Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 2, 2019, 23:59   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It Doesnt take Tarrasque to do that kind of damage. Ariel is perfectly capable of leaving you at -800HP if you botch a swap of randarts. I am all too sure of it. That said... I can't come close to Sky's example. That is spectacular.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 00:44   #12
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I've done the same as Sky, though I wasn't getting ready for the Morgoth fight, I think I was in the DL80s or something; got excited by new gear and completely forgot to check for FrAct after rearranging a bunch of new shiny artifacts.
Old May 3, 2019, 17:46   #13
Gauss
Apprentice

Gauss is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the advice. Next time i will just TO him and continue with exploration.
Just wanted to kill the Tarrasque so Morgoth doesn't summon him. Also i searched info on him and according to dnd lore he doesn't have any braths or magic attacks, just physical.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 17:56   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I think at this point we can pretty securely say that Angband's Tarrasque is a fundamentally different creature from the D&D monster that inspired it. The Tarrasque was added to D&D in 1983; Angband first came out in 1990, and I'm pretty sure it had the Tarrasque as a day-one unique.

In any event, unique monsters need some kind of bag of tricks to be dangerous in the late game. Horned Reapers are late game melee-only monsters, and they're only really dangerous because they can show up in situations where you can't easily avoid melee with them, e.g. as part of a demon pit, or by being summoned. A unique can in principle always be corraled away from everything else and dealt with on its own; if it has no non-melee threat then you can trivially, safely wear it down from range with any class.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 18:01   #15
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
Thank you all for the advice. Next time i will just TO him and continue with exploration.
Just wanted to kill the Tarrasque so Morgoth doesn't summon him. Also i searched info on him and according to dnd lore he doesn't have any braths or magic attacks, just physical.
You don't need to kill every dangerous unique. Please read http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...826#post107826

Then go to guns on the Big Bosses. Good luck!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote