Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old February 18, 2016, 20:13   #11
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Here is my personal favorite: a "kill everything" build.
Noldor Feanor, stats 3443
Take 6 points of Melee, 6 points of Evasion, 2 points of Smithing.
On the first turn, buy the "Power" Melee ability.
At the first forge, take Weaponsmithing (free), and make a (3lb) longbow, and one batch of arrows.
If you have found some arrows, forge a mattock (remember to reduce the weight). If not, forge a second batch of arrows, and forge the mattock at the 2nd forge (if you haven't found one by that time). All other forge uses go to make more arrows.

The character only needs a small amount of additional Melee and Evasion during the early part of the game (e.g. down to 500ft), although you want to have an effective melee of *at least* 15 by the time you get to the cat warriors (600ft). Use experience to build Archery up to 7 and take Flaming Arrows (free), plus whatever other abilities you find useful (I always go for Loremaster, even before Flaming Arrows). Eventually, build Archery up to 10 and take Dexterity, then stop - you don't need more Archery skill than that.

The high strength (pus Power) allows the character to dish out a lot of damage. Probably the best weapon for this char is a 3d4 bastard sword, if you're lucky enough to find one. But the arrows hit hard too, even without Flaming.

Since this char will fight a lot, you'll want to have good armour. Definitely wear a Corslet. I can't stomach the melee penalty of a kite shield, but do use a shield of some sort. Wear gauntlets, and rings of protection. (Eventually you'll trade the rings of protection for rings of Damage and/or Strength, but you don't find those until late in the game.)
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016, 16:28   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
Songs are too situational to be of use, sadly. Song of the Trees is a good alternative to the smithing splash in order to guarantee some light midgame, Lorien is useful for stealthy characters and Slaying gets good in the endgame. Mastery is for the most part a trap option for "optimal" smiths.
It's worth noting that light gives melee & evasion penalties to light sensitive enemies & song of trees is cheap enough in voice to run near continuously in a fight. So if you grab trees early you wont be losing as much melee/evasion as it looks like (orcs & trolls are light senitive) & are in a much better position against things like shadows, late game spiders, wraiths(not sure if it drops their will for the specials, stunning them with a light staff definitely does). It'll cost you 1500 if your going the slaying+sharpness route, so it's only about a pt of melee/evasion long term.

Last edited by wobbly; February 22, 2016 at 00:40.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2016, 13:01   #13
wobbly
Veteran

Got a pacifist through today. A 0/4/3/6 Finarfin starting with listen, 1 stealth, 2 evasion + dodging. Felt pretty solid, a couple of advantages of going perception before stealth is: No dramas with alarm traps, less worries getting sandwiched or cornered. I'll just give the depths for the abilities so you can work out roughly how much you can afford:

0' Keen senses/listen/dodging
250' Disguise
300' Song of Elbereth
450' Lorekeeper/Loremaster/Song of Silence
800' Sprinting
950' Dexterity
950' Song of Trees/Power (for the crown)
850' Channeling
950' Majesty
1000' Grace
800' Leaping
450' Freedom (You'll need 1 str for rubble otherwise, though rage herbs work)
Old March 11, 2016, 05:34   #14
wobbly
Veteran

So as no-one's posted a smithing build I'll give one I play a lot. It's the heavy armour thumper - switch - something else.

Power, high protection suits a smith early. You've got no skill anyway but easy access to decent armour. Late game it's nasty, both noise-wise and dealing with certain enemies, so as you descend you build your armour lighter, more evasive, sneakier.

I'll give it for a feanor smith (1/4/5/4) starting 5 melee + power, 4 evasion, 1 stealth/perception/will. You'll be able to pick up 500xp at 50-100' which will get you +2 forge gloves, mail of protection & +2 evasion round shield. The extra con is handy if you plan on draining itat a forge. The armour (& con) is great archer protection you can head straight to that depth without to much worry.

Melee: Aim at 10 with power (more later if switching to warrior)
Evasion: Aim at 9, crowd figthing, heavy armour use (more later for warrior)
Archery: 3+precision (more later for archer or just because you're a high elf)
Stealth: 3+disguise (more if blah, blah)
Perception: Focus/Concentration on warriors, keen senses/listen on sneakers
Will: Enough for annoyance monsters by depth (a luxury early game, vital late game)
Song: later as appropriate. If you're struggling just grab elbereth at struggle depth.
Almost forgot Smithing: Armoursmith, Enchant, Artistry, 7 pts. With a crown of grace, the gloves that'll get amulet of grace which'll get feanorian lamp of brightness.

