Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 15, 2019, 19:52   #1
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Journal of the human ranger

My last Half Troll Ranger won very easily once I found Telepathy. The 8d6 Morgoth/Sauron slayer made short work of both bosses. Now for a new adventure:

CL6 DL6

Bored of the repeating, winding passageways I fall asleep in a quiet corner of the dungeon. When I wake, my mind is foggy and my dream is still at the forefront of my thoughts; I go around smashing lesser creatures with my standard issue weapon but when a soldier doesn't yield I suddenly remember who I am. I am just a human ranger. I am not the huge, hulking half troll warrior of my dream. I flee from the soldier and then ?phase and restore my lossed health and easily pelt him with arrows.

Suddenly I realize I only have two arrows left in my quiver. Where did they all go? Shortly thereafter I wander into a stack of 31 arrows (+2, +1). Yes, I was not wanting to return to town so soon. I take the downstairs and come upon a nice whip (+4, +5) which doubles my damage output. None too soon, as I soon find that I have disturbed an ant pit. A corridor of furry legs and unfriendly mandibles come at me. I am bitten and weakened! I fight them back with arrows and magical whip. Fortunately I am gaining levels quickly and am periodically rewarded with renewed strength. A few times the ants surround me, quickly reducing my hp to dangerously low levels; ?phasing is my safest recourse, but lands me in the center of the ant pit! I ?phase again and land safely. As I escape, I hear loud shrieking. I flee and by some good fortune am somehow not pursued. When I recover I find the shrieking mushroom patch and kill it. A safe distance from the ants I quaff an unknwon potion. If it's useful, I want to use the buff against the ants; if it's sleep, I want to have enough distance that I will wake before they feed on me. The potion is speed, and I dispatch of the rest of the ants without much trouble and am well rewarded for my efforts: three weapons are scattered about inside the pit, each better than my whip. But the last is a special weapon . As I lift it I feel stronger and more dexterous. It is a spear with +2 STR and DEX and +1 CON and I feel my eyes tingle with super-sensory vision as well. Technically not an artifact, but a very auspicious find. I go forth with renewed hope and confidence.

(This is the latest nightly from around April 11).

Last edited by Grotug; April 15, 2019 at 20:21.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 15:43   #2
Grotug
Veteran

Not long after I come upon a slinking, sneaking creature and sense he is not up to any good. He dances around very quickly and I cannot keep my bearings on him. He keeps swiping at me and missing but eventually we engage each other after I hit him with my wand of wonder I've just found. I get in one smite of my weapon before he disappears in a puff of smoke. I decide since I only have 3 ?phase doors left (having used what little I had fighting the ants) that I will not pursue this creature. But he keeps pursuing me, stealing my gold.

I come upon Brodda and think he will not be much trouble, but my AC is only 8 and he has me fleeing very quickly (I engaged him with only 50hp). I use up my last three ?phase doors and he takes me to 9 health as I hit and flee him. Favorable ?phases are key to victory, especially the last one which put me back in a hallway I had just come from and was able to easily pelt him as he approached. He dropped me nothing, the wretch.

I return to town and smeagol and a hill orc harass me while I wait to be yanked upwards. After resupplying and learning !CSW, back in the dungeon I immediately come across a ?phase door scroll and realize I forgot to buy more. I decide not to return immediately as it would be nice to get enough gold to buy the =FrAct in the blackmarket. After a soldier stuns me, I find a ring of reckless attacks good for +5 dam and see Wormtongue (using magic) not far off in a lit room. I don't want to be robbed, but I want to see if there is something worthwhile in the room. After I haste him with my wand of wonder and tithe him, I find a short bow of accuracy and return to town.

