DL25/35 depending on character once you have basic resist, SI, FA, detection, a stack of !Spd, a stack each of CSW and CCW, x3 magic launcher, sSTR and enough STR to dig granite, branded weapon; and kill early uniques (orc captains) for first artifact drops

4. dive to DL45 and stay there until you are reasonably buffed with stat potions and have plenty of TO.

5. after TO and stat buff, you can dive to DL98 and grind vaults.
I really like to have HL by then but can do without if i have great TO and many RLL.

slower descents are still better because - if you kill uniques as they show up - you can fairly safely TS around the map, while if you dive really quick you get to DL70+ and the map is stuffed full of 1-shot uniques such as Arien and Osse. Also, along the way they will drop useful artifacts and consumables; but, it's not as boring to play, which is in fact a factor on how often you die.