Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 22, 2019, 09:21   #11
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Hmm... chocolate...

I wonder if someday someone will merge all those Pos variants and make "the reference". All you guys should make a dev team and work together to blend all the ideas into a single game.
Old July 22, 2019, 12:45   #12
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Hmm... chocolate...

I wonder if someday someone will merge all those Pos variants and make "the reference". All you guys should make a dev team and work together to blend all the ideas into a single game.
Well, there are only two, we have fundamental disagreements over certain aspects of design, and Sideways has like 5x the work rate and copies all the changes he likes anyway.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2019, 13:37   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Maybe some day someone will merge all these variants together to make a single game
Old July 22, 2019, 18:48   #14
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
The problem with a reference version is that everyone wants something different. For example, Vaults, three distinct camps, I Hate/They are OK/I Love, with little crossing of the lines.

Every version has something either unique, or simply better, but it also has a dozen things that someone does better.
I believe the last 'reference' version might have been Zangband which compiled everything before. Z has since been forked a zillion times... lol.

I loved PsiAngband way back when, as far as I know, no other version has ever used Psionics the same.
Blue mages were both fun and insanely OP.
Other things have come and gone, some good, some bad, Thirst for instance. Not all are worth 'compiling'.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2019, 23:15   #15
TauzentBlitz
Scout

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
The disciple classes should probably be at least beginner with their starting weapons like everyone else.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019, 13:10   #16
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauzentBlitz View Post
The disciple classes should probably be at least beginner with their starting weapons like everyone else.
This could be a reference to composband where everyone starts at unskilled, disciples being a pastiche of composband in many respects.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2019, 10:32   #17
Firons2
Rookie

Firons2 is on a distinguished road
Is there a pref file for birth options?

Edit: I've found the birth options, but no level size option unfortunately.

Last edited by Firons2; July 24, 2019 at 12:38.
Firons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2019, 13:32   #18
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firons2 View Post
Is there a pref file for birth options?

Edit: I've found the birth options, but no level size option unfortunately.
You can normally add new options in pref-opt.prf as you wish, unfortunately this only works for yes/no options so it won't help with the level size option.

What you can do if you want to set the level size option to a (semi-)permanent default value other than "Normal" is use the same savefile for all of your characters, that way the old character's options will be loaded for the new character as the defaults. Turn empty_lore on if you don't want item flag memory to also carry over from game to game.
Old July 25, 2019, 16:19   #19
Firons2
Rookie

Firons2 is on a distinguished road
Another thing, I have several artifacts, namely "The Short Bow of Neith" and "The Ball-and-Chain of Winter Wonderland", but they don't show up in the tilde menu under artifacts. Is this intended behavior?

Last edited by Firons2; July 25, 2019 at 16:30.
Firons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 19:18   #20
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Yes, ~a only lists standard artifacts - the ones that remain the same every game. It doesn't list random artifacts.

There's a good (but not that important) reason and a bad (but highly practical) reason why that behavior is intended. The good but not that important reason is that if you use the same savefile again and play with empty_lore off, you'll retain your artifact memory and can use ~a to see at a glance which artifacts you've found before that you haven't found on your current run; and for that purpose random artifacts would just be clutter. The bad but important reason is that due to the way artifacts are coded it would be pretty much impossible to list random artifacts in that menu anyway.

Tags
frogcomposband