Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 30, 2019, 02:12   #241
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Off-weapon means ranged weapon?
Off-weapon means that it's from a source that is not the wielded weapon itself. That means you have much more leeway to choose a weapon that has big dice but maybe not useful slays on it. Like a Mace of Disruption of Gondolin.

And correct, if you already have a brand or slay that's effective against your current target, then Slay Evil won't help you deal more damage. If you don't, and your weapon has big dice, then Slay Evil can really significantly increase your damage output. Imagine a spell that let you deal 50 more damage per round against certain targets. Is that a spell worth casting? What about 100 more damage?

For Teleport Other wands: shops only recharge items if those items are ones that they stock normally. So the magic shop will recharge Wands of Magic Missile for you, or staves of Detect Evil, but not wands of Teleport Other.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 02:58   #242
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The black market will do it... for $15K. Under certain circumstances, this is a good deal.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 03:28   #243
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Ah. Thank you both!
DavidMedley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 07:20   #244
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

How do you die to a Spirit Naga when you're that powerful?
nah, i looked at the spoilers; i had just started that character, was about CL11, and dived too fast.
Old October 30, 2019, 11:50   #245
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
And having Smite Evil cast won't help if your arrows have brands that do more damage, right? Maybe at CL50 it'll make some sense, but at CL33 Smite Evil is terrible.
Just looked and my last paladin was using the pick of Erebor. While the acid brand is fine for Sauron it doesn't work on Morgoth, Great Bile Wyrms or Bile Demons. As far as the earlier game goes I think it opens up possibilites for cold branded weapons which have a big hole against undead & also defender weapons which are otherwise useless in melee. Firestar is another interesting case, a lot of dragons & demons resist fire.

Edit: I've only had 1 serious go at the paladin since the change, I've got a few band characters alive already (though there's always a solution to that) but when I get some time I'll have a run & keep note of what weapons I'm wielding.

Last edited by wobbly; October 30, 2019 at 14:45.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019, 05:48   #246
DavidMedley
Adept

Alright, I guess Smite Evil can be good. I was wrong. The price tag and fail rate both seem very high, though.
Old November 3, 2019, 16:42   #247
DavidMedley
Adept

Here's an unrelated request: Can slay undead, or at least *slay undead* come with hold life?
Old November 3, 2019, 18:11   #248
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I was going to say that Slay Undead gives See Invisible, but I just checked the gamedata and it looks like all of the basic slays are just that: a slay with no other abilities. I'll admit it's been awhile since I played; is this new?

As I recall, it used to be that Slay Undead gave SI, Slay Troll gave regen, and a few others had miscellaneous powers, but now it looks like you have to get a *Slay* weapon for that. And even then, the *Slay* weapons all give a random resistance or power, with the only thematic elements being which stat they boost. I gotta say I feel like this reduces the window in which a Slay/*Slay* weapon would be plausibly useful to minuscule size.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019, 22:41   #249
DavidMedley
Adept

Yeah... stuff like "of Morgul" "of Gondolin" and such have an array of often complementary powers, which is cool. Slay Demon could/should have Resist Fire, and so on, so these weapons are more viable as switches.
Old November 4, 2019, 11:51   #250
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
[...] it looks like all of the basic slays are just that: a slay with no other abilities. I'll admit it's been awhile since I played; is this new?
Has been this way at least since 2.7.9v6

Last edited by Werbaer; November 4, 2019 at 18:43.
Werbaer is online now   Reply With Quote