AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 21, 2017, 06:35   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Congrats!
Sounds like all the pieces are in place to stop backing up save files. Mostly it's a matter of a modest amount of planning ahead, and a sufficient degree of cowardice. And most importantly, somehow avoiding death to boredom.
Your description of the fight is pretty typical. Yeah, you have to phase away a lot--both to heal, and to avoid summons. And yeah, it takes a lot of melee. As Derakon mentioned, ranged combat is a lot easier, but is certainly less satisfying.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017, 11:12   #12
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

There came a point where I stopped force quitting after dying. The first time I "won" the game I cheated and it felt ... well, cheap! Angband is a good tool for practicing non-attachment hah.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 11:03   #13
grumbleguts
Scout

grumbleguts is on a distinguished road
The fight with morgoth doesn't seem typical to me, I have found in this new version (4.1.1) morgoth is much harder than he has ever been. I have over this past spring and summer (southern) given birth to, loved, nurtured and raised about 9 characters who have met morgoth (A far greater number that haven't even gotten past a red mold on level 2 of course.)

And morgoth not once have I even scratched him, after sauron being a doddle.

With resists to everything under the sun, he hits with 800-1000 hitpoints each time. One character used up 31 *heal* and life potions and got him down to half stars before I bailed with 200 hp only to be killed by a horned reaper or something.

Is there some watered down version of morgoth I don't know about.
grumbleguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 11:38   #14
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
What class is this with? Warriors tend to have enough AC to take like 500 average damage in melee, with a bunch of free turns due to the less scary spells, in my experience, and everyone else either has free healing, or buffs to take a lot less damage, or has no business being in melee with Morgoth.

I looked, but I couldn't find any character dumps. Those would be extremely helpful in diagnosing the problem.
Philip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018, 12:19   #15
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbleguts View Post
The fight with morgoth doesn't seem typical to me, I have found in this new version (4.1.1) morgoth is much harder than he has ever been.
The Morgoth fight is actually trivial in the 4.1 version... if you remember that he's susceptible to stunning.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:20   #16
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
The Morgoth fight is actually trivial in the 4.1 version... if you remember that he's susceptible to stunning.
And yes, I consider this to be a bug.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:51   #17
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
stun

How can you stun a monster, only with melee attacks or? Couldn't say i noticed once even to stun Morgoth while playing mages.
Old February 8, 2018, 19:16   #18
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
How can you stun a monster, only with melee attacks or? Couldn't say i noticed once even to stun Morgoth while playing mages.
Wand/staff/rod of stun monster. Or if you're a caster, look through the descriptions of the non-damage spells that prior to 4.1 were only ever cast once for the first-cast experience points.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018, 08:17   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Actually, the stunning spells are ice storm and shock wave. Vs. Morgoth, the latter is preferred, since it will do a modest bit of damage as well.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018, 12:15   #20
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
benefit of stun?

What are the benefits of stunning Morgoth (a monster)? Just not moving anymore, or does the monster indeed do nothing anymore (no spells either)?