Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2017, 20:47   #21
Grotug
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 618
Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Making some really dumb mistakes. Meant to ?phase but I swapped back to my teleportation-is-forbidden ring of damage +12 instead because and died. Oh well. I had *just* picked up a teleportation staff, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@grotug--
If you can't disarm traps, 'jump' on them with '_' command. Useful for going down trap doors too. Also, I find N/S exploration works better than E/W. The hallways are shorter, on average.
Good point about N/S! I do 'W' on traps more often than not.

Last edited by Grotug; March 11, 2017 at 20:49. Reason: replying to pete mack
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 08:35   #22
Justin Z
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 19
Justin Z is on a distinguished road
You'll definitely want to turn on the "automatically clear -more- prompts" option--no question it'll save double-digit minutes over the course of a full run.
Justin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 10:16   #23
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,097
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to macro scrolls in vanilla? In Pos I'd inscribe @rp on phase scrolls then macro rp to 5 on the num-pad but I don't think it works in vanilla.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 15:14   #24
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,949
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Is there a way to macro scrolls in vanilla? In Pos I'd inscribe @rp on phase scrolls then macro rp to 5 on the num-pad but I don't think it works in vanilla.
You can inscribe "@r1", "@r2", etc. on your scrolls, then make a keymap that does "r1" or "r2"; the inscription lets you refer to the scroll by the inscribed number instead of the letter of the slot it's in. In general the inscription is @, then the letter of the command, then the number you want to assign to the item. I usually don't bother to inscribe scrolls, but I do inscribe spellbooks and rods.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:27   #25
bio_hazard
Knight
 
bio_hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 569
bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
What's the lowest turncount? (number of key-presses- not including resting). Seems like you could ballpark it if you make assumptions about how many seconds per press. If you assume 1 second average per press (I don't know if that's too low, but maybe a balance between actions that can happen many times per second versus the inevitable pauses to look through vaults, make equipment choices etc, that would be ~11k turns. maybe if things like running make up a huge proportion of turns then you could have 5 turns/sec which would maybe be closer to some of the low turn counts I think I remember seeing advertised. Obviously very tough to play so quickly!
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:45   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,159
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@bh--
Running counts as multiple player turns, so 1s is actually to high.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 23:58   #27
bio_hazard
Knight
 
bio_hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 569
bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Seems like graphical settings (animations, keypress lag, run behavior) would make a lot of difference then. Also processor speed?
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017, 03:36   #28
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Seems like graphical settings (animations, keypress lag, run behavior) would make a lot of difference then. Also processor speed?
I hope not. The fact you haven't had a dozen people shoot down this idea really makes me sad.

If the game requires skill, there should be decisions. Hard decisions. Thinking should be the bottleneck, not typing.

I don't think I've ever won much faster than 10 hours over 4 separate sittings. I could imagine 8 hours might have been possible for me back then, but I am probably kidding myself. That would have been playing a harder version of 3.0 but with ID on walkover. Fast ID makes a huge difference.

There was a famous guy named Lev before my time. I never interacted with him. One of his proud achievements was a win in a 24 hour window, I believe.

Has the game become so infantile three hours is even a discussion?

I know 3.1+ was such a joke that I eventually resorted to playing egoless, but I keep reading the game is supposedly less broken now.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017, 03:50   #29
bio_hazard
Knight
 
bio_hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 569
bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I don't know how serious anyone is taking this- I think this is just people talking.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017, 04:27   #30
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,097
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I hope not. The fact you haven't had a dozen people shoot down this idea really makes me sad.

If the game requires skill, there should be decisions. Hard decisions. Thinking should be the bottleneck, not typing.

I don't think I've ever won much faster than 10 hours over 4 separate sittings. I could imagine 8 hours might have been possible for me back then, but I am probably kidding myself. That would have been playing a harder version of 3.0 but with ID on walkover. Fast ID makes a huge difference.

There was a famous guy named Lev before my time. I never interacted with him. One of his proud achievements was a win in a 24 hour window, I believe.

Has the game become so infantile three hours is even a discussion?

I know 3.1+ was such a joke that I eventually resorted to playing egoless, but I keep reading the game is supposedly less broken now.
are you sure you're not seeing a problem where when is not? I play competitive chess. I might play for 5hrs, think for half an hour on 1 move, still make a bad mistake & think the time control was not enough. I also play lightning (5 minutes each). A lightning game never holds the same standard for me, but is still a great game, just very different. I, was about to waffle on a bit explaining, but... the real difference between speed running a game & playing carefully? Play & see. Different standards. Different game. Both fun. Don't be an elitist about this.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
speed, speedrun


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviving Iso-Angband, an isometric view addon for Angband Hajo Development 111 August 3, 2014 19:44


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.