Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2013, 15:44   #1
Haladon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Haladon is on a distinguished road
Faster regeneration while resting

I was playing a Dunadan warrior in Angband 3.3.2.
I have usually noticed that when I use the 'R'est command, the character regenerates faster. It was 4-6 HP/turn while moving but 10-12 while resting. But this behaviour is not seen in spending a turn with '5'(original keyset) or '.'(roguelike). I was still gaining 4-6 HP/turn. Then I set a keymap for '.' as 'R1[Enter]'. This resulted in a one turn rest every time I stay still. It would also heal at double speed. Shouldn't this be the default behaviour of '.' or '5'.
Haladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013, 16:00   #2
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 271
kaypy is on a distinguished road
Or possibly the resting bonus should only kick in after a minimum time...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013, 21:02   #3
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,846
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladon View Post
I was playing a Dunadan warrior in Angband 3.3.2.
I have usually noticed that when I use the 'R'est command, the character regenerates faster. It was 4-6 HP/turn while moving but 10-12 while resting. But this behaviour is not seen in spending a turn with '5'(original keyset) or '.'(roguelike). I was still gaining 4-6 HP/turn. Then I set a keymap for '.' as 'R1[Enter]'. This resulted in a one turn rest every time I stay still. It would also heal at double speed. Shouldn't this be the default behaviour of '.' or '5'.
This is ingenious and should be patched up. Thanks for writing about it!
__________________
"Physician, heal thyself."
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013, 23:38   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladon View Post
I was playing a Dunadan warrior in Angband 3.3.2.
I have usually noticed that when I use the 'R'est command, the character regenerates faster. It was 4-6 HP/turn while moving but 10-12 while resting. But this behaviour is not seen in spending a turn with '5'(original keyset) or '.'(roguelike). I was still gaining 4-6 HP/turn. Then I set a keymap for '.' as 'R1[Enter]'. This resulted in a one turn rest every time I stay still. It would also heal at double speed. Shouldn't this be the default behaviour of '.' or '5'.
There is a difference between normal "do nothing" and resting? I didn't know that and I have played this game for decades now. It this a new feature?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 00:13   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 7,020
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
There is a difference between normal "do nothing" and resting? I didn't know that and I have played this game for decades now. It this a new feature?
From 'command.txt':
Quote:
Rest ('R')
Resting is better for you than repeatedly staying still
In some variants the help is more explicit, so FA (from O) for example has:
Quote:
You recover from wounds twice as fast by resting than by repeatedly staying still.
As far as newness goes, that was in 'command.txt' when it first appeared in 2.7.9.

I could say RTFM, but I guess when 2.7.9 came out you considered yourself experienced enough not to bother
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 00:32   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I could say RTFM, but I guess when 2.7.9 came out you considered yourself experienced enough not to bother
At least I saved myself from embarrassment from posting a thread "wouldn't it be cool if resting would regenerate you faster than just staying still"
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 00:40   #7
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 54
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Is there any game design reason for 'R' to recover HP faster than '.'?
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 01:13   #8
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,255
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
At least I saved myself from embarrassment from posting a thread "wouldn't it be cool if resting would regenerate you faster than just staying still"
Y'know, I did this, a few years back, and had to be corrected.

Personally I don't see why 'R' and 5 should have different effects. They're both standing in place.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 01:46   #9
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,846
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Y'know, I did this, a few years back, and had to be corrected.

Personally I don't see why 'R' and 5 should have different effects. They're both standing in place.
Resting is sitting down, surely. 5 is standing up.
__________________
"Physician, heal thyself."
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 01:53   #10
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 54
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Maybe we should have two different keys, one to stand up for one turn and regain 5 HP, and the other to sit down for one turn and regain 10 HP.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does regeneration "stack"? gglibertine Vanilla 6 April 29, 2018 03:17
Game Turns, Standard Turn, Resting Turns Bombadil Vanilla 3 February 27, 2013 19:50
Do sources of regeneration stack? Knight Vanilla 4 October 17, 2012 04:51


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.