Basically get as solid as you can, smith what you can and then switch. You may find with a stealth switch there's an ugly depth where things are hard to kill & you lack stealth. You'll need some tricks but the main one is don't hang round long, start diving quicker, pick something that'll keep you alive and put everything in to getting it.

Oh & ignore heavy armour thresholds. Stealth thresholds will matter more.
Old April 2, 2016, 20:43   #15
wobbly
Veteran

So got a Falathrim start which has made it to 400' so far & is looking pretty viable. I just didn't bother with any archery or melee & just concentrated on taking skills to avoid being cornered (e.g. sprinting & exchange places).

So 2 str (good for the long bow, good later for rapid fire on a short bow)
5 dex
3 con (nasty early but livable for an archer)
1 grace

7 in evasion + dodge + sprinting
the rest stealth, aim for exchange places
start building archery

keen senses & listen are great on an archer but so is focus/concentration. Up to you whether you think you can afford all 4 or just want a pair. hunter & bane are also going to be good. As you have sprinting I'd be more keen on wolf-bane then rauko-bane. Wolves are faster/more perceptive & you should end up with the stealth to just avoid rauko if the situation looks bad.

Edit: Almost forgot you'll want something for webs by a certain depth. However you're stronger then most archers so herbs of rage might be enough.

Last edited by wobbly; April 2, 2016 at 20:48.
Old August 3, 2016, 18:07   #16
wobbly
Veteran

Apologies for 5th post in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
Songs are too situational to be of use, sadly. Song of the Trees is a good alternative to the smithing splash in order to guarantee some light midgame, Lorien is useful for stealthy characters and Slaying gets good in the endgame. Mastery is for the most part a trap option for "optimal" smiths.
Is this because you tend to play high evasion? Song of staying is pretty damn good on a high protection/2hnder build. The difference is pretty noticeable if you tank a great drake without a shield + it pushes critical resistance up a notch & lets you use str boosters instead of sustains against the worst stat drainers etc. You don't need sharpness for throne room with enough str behind a big weapon, so it's a viable alternative.

Song of Este is a godsend against spiders on high protection character. I've always got it for free from the ring but it's possibly a reasonable choice if you can do without sharpness. Though there's plenty of ways to deal with them without.
Old August 3, 2016, 21:59   #17
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Haven't played heavy armor since forever. Usually when I do it's incidental with me aiming for the usual 20 points in evasion and finding quality hauberks or whatever. Likewise for twohanders I generally make do with sword and board until I can comfortably swap the shield for subtlety since I find hitting enemies is generally harder than penetration (with a swap greatweapon for the occasional statue).

Staying does look like the most appealing general purpose song now that you mention it though, and fits into the slaying-for-the-throneroom plan. 4300 xp at minimum for an effective +3 will and +[1d3] armour isn't necessarily better than the approximately +3 evasion that could have been by the midgame though.

Este I've tried to make work, but due to evasion and armor mechanics the amount of situations where enemies just slightly outattritions you over time (and you can't retreat) are too scarce to justify it imo. Poison resistance from the will tree is just so much less of a hassle to get.

Speaking of which, I did finally find a smithing build I like:

Feanor 3443, 9 points in Smithing + Jeweler to start with (4500 xp, 13 effective smithing) and rest into combat stats. Never add points to smithing again. Make +2 evasion/accuracy rings and an amulet of the blessed realm at the 100' forge. Put all available points into accuracy/evasion with the usual clutch ability detours once comfortable. After finding at least +2 worth of smithing/grace gear, pool 2200 xp and then make a +2 smithing hammer with masterpiece and danger. Find another piece of grace/smithing, some mithril, then at the next available forge make a (+2,2d5)[+2] Mithril Longsword with Sharpness and Danger, draining all of your smithing. With a riposte build this is a much better weapon than anything you can conceivably find ingame (Ringil/Celeg nonwithstanding) and can overcome even statue and morgoths defenses with ease.

The reason I like this sequnce is because it frontloads the xp expenditure (removing the guesswork of when forges will show up), the combat rings shores up the skill deficit early on and remain relevant well into the lategame. Surplus early forges can be used to smith light jewels and id jewelry (or feanorian lamps if one is lucky nough to find early mithril). One could fit an artifact feanorian lamp into the sequence, but it'd barely be better than a feanorian lamp of brightness anyhow and getting sharpness in the midgame is a gamechanger.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote