Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 14, 2011, 14:43   #1
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Question New Dungeon maps

I like the new curved hallways idea - does give it a more realistic feel to the game that one is in a dungeon, a mine.

However, I think this will necessitate a few code changes to how spells are cast and how arrows are shot.

"Light Area", for example, ought to be improved a bit to cover either a wider area of dungeons as "rooms" are no longer well-defined.

Missile shots & beam spells will have much less effect as the range is much more limited now. I can guess that some would say that is a good thing; mage beam spells and missiles are too powerful as is.

Is the dungeon map, however supposed to be much smaller than a normal level of straight lines & rooms? My current nightly build is showing a map size about 1/4th the normal size.

Traversing curved hallways is a bit of a pain, as you may know... the "." + "direction" key sequence does not get one very far in such a scenario.

-S-Bux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011, 15:21   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
"Light Area", for example, ought to be improved a bit to cover either a wider area of dungeons as "rooms" are no longer well-defined.
I have been wondering for awhile how to handle Light Area in cavern levels. The thing I am leaning toward is just increasing the effective radius (and reducing the damage done to light-sensitive creatures, if necessary).

Quote:
Is the dungeon map, however supposed to be much smaller than a normal level of straight lines & rooms? My current nightly build is showing a map size about 1/4th the normal size.
It is supposed to vary. If it is consistently producing caverns that are too small then that's worth knowing, but I have wanted level sizes to vary more and now they are, so in my opinion it's working as planned.

Quote:
Traversing curved hallways is a bit of a pain, as you may know... the "." + "direction" key sequence does not get one very far in such a scenario.
Agreed. I've been thinking about how to modify running to work in caverns better without messing it up in other situations, but haven't got far (yet).
Old April 14, 2011, 15:33   #3
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Running..

I could see it working with a key sequence like "." + "left-mouse-button" click and have the '@' symbol trace a path as well as possible to the mouse click location.

Otherwise, let the "." + "direction" would have to determine, somehow, how a tunnel flows - similar to a straight line tunnel that bends one way or the other. If a tunnel is 1-4 spaces wide instead of 1-space only, the code would have to trace a path as near the center as possible and look for wide spaces & forks in other directions.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curved halls