Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2019, 22:11   #31
mrfy
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 142
mrfy is on a distinguished road
Getting a strange failure with the new version of MacOS Catalina. Create a new game, set my birth options to randarts, first trip down to the dungeon when it tries to save it says:

Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/window.prf.new
Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/lore.prf.new
lore save failed!

Quitting causes the cursor to spin for a bit and then the game quits suddenly with the dialog that "Angband quit unexpectedly"

If I create a character and immediately hit save when the town appears, it works fine, can go up and down the stairs repeatedly. But when I try to change the prefs, like to turn sound on, and try to save, then I get those failed to create file messages. So it seems like a bug with saving the changed preferences.

Looks like it only triggers by turning sounds on, or setting randarts on. If I change other game prefs it is still works fine.

I can provide savefiles or the crash log if necessary.

Last edited by mrfy; October 12, 2019 at 22:38.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 23:01   #32
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,842
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Getting a strange failure with the new version of MacOS Catalina. Create a new game, set my birth options to randarts, first trip down to the dungeon when it tries to save it says:

Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/window.prf.new
Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/lore.prf.new
lore save failed!

Quitting causes the cursor to spin for a bit and then the game quits suddenly with the dialog that "Angband quit unexpectedly"

If I create a character and immediately hit save when the town appears, it works fine, can go up and down the stairs repeatedly. But when I try to change the prefs, like to turn sound on, and try to save, then I get those failed to create file messages. So it seems like a bug with saving the changed preferences.

Looks like it only triggers by turning sounds on, or setting randarts on. If I change other game prefs it is still works fine.
Yeah, I can reproduce most of this. I'll look into it.

EDIT: OK, my current guess (and it is only that) is that Catalina doesn't like writing, for example, lore.txt.new when it already has a lore.txt. If anyone has any actual knowledge to contribute to this, that would be most welcome. In short, upgrade to Catalina breaks Angband, cannot recommend.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Last edited by Nick; October 12, 2019 at 23:25.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 07:21   #33
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,842
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
In the artifact.txt data file, the value for the weight property of soulkeeper looks odd:

name:'Soulkeeper'
base-object:hard armour:Adamantite Plate Mail
level:75
weight:420act
cost:300000
alloc:11:75 to 127
attack:2d4:-4:0
armor:90:20


The "act" bit is wrong, right?
Something must have happened to your local version - mine's fine, as is github's.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 19:34   #34
mrfy
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 142
mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yeah, I can reproduce most of this. I'll look into it.

EDIT: OK, my current guess (and it is only that) is that Catalina doesn't like writing, for example, lore.txt.new when it already has a lore.txt. If anyone has any actual knowledge to contribute to this, that would be most welcome. In short, upgrade to Catalina breaks Angband, cannot recommend.
It does update the existing lore.txt with # of monsters killed and which uniques are dead, as long as I don't turn on sound or choose randarts. For now, I'm playing within those limitations.

I did a brief search and didn't see anything specific to changes, other than apps now have to be given access permissions to the Documents folder. In the Security & Privacy System Preferences, I do see that Angband has been given access to the Documents folder.

Last edited by mrfy; October 13, 2019 at 20:32.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 20:39   #35
mrfy
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 142
mrfy is on a distinguished road
Seeing a strange display bug with traps, not sure if this has been reported before. Playing in ascii mode, find a hidden trap, get the messages:

You fall into a spiked pit!
You float gently to the bottom of the pit, neatly avoiding the spikes.

I continue down the corridor a few spaces since I don't see the trap. Back up, still no trap displayed get:

You have disarmed the pit.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get a save file.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 22:24   #36
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,842
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Seeing a strange display bug with traps, not sure if this has been reported before. Playing in ascii mode, find a hidden trap, get the messages:

You fall into a spiked pit!
You float gently to the bottom of the pit, neatly avoiding the spikes.

I continue down the corridor a few spaces since I don't see the trap. Back up, still no trap displayed get:

You have disarmed the pit.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get a save file.
OK - there's also a thing where detected traps show as just floor until they're in sight. Possibly the two are related.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 16:05   #37
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,835
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I have just gone through looking for bug reports....

Please let me know if I've missed any.
Bug: failing to learn rune of aggravation by use http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=124

Bug: monster with susceptibility to a particular element facing a weapon with multiple elemental damages, isn’t receiving the damage from the most dangerous element. http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=111
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 21:41   #38
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,842
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Bug: failing to learn rune of aggravation by use http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=124
Thanks, I've added that to #2135, which was failure to learn trap immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Bug: monster with susceptibility to a particular element facing a weapon with multiple elemental damages, isn’t receiving the damage from the most dangerous element. http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=111
Got that, it's #2138.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 10:59   #39
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,090
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK - there's also a thing where detected traps show as just floor until they're in sight. Possibly the two are related.
They also don't vanish while disabled. Maybe a temporarily disabled trap should have its own symbol or colour?

Dimension door can enter a vault by missing.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 18:11   #40
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,090
wobbly is on a distinguished road
fear resistance wasn't id-ing when being hit to terrify in melee.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bugs with 3.5 donalde Vanilla 10 February 24, 2014 18:28
Bugs: V3.1.2 Pete Mack Vanilla 34 December 1, 2010 18:18
Bugs Adley Development 2 October 10, 2010 22:11
V bugs (3.1.1) Pete Mack Vanilla 3 January 10, 2010 10:02
V 3.9 Bugs momo125 Vanilla 3 September 11, 2007 16:48


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.