Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 4, 2015, 21:43   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Meaning of Race/Class creation statistics?

For example, what are the units on Hit/shoot/throw? Percentages? Actual +to hit like on a weapon? Something else? Is it a linear scale?
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015, 10:48   #2
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
For example, what are the units on Hit/shoot/throw? Percentages? Actual +to hit like on a weapon? Something else? Is it a linear scale?
Nobody? Is this a particularly hard, or perhaps particularly stupid question? I suppose I can have a dive through the source I just wondered if somebody knew this off the top of their heads.
Old August 6, 2015, 17:29   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
To my knowledge, +1 to hit on a weapon is the same as +1 to hit as class bonus.
I dont know the actual formula (I knew it once but forgot). All I remember is that, compared to other games, it is almost impossible to get into a situation where you dont hit, both as attacker and as target.

The only exception I can think of is an added extra deep area in ToME2 ("nether realm"), where they just inflated monster stats (even in normal dungeons, its called "levelling" monsters, so a hill orc might get something like +2 speed, +10 to hit and AC or whatever, depending on dungeon depth). This levelling process, when applied at a depth of 200 or so, creates amounts of AC that are actually very hard to hit. So a typical attack round of a fighter with 30 attacks (yes, you can get that many in that game) would have something like 28 misses and 2 hits.

This formula is the main reason why damage rings are better than to hit rings and robes of resistance are better than plate mail +10.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015, 23:16   #4
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nobody? