Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 7, 2020, 05:24   #1
eastwind
Apprentice

eastwind is on a distinguished road
Coin mimics

I'm just grumbling here, don't take it too seriously, it's not a federal case.

But I've been delving as deep as level 28, and I keep running into creeping mithril or adamantite coins. It's kind of ridiculous, because I don't think I've yet seen a pile of adamantite coins that wasn't a mimic, and only maybe one or two piles of actual mithril.

Whenever I see across the room a pile of blue or green coins in gervais' tile set, I automatically think, oh great, another mimic, lets go over and swat it.

This is something that's changed for the worse from long ago in angband, it used to be that creeping coins were far more rare, and when they occurred they tended to mimic the coin piles that you were actually seeing real drops of, not off-level stuff. They were actually surprising when they bit you.

So it's a minor grumble, but I think this could be retuned to good effect.
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2020, 18:50   #2
VeritasAequitas
Rookie

VeritasAequitas is on a distinguished road
I agree, i dont even go for any shiny coins anymore, not even worth the hassle most of the time, and i dont even think ive ever seen a real one.
In fact in general i think money in this game is kinda... not useful really? i find myself not getting the pickups from all the humanoid charater drops as i ask myself, why am i even going to get those coins from that thing i shot
VeritasAequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2020, 19:58   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
OK, this is something to be checked.
Old January 7, 2020, 22:51   #4
eastwind
Apprentice

eastwind is on a distinguished road
On the plus side, you seem to always get a coin drop from the mimics of the appropriate type once you kill them, so it's just an extra step.

I was going to say something about chests too, because at the time I posted I had only seen two chests and one was a mimic (the other was trapped). But since then I've seen two or three more chests, all trapped, no more mimics, so it's 1/4 or 1/5 for me a.t.m., and that's not ridiculous.

I disagree that money has no use, you need it for the black market. I'm playing with selling on, btw, though I don't think that affects the frequency of coin piles, just the size.
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020, 00:06   #5
DrWho42
Adept

DrWho42 is on a distinguished road
waiting on bitcoin mimics

FishCenter Live on the Adult Swim Streams Weekdays at 8 PM GMT

🌲link🌲tree🌲
DrWho42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020, 05:05   #6
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
I like the coin mimics, tho there are quite a few around now. You can usually spot them easily. I still think it'd be good if potion and scroll mimics turned into the appropriate potions and scrolls when you kill them.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020, 15:36   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
I like the coin mimics, tho there are quite a few around now. You can usually spot them easily. I still think it'd be good if potion and scroll mimics turned into the appropriate potions and scrolls when you kill them.
Aren't these mimics specifically chosen to be desirable item types to lure adventurers closer? Making them actually drop what they claim to be would artificially inflate the quantity of Rings of Speed and Potions of Augmentation in the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020, 15:40   #8
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Maybe do it the other way around... whenever the game generates a pile of coins or a desirable potion or ring etc, have a chance it will become an 'animated' version

That would resolve the original poster's observation about OOD coin piles inevitably being creeping coins as well as allowing for them to revert to their 'inert' forms when killed without skewing the object distribution
Old January 8, 2020, 15:48   #9
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
You read a scroll of destruction. The scroll is really a mimic! Your katana Aglarang glows black. Wielding katana(blasted) (3d5) (-20, -20). The dracolich breathes. hit space to continue.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020, 17:09   #10
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwind View Post
I disagree that money has no use, you need it for the black market. I'm playing with selling on, btw, though I don't think that affects the frequency of coin piles, just the size.
The quantity of coins determines the type of coin though. So if you're playing with no_selling on, you're probably seeing rubies/adamantine/etc. 3x later than you otherwise would, while the coin mimic frequencies will be the same.