Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 19:00   #1
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 493
bron is on a distinguished road
Sil : targeting

I keep screwing up my archery attacks due t a quirk in the way Sil does targeting. Normally, "ff" will shoot and arrow from the first quiver at the nearest enemy. Subsequent "ff"s will continue to target that same enemy as long as it is reachable (even if other enemies have since gotten closer). However, if the original enemy can no longer be targeted, then a new enemy (the closest) is chosen to be shot at. This is all fine and I have no problem with any of that. The problem comes when I deliberately target a square, rather than an enemy. This happens e.g. when "Listen" lets me know that there is an enemy there (I can see a "*"), but I don't hear it well enough to actually know what it is (which seems to be needed in order to target the enemy). If later I try "ff" again, the arrow is shot towards the square I targeted earlier, even if that square is no longer reachable (e.g. it is around the corner, or in another room). This is unlike the enemy-targeting behavior, where a new target is chosen when the old target cannot be reached. This can sometimes take me 2 or 3 arrows to notice my screwup, since at first I think I just missed.

Can this be changed? Or can someone suggest someway I can avoid doing this wrong? Or am I just confused about the whole thing?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013, 20:47   #2
half
Knight
 
half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 904
half is on a distinguished road
I think you've probably described things right and this is currently suboptimal. Thanks for pointing it out.

It is not so much a new problem with Sil's targetting system as it is an inherited problem from V. I did do a lot to make archery in Sil fairly low-fuss. For example, simple quiver system, not selecting ammo when firing, auto pickup of ammo, auto quivering, auto merging of stacks even when they add to 100 or more, simple command for aiming at current target or closest enemy if no target. I even remembered to stop you firing at enemy targets who are no longer in LOF, but not to stop you firing at locations that are no longer in LOF. I'll make a note of it in the bug list.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013, 08:09   #3
Psi
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 870
Psi is on a distinguished road
I'll add that I've had exactly the same with my archers too.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013, 17:18   #4
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 493
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I did do a lot to make archery in Sil fairly low-fuss
Indeed you did, and your efforts are very successful and much appreciated.

Quote:
remembered to stop you firing at enemy *targets* who are no longer in LOF, but not to stop you firing at *locations* that are no longer in LOF [emphasis added]
Yes, exactly right. Thanks!
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013, 11:58   #5
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,750
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I keep screwing up my archery attacks due t a quirk in the way Sil does targeting. Normally, "ff" will shoot and arrow from the first quiver at the nearest enemy. Subsequent "ff"s will continue to target that same enemy as long as it is reachable (even if other enemies have since gotten closer). However, if the original enemy can no longer be targeted, then a new enemy (the closest) is chosen to be shot at. This is all fine and I have no problem with any of that. The problem comes when I deliberately target a square, rather than an enemy. This happens e.g. when "Listen" lets me know that there is an enemy there (I can see a "*"), but I don't hear it well enough to actually know what it is (which seems to be needed in order to target the enemy). If later I try "ff" again, the arrow is shot towards the square I targeted earlier, even if that square is no longer reachable (e.g. it is around the corner, or in another room). This is unlike the enemy-targeting behavior, where a new target is chosen when the old target cannot be reached. This can sometimes take me 2 or 3 arrows to notice my screwup, since at first I think I just missed.

Can this be changed? Or can someone suggest someway I can avoid doing this wrong? Or am I just confused about the whole thing?
Is Sil based on actual V code? I reported this misbehavior which is also present in V3.4.1: http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/332#
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013, 12:26   #6
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,385
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Is Sil based on actual V code? I reported this misbehavior which is also present in V3.4.1: http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/332#
It descends from an old version of NPPAngband. (0.4.1, I believe.)

Last edited by debo; March 8, 2013 at 12:31.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sCthangband spell targeting Demoniac Variants 0 March 21, 2011 21:49
Player movement bug while targeting a spell - 3.0.9b JonnyOThan Development 1 December 23, 2009 19:27
Targeting change in HEAD d_m Vanilla 11 November 22, 2009 00:04
Can of Worms - LOS / Targeting / Trick shots RogerN Variants 6 October 9, 2009 19:43
targeting differences between 3.0.9b and HEAD d_m Vanilla 4 December 21, 2008 22:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.