Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 11, 2017, 20:47   #21
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Making some really dumb mistakes. Meant to ?phase but I swapped back to my teleportation-is-forbidden ring of damage +12 instead because and died. Oh well. I had *just* picked up a teleportation staff, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@grotug--
If you can't disarm traps, 'jump' on them with '_' command. Useful for going down trap doors too. Also, I find N/S exploration works better than E/W. The hallways are shorter, on average.
Good point about N/S! I do 'W' on traps more often than not.

Last edited by Grotug; March 11, 2017 at 20:49. Reason: replying to pete mack
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 08:35   #22
Justin Z
Rookie

Justin Z is on a distinguished road
You'll definitely want to turn on the "automatically clear -more- prompts" option--no question it'll save double-digit minutes over the course of a full run.
Justin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 10:16   #23
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to macro scrolls in vanilla? In Pos I'd inscribe @rp on phase scrolls then macro rp to 5 on the num-pad but I don't think it works in vanilla.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 15:14   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Is there a way to macro scrolls in vanilla? In Pos I'd inscribe @rp on phase scrolls then macro rp to 5 on the num-pad but I don't think it works in vanilla.
You can inscribe "@r1", "@r2", etc. on your scrolls, then make a keymap that does "r1" or "r2"; the inscription lets you refer to the scroll by the inscribed number instead of the letter of the slot it's in. In general the inscription is @, then the letter of the command, then the number you want to assign to the item. I usually don't bother to inscribe scrolls, but I do inscribe spellbooks and rods.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:27   #25
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
What's the lowest turncount? (number of key-presses- not including resting). Seems like you could ballpark it if you make assumptions about how many seconds per press. If you assume 1 second average per press (I don't know if that's too low, but maybe a balance between actions that can happen many times per second versus the inevitable pauses to look through vaults, make equipment choices etc, that would be ~11k turns. maybe if things like running make up a huge proportion of turns then you could have 5 turns/sec which would maybe be closer to some of the low turn counts I think I remember seeing advertised. Obviously very tough to play so quickly!
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:45   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@bh--
Running counts as multiple player turns, so 1s is actually to high.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:58   #27
bio_hazard
Knight

Seems like graphical settings (animations, keypress lag, run behavior) would make a lot of difference then. Also processor speed?
Old March 13, 2017, 03:36   #28
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Seems like graphical settings (animations, keypress lag, run behavior) would make a lot of difference then. Also processor speed?
I hope not. The fact you haven't had a dozen people shoot down this idea really makes me sad.

If the game requires skill, there should be decisions. Hard decisions. Thinking should be the bottleneck, not typing.

I don't think I've ever won much faster than 10 hours over 4 separate sittings. I could imagine 8 hours might have been possible for me back then, but I am probably kidding myself. That would have been playing a harder version of 3.0 but with ID on walkover. Fast ID makes a huge difference.

There was a famous guy named Lev before my time. I never interacted with him. One of his proud achievements was a win in a 24 hour window, I believe.

Has the game become so infantile three hours is even a discussion?

I know 3.1+ was such a joke that I eventually resorted to playing egoless, but I keep reading the game is supposedly less broken now.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017, 03:50   #29
bio_hazard
Knight

I don't know how serious anyone is taking this- I think this is just people talking.
Old March 13, 2017, 04:27   #30
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I hope not. The fact you haven't had a dozen people shoot down this idea really makes me sad.

If the game requires skill, there should be decisions. Hard decisions. Thinking should be the bottleneck, not typing.

I don't think I've ever won much faster than 10 hours over 4 separate sittings. I could imagine 8 hours might have been possible for me back then, but I am probably kidding myself. That would have been playing a harder version of 3.0 but with ID on walkover. Fast ID makes a huge difference.

There was a famous guy named Lev before my time. I never interacted with him. One of his proud achievements was a win in a 24 hour window, I believe.

Has the game become so infantile three hours is even a discussion?

I know 3.1+ was such a joke that I eventually resorted to playing egoless, but I keep reading the game is supposedly less broken now.
are you sure you're not seeing a problem where when is not? I play competitive chess. I might play for 5hrs, think for half an hour on 1 move, still make a bad mistake & think the time control was not enough. I also play lightning (5 minutes each). A lightning game never holds the same standard for me, but is still a great game, just very different. I, was about to waffle on a bit explaining, but... the real difference between speed running a game & playing carefully? Play & see. Different standards. Different game. Both fun. Don't be an elitist about this.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed, speedrun