Back in the dungeon with 31 ?phase I am presented by a wonderful magically induced sight: Grishnak, Gorlfimbul and Bullroarer. I bubble with optimism for a fruitful quarry. Also here are an ironfist priest and a lone uruk and some wargs and two half orcs. I light a corridor to Grhisnak and my wand of wonder stuns him, strips him of half his health and sends him fleeing! I laugh with glee. I finish him off with an arrow and melee and collect a caestus. He does bring me to 28hp though. Bullroarer is next to fall in four very swift rounds of my spear. He drops the Flail of Angil, a decidedly unspecial "artifact", one that is for sure in the running for worst artifact to ever be recorded in all the annals of Angband history. Hyperbole this is not, my friends: (2d6) (+14, +5). I yawn as the flail falls from my hands and clangs loudly on the dungeon floor. After killing the wargs that pursue me I see Glorfimbul also drops me chainmail [32, +7], an ordinary item that is decidedly more special and useful. But I am now down to 27hp and face to face with the ironfist priest. The question becomes whether to ?phase or heal. Since the priest moves twice as fast as me and since I have not been on the level long I decide to ?phase. More later today, as I have to run now.
Old Yesterday, 16:21   #3
Grotug
Veteran

I quaff a !CSW and suddenly my torch reveals the half-orc next to me, ready to finish me off. I engage him in melee but the ironfist priest surrounds me in darkness. I !CLW and sense that I am in a special room so I read a scroll of light room. Golfimbul is here sleeping. Though I only have 44hp I decide to try to kill the priest quickly with arrows, and he dies fairly easily before getting off another spell. The black orc is next, but I require another ?phase to get away from the uruk. Glorfimbul now wakes up and I find myself fleeing him, the injured uruk and the other half-orc. I then run into the other injured half-orc. Some favorable ?phases and fleeing and soon everyone dies surprisingly easily, though I am surprised to learn that Gorfimbul resists the elemental attacks of my wand of wonder. Arrows do him well enough, though, as does the bite from my orc slaying spear. Glorfimbul drops soft leather armor [8, +12] {??} (resistance?) and a cloak of Aman of stealth <+2> [3, +18] {??}. Very nice!

A short video of the fight. A good demonstration of favorable ?phasing.
https://youtu.be/4oi1H5zwmLs

I learn Stone to Mud spell, one of the key spells I will use throughout the game. My fail rate is only 19%, though I possess no wisdom boosting items. My starting stats were +6 STR, +4 WIS/CON and +6 DEX.

Short distance away I find an amulet of inertia (-1) and so I wear it as it provides FrAct. The level is a 4-1 feeling so I read one of my two scrolls of mapping. The stairs are close, but in a separate part of the dungeon separated by three granite tiles. I've learned stone to mud none too soon!

Last edited by Grotug; Yesterday at 16:27.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:32   #4
Grotug
Veteran

At the bottom of the stairs (DL14) I magically perceive Lagduf and a large band of snagas. Child's play. Lagduf drops <+2> Stealth boots. I like the theme developing here. Feeling good, I run into a pack of wolves and their jaws and claws find their way through my armor. I've underestimated them and they quickly take me to 12hp. A !CSW doesn't take me to yellow hp, but it's enough to keep death at bay as my spear rings true and the lot of them are run through as they come one by one into the corridor.

I haven't been wearing the amulet of inertia since I'm not quite at depth where it is essential. But I learn that my spear protects me from the spell of a Tamer to keep me from moving. Still, I'll hold onto the amulet in case I find a better weapon. I am glad to know the important rune of FrAct. Seconds later I find a lantern. I attack a red mold and learn the rune of resist fire on my armor. I am now pretty sure my armor is Resistance since it still has runes to learn {??} and the high magical AC enchantment is consistent with Resistance armors. In search of the stairs I eventually come into contact with an unID'd ?Deep Descent.

DL19: I immediately come to a hill giant and melee him and learn my weapon also slays giants. He nearly kills me. I ?phase favorably into a large room and finish him off along with a pack of wolves that rush me, but bow is just enough to keep them at bay.

DL20: I decide to take on a row of lighthounds to see if my aman cloak resists light. It doesn't. The lighthounds are surpisngly damaging and I quaff !CLW to see what's going on and a tiger is having at me. I ?Phase and then try a staff I recently picked up and it teleports me to the other side of the level. Nice! I think this is the second staff I've tried this game (the first being light room).
Old Yesterday, 20:57   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Grotug--
Are you finding it tedious to play non-warrior classes? The lack of any resistance spells (except poison for Ranger) means there are so many more fights you have to run from. So you end up buying a huge stack of !rHeat and !rCold no matter what class you are playing. And of course you won't go hunting swamp wyrms except as a ranger.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote