Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Should quality squelch use gp value?
Yes - please make this a development priority for 3.3 5 20.00%
No - just fix DSM squelching and leave things as-is 10 40.00%
No - use NPP's squelch system instead 10 40.00%
No - I have a better idea 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23, 2011, 20:32   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
"excellent" is "everything but artifacts" in that system. I don't expect it'd get used much for body armor, but for weapons, bows, boots, etc. it's still valid. Everything else you can deal with on a per-ego basis; it's not that much more work to e.g. have to manually squelch each separate Slay Foo subtype than it is to squelch all excellent-but-not-splendid egos.
Indeed not - that's why NPP-style is one of the options: it does per-ego squelching.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2011, 12:11   #12
gudjkrist
Rookie

gudjkrist is on a distinguished road
I also play with no selling on, so I would be hesitant to squelch by value. I don't think the little bit of extra work for per-ego is that much of a problem. It should only have to be done once.

As an aside, in the nightly I'm playing ("angband-r9a0d219cc4"), after going into options and using the menu system to auto-squelch it seems that the squelching doesn't work anymore. Beforehand, when I was doing squelching manually per item it seemed to work. Is this intended, or did I find a bug?
gudjkrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2011, 15:53   #13
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I don't think I'd like squelch by value, but that's sort of a knee-jerk reaction. I would have to try it.

I also would re-propose hard squelching. This means at some level the game stops generating certain items (only for non-flavored items!). This could be price based. The game just doesn't generate items below a certain power level. That doesn't mean it tries again to make a more powerful item, it means that it automatically destroys the item and nothing is in its place. From a reality perspective, the assumption is that monsters only care about the best treasure too, and destroy useless crap. From a gameplay perspective, this eliminates the need for id'ing (either by spell or by wield) armor and items.

Already the game sort of does this as weapons with negatives aren't available after a certain dlevel. But it needs to delete those weapons, not make them better.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011, 06:04   #14
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudjkrist View Post
As an aside, in the nightly I'm playing ("angband-r9a0d219cc4"), after going into options and using the menu system to auto-squelch it seems that the squelching doesn't work anymore. Beforehand, when I was doing squelching manually per item it seemed to work. Is this intended, or did I find a bug?
Squelch should definitely still work. What kind of squelching (quality or item type) is failing, and how is it failing? Can you provide us with a savefile for debugging purposes?
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 04:53   #15
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
Originally I suggested 'squelch by value' because:

a. in the (fairly short-lived) early stages of the game when taking stuff of market is still an issue it would quickly separate the Potato Peeler of Slay Lice (+0, +1) from the Huge Meatcleaver of Acid (+8, +9)

b. in the later stages it would allow you to continue to highlight the very best non-artifacts, specifically (and perhaps exclusively) ego DSMs, while squelching the 99% of items that you've moved beyond.

Squelch by value seemed like a quick and easy solution which avoids the need to address the inconsistencies of the current quality squelching, or at least means I don't have to research what qualities render an item of any particular class as 'splendid', nor do I have to fret over my inability to find any arrows with high resists...

It sounds as though the NPP system would address both the above, and more importantly would allow you to target specific resistance holes etc. If it's easily integrated into Vanilla then I'd certainly like to give it a spin.
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 05:28   #16
scud
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
Squelch by value seemed like a quick and easy solution which avoids the need to address the inconsistencies of the current quality squelching, or at least means I don't have to research what qualities render an item of any particular class as 'splendid'
Lokkak has just bequeathed me an example: a Halberd of Venom (+10,+5). I'm autosquelching 'excellent with no high resists' melee weapons; if I 'ignore' this halberd the 'b' option is 'all non-artifact...'. A blah of Venom simply should not be in the same category as Westernesses, Gondolins, Furies etc. Does any weapon actually flag up as 'splendid'?
Old May 4, 2011, 05:32   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Sure. Halberds of Venom, for example. "Splendid" just means "has traits that are obvious as soon as you wield the item". That includes stat boosts, elemental brands, light, etc.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 06:08   #18
scud
Swordsman

So 'splendid' is a bit useless, and doesn't slot into the gap between 'excellent with no high resists' and 'non-artifact'?

I've now completely confused myself by picking up a Pointy Thing of Lightning and discovering it qualifies as 'splendid'. Have the four base brands always been at the highest level of non-artifact? That certainly isn't the case in the Imaginary Angband Release That Resides In My Head.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:18   #19
scud
Swordsman

See, now I've only gone and found a bleedin' Thing of *Slay Orc* which claims it's 'splendid' in the autosquelch hierarchy...

Madness, I tell you.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:21   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As I said, "splendid" just means "obvious on wield". It doesn't say anything about how you might qualitatively rank various egos. The *Slay Orc* has a stat modifier, so it's obvious; the lightning-branded weapon arcs when you wield it, so it's obvious.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote