debo is on a distinguished road
We're getting to the mid/late game now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDjctjzdEI
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012, 23:53   #42
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Don't want to put a curse on it, but this character is looking like it could go all the way, certainly has enough stealth for it.

Did a little testing and yeah you're right, you basically can't do anything with an artefact bow, a shame. Though apparently you can make a single artefact arrow, which is quite funny. I wonder if there is some obscure use for that.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012, 03:49   #43
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
There is already an artefact arrow in game, and it is quite good, it is not subject to breaking. I found it on one character who used to shoot a sleeping monster, sneak up, recover the arrow, back up and shoot the monster next to it. Was quite fun for a while til i got dead.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:36   #44
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
Did a little testing and yeah you're right, you basically can't do anything with an artefact bow, a shame. Though apparently you can make a single artefact arrow, which is quite funny. I wonder if there is some obscure use for that.
In Sil, we tried quite hard to avoid the bow slot being used as an extra ring slot, so bows never grant non-archery related things. I think you can still make some pretty interesting bows though (e.g. a light longbow with + damage sides that fires shining arrows, slays dragons and grants Rapid Fire).
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012, 14:35   #45
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
In Sil, we tried quite hard to avoid the bow slot being used as an extra ring slot, so bows never grant non-archery related things. I think you can still make some pretty interesting bows though (e.g. a light longbow with + damage sides that fires shining arrows, slays dragons and grants Rapid Fire).
Yup -- it's just not something that you would think of e.g. spending Smithing points through Masterpiece on, IMO.
Old August 14, 2012, 14:36   #46
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
There is already an artefact arrow in game, and it is quite good, it is not subject to breaking. I found it on one character who used to shoot a sleeping monster, sneak up, recover the arrow, back up and shoot the monster next to it. Was quite fun for a while til i got dead.
Dailir is really good -- especially since Flaming Arrows doesn't destroy it.
Old August 15, 2012, 13:52   #47
debo
Veteran

Here's a new one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlMiLM7d44
Old August 17, 2012, 15:18   #48
debo
Veteran

This is one of my favorites so far Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/1sKUXL9YRiQ
Old August 17, 2012, 20:07   #49
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
With characters like this I usually just abandon levels when a grotesque notices me, unless I can get it stuck somewhere (quite easy to know when you have listen).

Watching this I realise that I abandon levels *much* more frequently than you do. My archers tend to get run off levels very often at certain depths (~350'-550'), as do my stealth chars (~550'/700'), with melee guys it's not as frequent but if the first encounter of a level is bad I often just generate a new level. This obviously has some risk to it with crumbly stairs and apparently a downside with regards to artefacts I hadn't really realised, so I'm not sure how good playing this actually is, though often it's a choice between stairs or run into the unknown so I feel I don't have a choice.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012, 22:27   #50
debo
Veteran

Hmn. I'm more inclined to bail on a level when I'm not reliant on smithing, because IIRC using stairs has an effect on your min depth. (Maybe I've got this wrong.)

I used to flee levels more often when I first started playing the game. With different character types (stealth-melee), I'm still often forced to do it. Stealth archers control space well enough that, so far, I haven't had to do it as much.

The one thing that will force me off a bunch of levels at deep depths is getting trapped in dead-end chunks of the dungeon with a low-perception character. I just don't have the patience to scan walls and I'm too cheap to buy eye for detail.

It might be neat to have a "song of a lot of bloody noise" that would make monsters seek you out, thus opening doors between you and the rest of the dungeon