AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 29, 2016, 03:08   #1
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Diving with mage.

So I tried Mage for the first time in forever after losing a warrior to boredom.
Rolled up High elf to make the early game feasible for spelunking. Got a LCV at 1600' yielding BoSpeed(+6) and Kelek at 2350/cl 29. Have yet to see Tenser at 4600'/83K player moves, though a randart with recharge helps for that.

Just killed the Witch-King, giving cl 41.
And I hit the wall. Need 550,000 exp for the next level, and was hoping to avoid farming balrogs (fire immunity makes them patsies.) So far I've hunted all the demon and Ringwraiths. What others are good targets for mages? And what other monsters for that matter?
I'd go for the win now, but I'd need a huge pile of consumables given current damage output of 208
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 03:18   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

On this topic: The EXP requirement at high level is just ludicrous for mage. The natural playstyle is to snipe high value monsters. But the EXP requirement leads to farming balrogs, and the need for consumables means killing low level monsters for goods.
Mage detect treasure spell is nerfed, so targeted exploring doesn't work either. This just means: More grinding. For warrior and priest, that's fine. They can mow monsters down in melee. But it does not work well for mage
Old September 29, 2016, 03:43   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Your problem isn't mage, it's high elf. High elves have a +100% experience modifier, mages have a 30% modifier. I mean, they're both the biggest penalties possible, but the high elf penalty is vastly overshadowing the mage penalty.

This is why I tell everyone not to play high elves.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 07:06   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

OK, I figured it out pretty well. I have +14 tunneling from artifact boots and weapon, so I can easily set up long corridors if I need to. I've now killed all the big breathers from long distance (Huan, Carcharoth, Tarrasque) with Rend Soul or Meteor storm. (They do significantly reduced damage when beyond basic phase door range.) Reached level 43, so now can cast Chaos Strike (fail 18%) and Mana Storm (fail 35%) with reasonable 15 dam/mana. Took out Vecna, cat lord, Saruman, Fundin Blue cloak. Still using Rend Soul for non-evil, which really helped me get through a hard part. Now moving along fast, with ~40,000EXP/kill*--every other major kill is 50K+.

* not counting junk in the way.

Edit: for what it's worth, here's the dump
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19649
(Really AAR at this point.)

Last edited by Pete Mack; September 29, 2016 at 07:15.
Old September 29, 2016, 20:07   #5
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
On this topic: The EXP requirement at high level is just ludicrous for mage. The natural playstyle is to snipe high value monsters. But the EXP requirement leads to farming balrogs, and the need for consumables means killing low level monsters for goods.
Mage detect treasure spell is nerfed, so targeted exploring doesn't work either. This just means: More grinding. For warrior and priest, that's fine. They can mow monsters down in melee. But it does not work well for mage
It gets boring fast, but it makes for a nice break sometimes to farm druj's and/or high level Q's with a wand of clone monster while standing safely behind a LOS corner and pick up a few quick levels.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 20:09   #6
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK, I figured it out pretty well. I have +14 tunneling from artifact boots and weapon, so I can easily set up long corridors if I need to. I've now killed all the big breathers from long distance (Huan, Carcharoth, Tarrasque) with Rend Soul or Meteor storm. (They do significantly reduced damage when beyond basic phase door range.) Reached level 43, so now can cast Chaos Strike (fail 18%) and Mana Storm (fail 35%) with reasonable 15 dam/mana. Took out Vecna, cat lord, Saruman, Fundin Blue cloak. Still using Rend Soul for non-evil, which really helped me get through a hard part. Now moving along fast, with ~40,000EXP/kill*--every other major kill is 50K+.

* not counting junk in the way.

Edit: for what it's worth, here's the dump
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19649
(Really AAR at this point.)
Rend soul is the bomb for those that don't resist it.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 21:06   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

I hate farming. I only do it insofar as monsters summon during fights. And I do tend to fight in hallways; used only 3 or 4 ASCs the entire game. (For top balrogs, top Liches, Sauron)
Before final fight, there were 9 deep uniques (below dl 60), and 7 weak uniques. Killing big breathers (from a distance) and deep uniques is faster and less frustrating. I killed 4 druj and 3+1 deep Q the entire game.
Old September 29, 2016, 22:57   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

One more question: What's the deal with wands of annihilation? The damage estimate shows 412 damage, but on both Morgoth and Ungoliant (I tested them again to verify) they barely left a scratch. 14 charges took one star off Morgoth. Ungoliant shrugged off the attack, while Mana Storm was obliterating her.
Old September 30, 2016, 13:56   #9
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One more question: What's the deal with wands of annihilation? The damage estimate shows 412 damage, but on both Morgoth and Ungoliant (I tested them again to verify) they barely left a scratch. 14 charges took one star off Morgoth. Ungoliant shrugged off the attack, while Mana Storm was obliterating her.
No idea, used one vs Sauron and it was doing 432 damage each time. Same with Morgoth. Since Morgoth has 20k hps, it took 5 charges to wipe 1* from him.
Old October 1, 2016, 11:47   #10
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
What Derakon said - "I hate farming" and "I play high elf mage" dont mix.

While I - unlike Derakon - am a huge fan of high elves, the one case where I prefer other races is when I play mage.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote