I upgraded to g++ 11 and it compiled...
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022, 00:58   #12
backwardsEric
Swordsman

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
I suspect the compiler is too old, it's gcc 8.4 which is the latest available in the apt repositories available. Is there anything else I can try besides setting up a newer version?
Perhaps replace std::reduce with std::accumulate? std::reduce was introduced in C++-17. std::accumulate should give the same result in this case (though perhaps be less efficient in compute time) and appears to be supported in older versions of the C++ standard.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022, 01:11   #13
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
3.0.0Alpha51 is up on angband.live but they're missing a few fixes, like support for a main window larger than 80x24 in the curses frontend. I'll see what I can do to fix it in the coming days.
Old January 28, 2022, 02:48   #14
smbhax
Adept

smbhax is on a distinguished road
Nice! : )

The map size happened to fit nicely on my 1080p screen with a size 19 Droid Sans Mono in Cygwin, so I hadn't stopped to wonder about what was setting its parameters.

Hm, the loose cursor blipping around the subwindows is more pronounced in live, I suppose just standing out more due to the latency. It's something I reported to them, but they don't play in Curses over there due to language support--I think--so it doesn't sound like Curses-specific bugs will be a priority for them. https://github.com/hengband/hengband/issues/2014 I tried comparing the cursor-handling bits I could spot in their main-gcu.cpp with Angband's main-gcu.c, buuut it was just "Greek" with minor variations to my non-coder self.
Old January 28, 2022, 02:52   #15
smbhax
Adept

(Aside from making the 00 00 FF TERM_BLUE color a slightly lighter 00 40 FF in src/term/gameterm.cpp so it isn't painfully dark to try to see, the other change I've made locally is to comment out the two "You failed to pick the lock" outcomes in src/action/open-close-execution.cpp, because bonking my face against random locked doors up to 69x so far just to open them was a bit much.)
Old January 28, 2022, 03:40   #16
smbhax
Adept

From their Discord https://discord.gg/VvDTvb4ewH : )

Old January 28, 2022, 22:28   #17
smbhax
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
Hm, the loose cursor blipping around the subwindows is more pronounced in live, I suppose just standing out more due to the latency. It's something I reported to them, but they don't play in Curses over there due to language support--I think--so it doesn't sound like Curses-specific bugs will be a priority for them. https://github.com/hengband/hengband/issues/2014 I tried comparing the cursor-handling bits I could spot in their main-gcu.cpp with Angband's main-gcu.c, buuut it was just "Greek" with minor variations to my non-coder self.
It looks like Hengband team member Habu1010 has submitted a pull request to fix the stray cursor, with changes to main-gcu.c and z-term.cpp: https://github-com.translate.goog/he...ull/2024/files

EDIT: Hah that's funny, Google Translate could handle it on the fly but not from a direct link, I guess. The original is https://github.com/hengband/hengband/pull/2024/files

Last edited by smbhax; January 28, 2022 at 22:40.
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022, 22:39   #18
smbhax
Adept

(And so it appears that they do have a team member who knows their way around Curses, which is awesome. Since Hourier said in their Discord developers channel that only Becky42 maintains main-g(c)u, I take it Discord Becky42 = Habu1010 on GitHub.)
Old January 29, 2022, 14:31   #19
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
I remember having fixed cursor issues in other variants, it was a small one liner iirc but I don't remember which version it came from.

Anyway I'm working my way up fixing the curses frontend in ancestral versions, angband 2.8.3 is done, next up is zangband 2.2.8. I'll have to stop at a version of hengband prior to their C++ rewrite but maybe one of their devs will be able to check what I've done and take it from there.
Old January 30, 2022, 01:00   #20
smbhax
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
I remember having fixed cursor issues in other variants, it was a small one liner iirc but I don't remember which version it came from.

Anyway I'm working my way up fixing the curses frontend in ancestral versions, angband 2.8.3 is done, next up is zangband 2.2.8. I'll have to stop at a version of hengband prior to their C++ rewrite but maybe one of their devs will be able to check what I've done and take it from there.
Hm well it's a horrific hack but by lots of copying and pasting from current Angband's main-gcu.c, I've managed to get a version of Hengband's main-gcu.cpp (I used habu1010's flicker-fix pull request https://github.com/hengband/hengband/pull/2024 as the base) that lets the game run in a *somewhat* larger subwindow--or rather, a full-sized subwindow, but something is preventing the map being drawn across quite all of it, so on a large enough resolution there are black bars to the right and bottom of the map.

I'm attaching my hacked main-gcu.cpp to this post. Here's a screenshot running in Cygwin (click thumbnail for the full size 1080p screen)--that map size you see there, 130x42 I think, is as big as it gets, even if you run with no subwindows:

The game also no longer assumes four subwindows from launch, instead requiring the usual command line parameters (like "-- -n4" or "-- -right 40x25,* -bottom *x7").

I don't know C *or* C++ so there are probably all kinds of horrible things going on here...but it compiles and runs, and *seems* to work in extremely limited testing. Maybe some person who actually knows things can work out what I've screwed up to prevent the map window from using the full area.

EDIT: As I found later in this thread, this actually is showing the viewport at full size; it happened to look smaller size because the "Yeek cave" beginner dungeon levels I was using for testing were smaller than the viewport size. ; ) So, this version **is** full screen, with -nN and PosChengband-style subwindow support, native Hengband colors, and habu's cursor fix.
Attached Files
File Type: zip main-gcu.zip (13.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by smbhax; February 5, 2022 at 04:49.
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote