Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2019, 11:20   #11
Voovus
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: London
Posts: 110
Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I like this idea a lot!
Same here.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2019, 12:34   #12
DavidMedley
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 312
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i had suggested a change over a year ago, start every set with a generic "potion" icon, "scroll" icon (or color), and as you discover what they are, replace them with a specific tile. So for example, when you discover *heal*, it will always be the same color in all sets, but before you have figured out what it is, it's a greyed out potion like all other unidentified potions.
Pretty smart!
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 02:26   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,984
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i had suggested a change over a year ago, start every set with a generic "potion" icon, "scroll" icon (or color), and as you discover what they are, replace them with a specific tile. So for example, when you discover *heal*, it will always be the same color in all sets, but before you have figured out what it is, it's a greyed out potion like all other unidentified potions.
Interesting idea. A big change from how flavours currently work, so presumably some people would be against changing

Opinions?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 02:53   #14
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,005
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I have a mild attachment to colors being different across playthroughs, but not so much that I'll stand in the way of a clear usability improvement.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 09:39   #15
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin / Italy
Posts: 807
fph is on a distinguished road
I like the idea and I think it's a step forward in usability. Some remarks:

* monsters have the same colour along different runs, and no one complains about that: on the other hand, we find it extremely useful and I am sure everyone would object to randomizing them.
* things get weird when flavours imply colours: if a healing potion is a grey ! when unidentified and a blue one when identified, why do we call it "gloopy green"? Probably this means that we should switch at the same time to using only non-color flavours (such as swirly/murky/etc.). Time to open a thesaurus and look for a lot of these adjectives.
__________________
Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.
--
You read a scroll labeled 'lol gtfo' of Teleport Level.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 09:59   #16
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,364
Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
I like the idea and I think it's a step forward in usability. Some remarks:

* monsters have the same colour along different runs, and no one complains about that: on the other hand, we find it extremely useful and I am sure everyone would object to randomizing them.
* things get weird when flavours imply colours: if a healing potion is a grey ! when unidentified and a blue one when identified, why do we call it "gloopy green"? Probably this means that we should switch at the same time to using only non-color flavours (such as swirly/murky/etc.). Time to open a thesaurus and look for a lot of these adjectives.
you would not; you would have
a mysterious potion {*12}
a mysterious potion {*09}
4 mysterious potions {*15}

the number is randomized. Or, rather, you would not see it because you dont actually need to. What's above there is what the game sees, what you would actually see is just

2 mysterious potions
1 mysterious potion
6 mysterious scrolls
2 mysterious scrolls

etc..
there is no need to use flavours to differentiate items if they have not been identified - your only marker is how many you have (so if you are at Dl5 and you got

16 mysterious potions
8 mysterious scrolls

you know they are !CLW and ?Light, just because of how common they are. But you do not need to know the difference between
a mysterious scroll, and
a mysterious scroll

because there is no way the flavour could have relevance in your decision to pick either for ID-by-use.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 15:35   #17
NightLizard
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 23
NightLizard is on a distinguished road
I like it! I like the "mysterious potion" over flavours too. But I expect removing flavours would be considered controversial by many.
NightLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 15:48   #18
Huqhox
Adept
 
Huqhox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 50
Posts: 121
Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLizard View Post
I like it! I like the "mysterious potion" over flavours too. But I expect removing flavours would be considered controversial by many.
It has to be said, having flavours adds.... flavour. Having everything as "Mysterious X" is fine from a game mechanic point of view but for me personally it removes an important element of description from the game.

Maybe there is some sort of compromise that can be reached? Non-colour adjectives is one way, but if you found a potion wouldn't the first thing you thought of was it's colour? Maybe describe the bottle/flask instead?

(Note: s/our/or/g depending on where in the world you are)
__________________
"This has not been a recording"
Huqhox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 20:36   #19
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,364
Sky is on a distinguished road
then do the same as scrolls;

a potion of {rexo thama whim}
2 potions of {allus phag}
6 potions of {xemeth abdar}
a potion of {mas kume noth}
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 23:12   #20
EpicMan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 385
EpicMan is on a distinguished road
I really like this idea.

I prefer the descriptive labels for potions for whatever reason. Maybe
a glowing potion
2 swirling potions
6 bubbling potions
a smoking potion
etc.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"This item has not been identified"? protopulse Sil 2 December 22, 2016 22:08
Bug report: Inability to change visuals for most identified objects Deof Movestofca Vanilla 4 January 26, 2013 01:18
Why are Lanterns identified? Zababa Vanilla 25 June 26, 2010 07:19
Bug or no bug: Mushrooms identified immediately Zababa Vanilla 2 June 16, 2010 02:32
@ shouldn't sense scrolls titles when blind fph Vanilla 10 May 7, 2010 21:49


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.