Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 2, 2014, 17:55   #1
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
[Announce] Poschengband 3.2.0 Released

Version 3.2.0 is now available (beta) here.

This release adds a new dimension to the Dragon monster race: Dragon Realms! There are 8 realms to choose from and each has a specific focus. For example, Lore dragons seek knowledge and have great powers of detection and identification. Attack dragons are the best at melee while Breath dragons give up melee power in order to augment their breath attacks. Each realm alters player stats, skills and experience requirements while tweaking the power of dragon melee and breaths. In addition, many realms give innate bonuses (e.g. Lore dragons gain telepathy) so the realm choice is much richer than a normal spell realm. Some information is available in a new helpfile (DragonRealms.txt) which is accessible during the birth process (press '?') or from the normal MonsterRaces.txt file (Press '?' then 'c', then 'h' and finally 'b' ... I'll clean up the help system a bit at some point).

I also made a few minor possessor changes (Monk forms gain stunning, Tiamat now has an appropriate 5 headed body) but for the most part, this release is all about dragons!

Source code and a list of changes are also available.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 17:56   #2
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
*droooooooool*
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 19:45   #3
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Brilliant addition! I thought the Rings were going to be the last of the last addition. But, Dragon realms take this to another level!!

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 21:55   #4
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Very cool! Looking forward to playing and dying as a dragon!
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 01:50   #5
Tulip
Scout

Tulip is on a distinguished road
Currently playing Defensive Crystal Drake, having fun.

Is there any way to apply item auto-destruction to your inventory? When I identify all items at the thieves guild it keeps all the useless potions. Of course I could just drop them, but if there's an easier way, I'd like to hear it.

Also, is there a particular reason Steel Dragons don't have realms available?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 07:56   #6
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Also, is there a particular reason Steel Dragons don't have realms available?
They are the artificial berserker's of the dragon realm with no magic and no breathes. That would be my guess.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 13:48   #7
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
I wish I had a better handle on how fear works. As far as I've seen yet, the only help section that addresses it is the bit about charisma as part of character creation. Also, I wish that when the player tries to do something while too afraid, they get a chance to do something else (like move) instead of just eating turns for nothing. By our powers combined, I am captain feelarbitrarilypunished.

Haven't tried the dragons really yet. I think I'm going to try a summoner type next, either necromancer, beastmaster, or high mage[trump].
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 14:27   #8
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
I wish I had a better handle on how fear works. As far as I've seen yet, the only help section that addresses it is the bit about charisma as part of character creation. Also, I wish that when the player tries to do something while too afraid, they get a chance to do something else (like move) instead of just eating turns for nothing. By our powers combined, I am captain feelarbitrarilypunished.
If you want spoilers, you can look here though the details have probably changed a bit since that was written. Scroll down a bit past the first part to the section "Player Fear". I'll try to write something up for the help system, time permitting.

Losing turns is by design, though some actions are easier to do while frightened then others. You can always quaff a potion or read a scroll, so healing, boldness or teleport are good options when frightened. (I think being able to read while frightened is a bit generous, though).

(In general, I don't like spoilers and won't be doing any for Poscheng. If players feel they need them, there is probably something wrong with the game and I'd rather address the underlying issues instead.)
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 17:26   #9
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post

Haven't tried the dragons really yet. I think I'm going to try a summoner type next, either necromancer, beastmaster, or high mage[trump].
I can't speak for High mage but Beastmaster is lots of fun and now that iv'e changed my macro setup for Necromancer thanks to Chris, im really enjoying that class as well.

If you want to play as a summoner though, i'd say go all out and play a Quylthulg. I just tried one out and they are really fun, and have a very unique feeling to them. You can raise an army to fight for you right at level 1.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014, 02:47   #10
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
I started a new Crystal drake to test out the new Dragon Realms. However, my breath now appears as a bolt attack...is this new? Does that mean I can no longer attack multiple monsters with one breath? I don't recall seeing this before 3.2.x.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote