Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 6, 2011, 18:10   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Mushrooms of Vigor are consumables, and therefore tracked. I should know; I made this:

However, what you can't do is something like "percentage of all items that are mushrooms of vigor".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 18:15   #12
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Ah, I see.

But you should still be able to figure out "shallowest dungeon level with a speed ring in it" right? Just not what percentage of total rings are speed rings.
Old July 6, 2011, 18:30   #13
Derakon
Prophet

To my knowledge, rings of speed (and jewelry in general) aren't tracked at all. I could be wrong; I haven't looked at every table in the database. But nothing looked to me like a table of general item allocations.
Old July 6, 2011, 18:44   #14
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
To my knowledge, rings of speed (and jewelry in general) aren't tracked at all. I could be wrong; I haven't looked at every table in the database. But nothing looked to me like a table of general item allocations.
My monte-carlo sim is slightly different than myshkins and explicity tracks speed rings (although doesn't check for bonuses). Anyway I looked at =speed stats while running a sim for TO and made the following plots.

Speed rings jump up in probability bigtime when you get to dlevel 60. Both on the floor and in monster drops.

Before level 60, they are relatively stable between 30 and 55 (see the first zoomed-in plot) and have a floor allocation probability of something like 2-3%. Before level 30 they have well below a 1% chance of showing up, and if you find one you are lucky indeed. It is possible to argue that 2-3% is too high. If you clear (or repeat) levels, you'll have something like a 50% chance of finding a speed ring before dlevel 55.

Speed ring allocation late in the game is silly. This is almost definitely because speed rings are good items and the game tries to create them a lot deep in the dungeon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedzoom.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	744   Click image for larger version

Name:	speedtot.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	745  
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 20:02   #15
perdaniel
Scout

perdaniel is on a distinguished road
Smile Ring of speed (+8) at 1600'

I think that might have been lucky when I got my ring of speed (+8) from Lokkak, the ogre chieftain at 1600'
perdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 20:37   #16
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdaniel View Post
I think that might have been lucky when I got my ring of speed (+8) from Lokkak, the ogre chieftain at 1600'
yes, that's lucky but not obscenely lucky. If you clear levels 30-40 you should come across a speed ring in almost 20% of games.

If you're able to kill Lokkak at that level, then you are spending a lot of time there, so a speed ring should show up reasonably often.

The question for all the devs is whether this is desirable or not.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 21:05   #17
Derakon
Prophet

I'd say finding a speed ring before 2000' should be more like a 1-in-20 event, i.e. highly memorable. The range from 2000' to ~3500' is much more interesting if you don't have permanent speed.

To pull some numbers out of the air, here's my desired chance of having found a speed ring by this depth:

1000': 1%
2000': 5%
3000': 35%
3750': 65%
4500': 98%
Old July 6, 2011, 21:51   #18
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As far as I can tell the current stats generation doesn't track non-consumable non-ego+ objects -- so you can't track the frequency of non-artifact rings, spellbooks, ammo, etc. You might be able to track the availability of speed in general; there's some stuff with pvals that I haven't dug into.
wearables/consumables is a bit of a misnomer. The wearables_* tables track anything that's wearable or wieldable. The consumables_* tables track everything else. So, between the two, you have all items. Speed rings are k_idx 194 in the wearables_* tables. Unfortunately, I created the wrong index for wearables_pval_flags, and so I don't have good data on speed ring pvals. The main-stats.c algorithms come up with similar numbers to the ones fizzix posted on speed ring counts.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 22:28   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to see about getting some stats made for speed rings based on the 60k sim run.
Old July 6, 2011, 22:33   #20
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to see about getting some stats made for speed rings based on the 60k sim run.
Unfortunately that run is useless for *all* pval queries, due to the bug myshkin mentioned. The good news is that (i) he's fixed the bug and (ii) he's doing another 100krun sim as I type. So soon it should be possible.

In the meantime, I'm going to upgrade my server before I do any more stats ;-)