Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 17, 2019, 12:21   #1
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Smithing Time!

Well I finally allowed myself to peek into Artifice. That's gonna cost me at least 30 hours of my life! So many possibilities, even at 100'!

What are the favorite Sil-Q recipes out there? A polearm with (duh) Polearm Mastery caught my eye immediately.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 14:08   #2
DavidMedley
Knight

3 Uses?

Hmm, I didn't notice that using Artifice automatically requires 3 uses of the forge. That tempers my excitement a bit.
Old December 17, 2019, 14:30   #3
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Hmm, I didn't notice that using Artifice automatically requires 3 uses of the forge. That tempers my excitement a bit.
Good smithing pun!
Old December 17, 2019, 14:48   #4
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Usually Artifice is taken a little later on as having one really exceptional item is outweighed in the early game by filling in obvious lacks. However, you don't need a great deal of Smithing to make powerful items, particularly if you're willing to make use of the Danger curse; a flame-branded Great Spear with Danger comes in at only 11 Smithing.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 16:47   #5
DavidMedley
Knight

Sure, it only makes sense. But when I thought I was gonna create 3 (admittedly weak) artifacts at 100' my eyes got as big as Grond.
Old December 18, 2019, 03:56   #6
DavidMedley
Knight

Putting 1500 points into Smithing and Jeweler for a Horn of Terror and a couple other trinkets seems like a good investment for Elbereth/Majesty builds.
Old December 18, 2019, 04:30   #7
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Good smithing pun!
I hope it quenched your thirst for puns.

Quote:
Putting 1500 points into Smithing and Jeweler for a Horn of Terror and a couple other trinkets seems like a good investment for Elbereth/Majesty builds.
I played a bunch of these. They're fun, just be careful of horrors which are immune to both.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2019, 23:35   #8
DavidMedley
Knight

Blood in the Water

I tried this a couple times. Seems like everything's going great and I'm the world's greatest genius, then I get low on health and suddenly the piranhas are all over me! Gotta be more careful with my health and escape routes because it can all go wrong so fast.

Starting with a Horn of Terror is pretty awesome, though. I've also been making
a Ring of Ered Luin <+1>
It improves your will by 1. It provides resistance to fear
and confusion.
an Amulet of the Vigilant Eye <+1>
It improves your perception by 1. It provides resistance to
hallucination. It grants you the ability: Keen Senses.
Old December 20, 2019, 05:08   #9
DavidMedley
Knight

Forge Appearance

What controls when a forge appears? I know there are 3 guaranteed forge levels, but it seems like you can still "miss" it by (guessing) seeing the room but not using the forge. So I'm paranoid to leave those levels until I've used the forge.

Outside of those three, is it totally random? I saw someone refer to guessing how many are left... so do you only get X additional forges per game?
Old December 20, 2019, 07:59   #10
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What controls when a forge appears? I know there are 3 guaranteed forge levels, but it seems like you can still "miss" it by (guessing) seeing the room but not using the forge. So I'm paranoid to leave those levels until I've used the forge.

Outside of those three, is it totally random? I saw someone refer to guessing how many are left... so do you only get X additional forges per game?
If that was me guessing how many are left it refered to turncount. Forges are created on level gen. For the guaranteed forges its when that depth first gens. 500' (or 550' if you shaft from 450').

The non-guaranteed forges are special rooms. The odds of a special room increase with depth (see generate.c). For the proportion of forge to non-forges look in rooms.txt

The short of the long is unexplored rooms on your level are no more likely to be forges then unexplored rooms on a new level and there are more deeper. Though I've never run the numbers to check if theres a sweet spot for forge chance.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote