Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 25, 2010, 05:19   #21
KiTA
Rookie

KiTA is on a distinguished road
Why would Specter Berserker be so powerful?
KiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2010, 03:31   #22
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
Because its a brutal melee fighter who can pass through walls and has lots of good innate resistances and powers.

Honestly, they're pretty overpowered. They're kinda fun anyway, worth trying just for the hell of it, but they're not balanced at all. Even Berserkers from other races are easier than a lot of characters, not as unbalanced as this one though.
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2010, 08:02   #23
KiTA
Rookie

Yeah, I noticed in the spoilers that they cut the score of them to 1/5th normal. Same with Amberite Berserkers.

I've been enjoying Mighty Android Berserkers, myself. How can you go wrong with a character that STARTS with Legendary [2] fighting? I wonder what other Android classes are interesting. Most of them use mana, I think, which prohibits Androids from doing them.

Maybe an Android Ninja, in honor of the NSFW webcomic Blade Bunny. Would be hard to balance the low gear requirements of the Ninja with the Androids levels-as-gearscore requirements, though.

Last edited by KiTA; November 26, 2010 at 13:41.
Old November 27, 2010, 01:35   #24
ThunderToads
Scout

You could try an Android Cavalry. Cavalry is one of my favorite classes, I enjoy the novelty of riding monsters, levelling them up or looking for better ones to ride. I'm running a Golem Cavalry myself right now (riding a Dracolisk). The only problem with using an Android is you sacrifice one hand to control the mount rather than wield a shield or second weapon, but I think with good enough gear that wouldn't matter in the long run.
Old November 28, 2010, 18:11   #25
KiTA
Rookie

Things I have discovered as I've been playing:

- Don't do the Vapor Quest without See Invisible (!#@$)
- Don't do The Mimic's Treasure without some way to make walls. (!#@$ summoners)
- Don't do Logrus Master without See Invisible AND some way to make walls. (!@#$!#@$ summoning unique)
- Old Man Willow Quest is much easier than it appears.

Wish there was a Lord Dimwit-like strat guide. The spoilers are ok, but they're lacking in some of the details (like quests, and a general order of dungeons to take on).
Old November 29, 2010, 02:36   #26
ThunderToads
Scout

Heng likes teaching by the 'burnt hand' method.

I downloaded Chengband yesterday, I've been messing with the Blood Knight. I have a Beastman Blood Knight, I scummed character generation to get Chaos Deity: Khorne because it just fits so well. Interesting Class so far, I like the way taking damage makes you fight harder and the 'm' powers are pretty cool. I'm only at level 19 so I haven't unlocked everything yet, I'll post a dump at some point (probably chardeath :P ).
Old November 29, 2010, 08:49   #27
KiTA
Rookie

If I had to make 1 feature request for Chengband, it would be to steal some of the feedback improvements from TOME. The "character icon as HP %%" change, the coloring of text lists (artifacts, for example), etc etc, are all things I'm missing from TOME in Hengband.

I had an option in TOME enabled that would *require* you hit space to get past the *Low Hitpoint Warning!!* -More- Prompt, but I can't seem to find it in Hengband, either. That might just be me, though.

I noticed that almost ALL of the really really high scoring Androids have Ironman Arena Levels and/or Ironman Unusual Rooms on -- so I gave it a shot. It's... weird. I think I like it. Been fiddling with Android Weaponsmith recently, but I keep falling back into Android Berserker. There's just something soothing about a character that starts with Legendary [2] combat.

This is my best run so far. Turns out that the Vault is um, really freaking hard.

I should fire up a Sourceforge account, migrate the Hengband spoiler page into the Wiki, and start updating it.
Old November 29, 2010, 16:19   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
From what I can recall of the Vault quest in ZAngband, you basically have two options for clearing it: either stealth it, or wait until you can tank monsters from around 2500' without difficulty. Stealthing it can be tempting because the reward is so nice...but if you get unlucky then you can easily end up dead.

A lot of the quests are really nasty, unfortunately, and it can be hard to tell which is which until after you've lost a character to one.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011, 08:20   #29
DOZO
Rookie

DOZO is on a distinguished road
So I just started playing a Duelist in Cheng, and while facing my most worthy foe yet in single combat- a giant centipede- was wounded and received the message "You have been horribly scarred" with a corresponding drop in charisma.

...But, seeing this character is a Duelist, shouldn't my Charisma go up?

(Kidding, kidding. I'm guessing this is too much of an edge case to implement any special behavior for. But if you want to, that would be a nice touch! As an alternative, maybe Sustain Charisma as a class intrinsic?)
DOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011, 23:17   #30
artes
Adept

artes is on a distinguished road
Here's a bug for you in Chengband. I have the artifact The Cutlass 'Lightning Conductor', but it doesn't show up in Display Known Artifacts under Display Current Knowledge. Is it not counted as an artifact? It was the first artifact I found.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote