Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 22, 2018, 10:51   #1
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
You are poisoned...

When you're low level, you don't often have access to cure poison items. And traps/monsters that can poison you are really common... But most of the time, the poison counter is not lethal. Your only option at this point is to press the '5' key a lot of times until the poison wears off.

What would be nice is an option that would allow you to rest until the poison wears off. Currently, the '&' mode (rest until full) is supposed to make you rest until you're back to full hp/sp without any status ailment left on you... but it doesn't work because it's interrupted by the 1hp damage you take on each tick.
Old January 22, 2018, 11:08   #2
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
+1 to this, and the same for cut damage

All it would need to do is stop if a) the status effect goes away or b) HP drops below a 'danger' threshold
Old January 22, 2018, 12:54   #3
mixer
Scout

mixer is on a distinguished road
You can die

I would not use this at low level as I have had so much poison that unless I heal I would have died.
Good idea when you have plenty of hit points and are happy to waste turns.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 13:03   #4
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
I would not use this at low level as I have had so much poison that unless I heal I would have died.
Good idea when you have plenty of hit points and are happy to waste turns.
The idea is to stop resting once you reach a threshold, for example the low hitpoint limit, so you don't get killed from the poison. Say you have 20 hps and you set the limit to 30%, you would rest until either poison wears off or you're down to 6 hps. In the second case, you'd have spared 14 useless keypresses...
Old January 22, 2018, 14:57   #5
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
The idea is to stop resting once you reach a threshold, for example the low hitpoint limit, so you don't get killed from the poison. Say you have 20 hps and you set the limit to 30%, you would rest until either poison wears off or you're down to 6 hps. In the second case, you'd have spared 14 useless keypresses...
And avoided accidentally pressing the key 20 times...
Old January 22, 2018, 15:29   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
How often is this an issue? Is it really worth adding another sub-command to deal with it?

In particular, I'm leery of anything that means adding a code path that says "the player taking damage shouldn't disturb them". The potential for game-ending bugs is real.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 15:56   #7
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I have posted about this multiple times before. It is one of the big annoyances for me, too.

As for how often it happens: it is irregular; some games it is a minor issue and some games I get so frustrated that I just keep the button pressed down and die to not letting go in time when a nasty monster appears.

The issue is that poison counter can easily add up to hundreds of turns. If I want to wait that out (mind you I am trying to avoid that by all means, but sometimes it is the only reasonable option), I am sittng there for minutes doing nothing but

press wait - see if nothing appears

and so on a couple hundreds of times.

One possible solution would be to cap dot duration at 20 turns, though I would prefer if 1 point damage doesnt interrupt rest as long as hp > 1/4 maxhp or so.

Last edited by Estie; January 22, 2018 at 15:59. Reason: typo
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 19:22   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
In crawl it just lets you rest unless you have a lethal amount of poison in which case it says you are lethally poisoned. So that's another option.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 20:03   #9
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
just keep walking until the poison wears off, rest only if walking is too dangerous.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 20:49   #10
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
just keep walking until the poison wears off, rest only if walking is too dangerous.
I walk with shift-direction, when possible. Manual walking is reserved for dangerous situations and about as unpleasant as manual waiting.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote