Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 24, 2012, 19:54   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Iggy isn't in Vanilla. Vanilla's least serious monsters are probably the Grape Jelly, the quylthulgs, and Farmer Maggot -- and I'm not certain I'd call the latter two "silly", more just "what the heck".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012, 20:01   #12
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Iggy isn't in Vanilla.
oops, you're right...my bad, sorry
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012, 20:50   #13
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Great Wyrms. Almost any kind will do; but especially Great Wyrm of Many Colours, which are not as dangerous once you start encountering them (IMO). Their tendency to explode into huge piles of treasure, and their ability to summon more Great Wyrms, is rather exploitable (with a little caution)

Dragon uniques. In T2 at least. Smaug especially is kind of a wimp, and almost always drops a randart. Ancalagon I like for the opposite reason - his combination of Disintegration breath and Summon Ancient Dragons gives even very powerful characters some pause for thought.

Draconic Quylthulgs. 'nough said.

I'll also note that, in T2, you can wear a Quylthulg and use it to summon stuff.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012, 21:45   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
He's probably as much a cathartic release for Nick as anything else.
It all started because one of the very early FA players sent me lots of bug reports, and signed one or two of them The Complainer. I threatened to name a unique after him, and it went from there... Note that all his complaints are based on things that were bugs in FA at some point.

I'm with Jeff in always partly cheering for the monsters (and note that Azatoth killed my best ever NPP character). My favourite from FA is Wiruin, the Maelstrom - a non-moving vortex, how hard can it be?
Old February 24, 2012, 22:54   #15
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
My favorite monster would be Nan, the Giant from Sil. *SPOILER* I always love that weapon he drops... Another honorable mention would be the Water Trolls in Chengband because they be can easy to kill for easy EXP.

Edit: I originally thought the thread was about favorite artifacts from variants. >

My two cents,
HugoTheGreat2011

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; February 24, 2012 at 23:00.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012, 08:55   #16
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
I think probably for creapy and weerdness value the Greps, silver beasts and other Daaj specific monsters get my vote, but on a personal level I do like the Orangutan.

It's one of my first ever games. I'm down around dlvl 14, the furthest i've ever gotten looking out for nastier monsters, but my paladin isn't doing too bad provided I make sure to use terrain to my advantage and not take on large groups.

Then suddenly, in a wide hall, there is the big, hairy orange beasty of disk world fame.

"ah" I think as I read the description "how amusing, but still not likely to be a problem"

So I way in and start hammering. Then suddenly I realize not only have I lost loads of hp, but this thing is getting goodness knows how many attacks.
i turn around and do a runner, and it chases me, ---- it chases me right into something nasty and poisonous that proceeds to slow, and poison me so monkey boy can give me a healthy dose of what for.

Talk about anti climax!

Now, i sort of make a point of killing them just for purposes of vengence, ---- though I do try to use ranged weapons if I can .
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012, 11:00   #17
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Okay guys, I think these monsters have a good chance of making it into FayAngband:
  • Evil Iggy (Moria). Not so much of a joke monster in FayAngband, considering Eytan Zweig's naming scheme for uniques. Do you know any other cool Moria monsters that did not make it into Angband?
  • Storm of Unmagic (FA). I don't know what it is but I have to find out.
  • Wiruin, the Maelstrom (FA). Perfect for Fay.
  • Blades of Chaos (Z). Perfect for Fay, although I'm gonna name it Blade of Aether for Fay-specific flavour reasons.
  • T2 dragon uniques maybe. For Fay, I'd like to add non-Tolkinean dragon uniques for dungeon levels 35-50. Recommendations?
  • I have to check out Sil and DaJ monsters.

If anyone wants to invent new uniques or recommend cool ones from variants, I have a little wish list. Note that Fay is a non-Tolkinean variant that borrows a lot from myths, and that in the next version of Fay the dungeons are capped at DL 50.
  • Non-Tolkinean Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes. In Fay, these races are half-faeries.
  • Other Ey/Fay-specific person races: Grippli (frogs), Lizardmen, Rattikin, Felpurr (noble cats), Ursa (bears), Vargr (wolves with a honor code), Kyrrus (spiritual mountain goats).
  • Naga uniques! I really want them. Either from myths or your imagination.
  • Goblin, Ogre, Mind Flayer, Demon, and Troglodyte uniques.

BTW, I just had an idea for making hydras more flavourful. All hydras should have a spell that grows another head, turning them into bigger hydras...

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; February 25, 2012 at 11:10.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012, 15:19   #18
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Okay guys, I think these monsters have a good chance of making it into FayAngband:
  • Blades of Chaos (Z). Perfect for Fay, although I'm gonna name it Blade of Aether for Fay-specific flavour reasons.

BTW, I just had an idea for making hydras more flavourful. All hydras should have a spell that grows another head, turning them into bigger hydras...
Why not call them Fay Blades?

And that is an awesome idea for hydras!
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012, 16:28   #19
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
Why not call them Fay Blades?!
Fay Blade sounds cool. Calling it a Fay Blade would require me to adjust my world metaphysics a bit but maybe it's worth it. I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding lately, trying to make my dungeon feel like a believable place in a fantasy world.

I'd like to have a Fay weapon prefix also, similar to other racial prefixes but somewhat more powerful. Fay weapons should be light, I think -- but what slays, brands, or other features should a fay weapon have? Maybe they could be very light but hard to handle, with penalties to hit...
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote