Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 7, 2013, 20:07   #41
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I would also recommend this thread on the bay12 forums about early misconceptions that new players had about the game:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133654.0
There are some surprisingly common wrong ideas about a lot of things ...
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2013, 22:42   #42
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I would also recommend this thread on the bay12 forums about early misconceptions that new players had about the game:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133654.0
There are some surprisingly common wrong ideas about a lot of things ...
I don't suffer from the misconceptions in that thread, but I'm sure I suffer. I just don't know it yet.

All I read prior to actually playing DF is the it's incredibly difficult and that I'll lose countless fortresses before accomplishing anything. Perhaps I've accomplished nothing so far and I just don't know it, but I feel like I've accomplished something. I survived my first winter and my Dwarves are bearing offspring.

What is frustrating is that after easily 20+ hours of game play, I know I've accomplished very little in the grand scheme of things and I still have trouble with common, not to mention obscure, commands. There are times when I'll boot up my fortress and spend an hour analyzing my Dwarves skill set and plan a couple of areas/workshops/etc. and then realize that I've yet to unpause the game and play a single turn.
Old December 8, 2013, 09:17   #43
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
DF has a myth about it to be incredible difficult. That's not entirely true.
Some of the myth relates back to the early years when there was no wiki and also the game was harder than it is today. To survive the first year must have been more of a challenge then.

Nowadays we have the awesome wiki and countless starting guides all over the internet.

That the equally awesome game still is such a challenge for one thing is based on its ludicrous complexity and for another thing on the sometimes obscure interface.
The insane amount of detail does one last thing.

You don't have to use or even know about all possible ways to acquire food and drinks for your dwarves to start a fortress and take the starting dwaves through the first winter. A heap of Plump helmets and a couple of seeds will do if you know the basics of farming and brewing.
It's part of the fun for me to discover all off the possibilities (all of the different crops you can harvest and plant, all the animals you can butcher, all of the meals you can cook and drinks you can brew ... oh, and all the fish ... )

In one of my early fortresses I caused a cave-in and one of my dwarfs broke an arm. I had no idea what to do and consulted the wiki. So I started to build a hospital, which required lots of things I didn't have or even knew of, like thread, cloth, crutches, splints, plaster, a well, and soap. How on earth could I get soap? Again the wiki helped out and I had to get tallow, ash, empty barrels and buckets, a soap maker's workshop, an ashery ... And I had to enable all the correspondent labors without dwarf therapist, which I didn't use at the time.
That was quite overwhelming for me, but I got it all done. As a result, my wounded dwarf finally had it's wound washed with fine soap, had a wound stiched and got a good plaster dressing and a splint.

I never stop to wonder when I look to all of the detailed infomation screens dwarf fortress has to offer, such as the medical information screens which I discovered quite late ^^:

Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2013, 11:32   #44
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
DF is the it's incredibly difficult
DF is very easy and difficult in the same time. It is easy beacuse nothing is tight management, e.g. just ONE dwarf worker can supply 200 dwarves living (at least with trade, it will also be a lot of extra luxury), ONE top quality soldier (you will need 3 or 4 since they tend to sleep then they are needed) can kill any amount of goblins, kill megabeasts, etc.
Also dwarves need very little to survive and be happy, e.g. you dont even have to give any dwarf a bed, just a dormitory with e.g. 1/4 of your population size beds will work.
This was an easy part.
Hard part is that there are also infinite things, you can do, and eventually you will want to, e.g. have that nice artificial water fall (or lava falls) all other the map, and such things, while not hard to do may be fatal if a single mistake is done.

In short it is easy to make self sustained, invulnerable fort without any special luxury. But it is very hard to be satisfyed with such a fort.

In DF it is hard to win but even harder to loose (if you consider your fortress, not dwarves)
Dwarves will die anyway. Personally I like reclaim fortress mode (visit is as an adventurer first)
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2013, 12:27   #45
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
What is hard to win supposed to mean? I mean it isn't a game with an obvious final / aim and nothing forces you to go to the deepest floor. I once prepared for about 30 years with a fortress but then lost interest, I spent way too much time cleaning the remnants of goblin sieges and struggled against FPS death.

Nowadays I would almost certainly play a smallish fortress / ideally without elves and humans interfering /, shamelessly exploit traps to catch goblins for prisoner logic experiments and try to automatize as many processes as possible powered by logical goblins and minecarts. I guess I would be more satisfied if I could construct a system that gently trains dwarves of all ages to swim without injury (!) (and without need for supervision / manual interference) than all military challenges in the game.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2013, 17:26   #46
LostTemplar
Knight

Win in DF is a state of the fort, when it seems ideal for the player, not like surviving for 30 (or 300) years or conquering the hell.

Btw I like small, minimalist, military only forts (when you produce a bare minimum, ideally only furniture, coffins and slabs, anything else is traded from caravans with raw goblinite used as currency).
Old December 8, 2013, 21:19   #47
buzzkill
Prophet

I have enough dwarves now that I'm thinking about specializing, reducing the number of jack of all trades and limiting skilled dwarves to just one or two jobs (in addition to routine jobs like mining and hauling).

My mason has achieved a (100) skill in masonry. It seems that everything he produces now is a masterwork. Is this normal?

Is there a Dwarf Therapist type tool to manage my military squad(s)? Since I've had my first encounter with hostiles, I've found that military is every bit as confusing, maybe more so, as the managing the labor force. The fact that these groups overlap doesn't help any.
Old December 8, 2013, 21:40   #48
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
In a way, that tool is already in the game, as the military schedule. You'd best read the wiki to figure than one out. I'm not sure, but therapist may have a military manager already built in, too.

Also, you might want to forbid hauling and mining for your skilled workers. Hauling doesn't have a skill level associated with it, so you'd best make your peasants and cheesemakers do it. Lord knows the legendary mason charged with building the emergency keep-the-trolls-and-goblins-out wall will decide that moving those socks is more important right now. Or maybe that's what therapist is for...
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2013, 23:35   #49
LostTemplar
Knight

Quote:
My mason has achieved a (100) skill in masonry. It seems that everything he produces now is a masterwork. Is this normal?
Skills are limited at 20 without mods, so you are using some mods, I assume it is normal then.
Old December 9, 2013, 05:45   #50
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
Skills are limited at 20 without mods, so you are using some mods, I assume it is normal then.
Don't know too much about it. 100 is the Dwarf Therapist rating, on a scale of 1-100 (I think). Maybe that's different form DF's internal number. No mods that I know of except for the tileset.

Anyhow, concerning the military. Individual choice, weapon? I assume that means that Urist McSuicidey will choose a weapon of his liking? I've been wrong with my assumptions before. Right now I'm forgoing self determination and giving each militia member a crossbow and a spear (and a shield). Those are the only real weapon I currently have, having not discovered metals or produced and leather yet. I figure half a dozen poorly equipped, unskilled dwarves should still be able to kill a lone kobold. The last one got away, but I was quite pleased with the effort my little men put in chasing it to the edge of the screen.

I also have no clue how to interact with trade caravans. I've assigned a broker, but have I've zero dwarves with the appraisal skill, so my broker lacks that. The first carven came and something occurred, I'm not sure what. The second caravan came and went without any trade occurring. I've got loads of useless cut gems and some top notch masonry. I need to trade.

Outdoor farming... says I need mud? I take it that means I need to do some irrigation, but it scares the hell out of me.

Fishing... All the water I see is "stagnant water". I assume that's no good for fishing. What do the numbers mean? All water was "7", now mostly "7"and some "6". I've come to realize that I started well above ground level, atop a mountain or something. Maybe that's part of the problem.