AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 24, 2018, 18:49   #41
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
That should not happen (unless your rod failed, of course, or the trap was created after you detected - though it's hard to see how that happens in your scenario). If the trap was there and not detected then it's a bug (and if the area was not really detected but was marked as detected, that's a bug too of course).

Do you have view_unsafe_grids on or off? (I'm guessing on from the description, but the map is still marked by trap detection with view_unsafe_grids off, just in a different way.)

Also, was it just the one trap, or a group of traps? Trap-creating monsters always try to create a group of traps, so if it was just the one trap (and there was room for other traps to be created near it) then that explanation can be rejected even more conclusively.
view_unsafe_grids is on (yes)

It was just a single trap. I had just entered the level, used the Rod, then was walking across the room to an object on the floor when I got the trap discovery alert. I would send a save file, but the Monk has since died due to lack of adequate confusion resist. Oops

I have also seen what seems like a monster death leaving a trap. Not often enough to detail anything.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 22:51   #42
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I think I found an error

My character has 1 level of light resistance and an Ethereal dragon breathes for 250 light damage, my character just got hit by one of those breaths and it hit for exactly 250 damage
The damages shown in monster listings take your resists into account, so 250 damage is what you should expect. An ethereal dragon breathes for 357 damage unresisted.
Old April 26, 2018, 16:28   #43
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This completely clears Clouded of Chris's accusation
This is old news actually. It's to do with how they're identified by the code internally.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 16:38   #44
Sideways
Swordsman

Hopefully fixed now.

Has anyone other than CyclopsSlayer experienced trap weirdness with view_unsafe_grids on? I haven't noticed anything with view_unsafe_grids off (I walk into traps, but that's just because monsters create them or I forget to detect); but it's possible a bug could be more noticeable with view_unsafe_grids on, like nikheizen's use-ID bug was.
Old April 26, 2018, 20:07   #45
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
(Looking at poschengband 5.0.5, may have changed since then)
Ok, Musou is ultimate resistance basically. So that's great. But Huujin and Kouki have pretty strong penalties, and Iai is risky too.

KATA_IAI ("Iai", unlocks at level 25)
-Take 20% more damage
-Get an attack on monsters before they melee you

KATA_FUUJIN ("Huujin", unlocks at lvl 30)
-75% chance to bounce the spell somewhere near the caster
-1 blows

KATA_KOUKIJIN ("Kouki", unlocks at level 35)
-No HP regeneration
-No pets (sp upkeep factor +100% of max sp)
-Minus 50 AC
-Vulnerability to base 4
-All Stats +5
-Boosted to hit chance +150
-Eating, quaffing, reading scroll,using a device, activating artifact, learning a new spell, using a power, ends the posture

KATA_MUSOU ("Musou", unlocks at level 40)
-Drains 2sp per turn, ends if you run out of SP
-Halves damage taken
-Resist base 4 + poison
-If you have enough mana, counter attack enemy melee attacks at the cost of 7sp
-Telepathy (including empty mind and weird mind creatures) up to 1/4 of max vision
-See invisible
-Free action
-Slow digest
-Fast regen
-Levitation
-Hold life
-Sustain all stats
-Normal telepathy
-Lite radius +1
-Reflection
-Auras of fire, cold, electricity
+100 AC
-Eating, quaffing, reading scroll,using a device, activating artifact, learning a new spell, using a power, ends the posture
A few corrections:
Huujin also grants reflection as long as the player is not blind. (You're supposedly cutting down the projectiles with your sword.)

Koukijin doesn't block pets, it just stops sp regen. You can have over 100% sp upkeep factor, which will mean that your sp slowly decreases over time when it would normally be regenerating. You are only forced to dismiss pets once you hit 0sp. (Upkeep factor is a percentage of regeneration, so a character with 75% upkeep takes four times as long to regen sp.)

Musou posture ends on a lot more actions than that, including moving and using melee attacks. All you can do is wait in place. The retaliation vs melee attacks and the massive defense boost still make it pretty handy for fighting hard-hitting melee enemies. But you only do damage if they attack you and get hit by retaliation, so it's not useful versus monsters that often cast spells.
Here's a funny example of the counter-attacking doing work.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018, 02:42   #46
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
I think I have discovered a bug

In the Thalos Arena, my character received gold as well as the item for defeating the Iron Lich and the Greater Titan

No-selling is on, not sure if that is causing the problem
Thanks. It had nothing to do with no-selling, the culprit was a bonus gold drop code from 2016 that didn't check whether the dying monster was an Arena foe.
Old April 27, 2018, 19:24   #47
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Reading a scroll of genocide in a quest just destroys the scroll, I consider that to be a bug
Bug is the wrong word, but it would probably be fair to give the player a warning that he's about to read a scroll that does nothing.

The GWoP fight is meant to be brutal! But it's winnable on a melee-er; my ComPosband weaponsmith won that fight.
Old April 27, 2018, 20:08   #48
Sideways
Swordsman

Well, that was a really really strong character with >1200 HP and ~2000 damage/round vs. dragons; and I think I also swapped in some items for that fight for extra speed and the like. (He didn't have |V either, though.) The problem with fighting the GWoP in melee is that you take a lot of damage just from its auras, so even if it never breathes at all you need to kill it fast.

Even so, though, the GWoP fight is nowhere near as unfair as the metal babble fight that comes after it... (I suppose you could try to needle the GWoP, too; at least you wouldn't take so much damage from its auras that way.)
Old April 28, 2018, 01:20   #49
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure if it counts as a bug, but I just did the thieves quest and there wasn't a single trap
I have seen zero, also more than ten in there. (inside the door of all four rooms, three in the hallway, four in the entrance.)
I think it is entirely random.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 07:44   #50
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It looks like the OP was right, the monk and samurai stances don't seem worthwhile, except for the monk stance which gives an extra blow
Musou stance is still pretty strong because on top of the big bonus to AC and resistances it also halves all incoming damage, and the retaliation is a full round of melee attacks rather than the normal only-one-blow stuff that you can get from items. It's just that you can only really use the stance against enemies that melee frequently.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband