Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 23, 2017, 05:56   #1
Egavactip is on a distinguished road
The Big Bad Bow

This is the AAR for this character:

It was a character that started off really powerful, ended up weakened in the mid-game, then gradually came together in the endgame to be really powerful again. The key to his damage was a great bow, plus another item that gave it +2 additional shooting speed--the most bow damage I've done for a non-ranger and maybe even for a ranger, I'm not sure.

I've attached (hopefully) a screen shot of damage possible with Holy Might arrows (of which I only had a relative few for the final battles,.

This was an unusual game. On my second trip into the dungeon, I found a Rod of Speed and a Rod of Identity, which was awesome. I was playing a thief, so they would eventually become superfluous but both were great well into the mid-game. Very soon after I found a Ring of Speed +4 and an Elfstone which had speed +3, so my little thief could pull speed +17 pretty much whenever he wanted to. Needless to say, I cruised through the early game and the early mid-game.

However, the Randomness Gods managed to catch up with me. I had a lot of problems getting resistances, especially key ones. I ended up packing away the Ring of Speed, because I had to wear a Ring of Resist Poison, and had to pack the Elfstone away in order to get some other needed resistance. I was still having to swap for nether, disenchantment and others. All of this took up a lot of slots. I was finding good pieces of gear, like some armor that gave me +2 attacks, but it had almost no resistances and I just couldn't make it work without losing a basic resistance. I also had a problem with weapons, not being able to find a high-damage weapon or a decent ranged weapon better than a heavy crossbow of power.

I also had issues with getting stat-boosting equipment, especially constitution, so i was rocking a hit point shortage almost the entire game.

In the end game, things finally changed. I got a melee weapon that was decent, if not what one would really want for the final battles, and a great longbow that could do a ton of damage. My resistances started to finally come in, then were solved completely fairly late in the endgame with Power Dragon armor. Moreover, I got a cloak that gave me +2 shots, which transformed my killer bow into a superkiller bow. I was taking down deep level uniques left and right with that bow, taking very little damage in the process.

So I went against Sauron with that killer bow, but only 830 hit points, a mediocre melee weapon, and no banishments (they were in very short supply, so I was saving them for Morgoth). The bow thankfully did all it was supposed to do and I easily dispatched Sauron. Moreover, Sauron dropped a weapon that had CON +2, so I was able to switch to that and finally crack 900 hit points.

I went to Morgoth with the fewest banishments/mass banishments I had ever had, but good healing. My goal was to take him out with the bow, if I could, which I had never really done before, even with a ranger (taking Morgoth out solely with a bow, I mean). It actually worked out well. Thankfully, Morgoth did not summon too much, and I was shooting a million shots at him each round. I ended up having to use very little healing and did not have to strain my very limited banishing capability. So it worked out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FelonBoy1_2017Sep22_142608.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1576  
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote