Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 21, 2020, 12:15   #21
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
If fast-cast is going to be crippled in one or more of these ways, then put back in good old Haste Self as another option.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 12:18   #22
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
My experience playing 4.2.0 Mage was that it was overpowered across the board (early, mid, and late) game, not just late game. The recharge spell would often add 20+ charges to high value wands like slow monster.
I see this as a reasonable mage-only benefit -- mage gets to really stuff charges into wands & staves. Nobody else can do that. Mages are masters of magical energy. The cost is the traditional mage disadvantages: terrible fighting and insta-death-vulnerable hit points.
Old May 22, 2020, 00:38   #23
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
I see this as a reasonable mage-only benefit -- mage gets to really stuff charges into wands & staves. Nobody else can do that. Mages are masters of magical energy. The cost is the traditional mage disadvantages: terrible fighting and insta-death-vulnerable hit points.
Actually, rogues can do it too (recharge wands and staves). Mages are better at it, becaue I'm pretty sure they have the Greater Recharge spell, but recharge was key to my first rogue win.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 15:32   #24
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
If fast-cast is going to be crippled in one or more of these ways, then put back in good old Haste Self as another option.
Fast cast is more thematic/flavorful/distinct. Better to try to fine tune it IMO.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 17:58   #25
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Fast cast is more thematic/flavorful/distinct. Better to try to fine tune it IMO.
Haste self has been a key mage spell for decades of moria/angband versions. I like the idea of fast cast, and fine tuning it is a fine idea. What I'd like to see is the effective +10 speed at a relatively low level, just like how haste self used to be. I don't like all the debuffs being discussed for fast cast. If the idea is to prevent an overpowered endgame spell, then this can be fixed by scaling down the acceleration based on player speed.

For example, if a player is at +0, fast cast should give 100% spellcasting speed increase (2 spells per turn) with no other restrictions (not losing fast case if the player moves, etc.). This gives an effect similar to haste self, but restricting the speed increase to spells.

If player speed is +40, then fast cast could give a 25% speed boost (instead of 100%). Or some other similar fall-off curve.
Old May 25, 2020, 22:03   #26
DavidMedley
Knight

Yes, I would like an "additive not multiplicative" approach for all speeds. Like, if you have double overall speed and double foot move speed, the result should be triple foot speed, not quadruple. Fast casting and shooting, too.
Old May 26, 2020, 07:52   #27
DavidMedley
Knight

This is already how overall speed works, btw. If you have a ring, boots, and a potion, all of which double your speed when used alone, you don't end up with 8x speed when using all 3.
Old May 26, 2020, 09:59   #28
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
This is already how overall speed works, btw. If you have a ring, boots, and a potion, all of which double your speed when used alone, you don't end up with 8x speed when using all 3.
Yes, I know. It should be relatively simple to factor in spellcasting speed, since there is already melee speed and movement speed, without adding all the other discussed restrictions on fast cast.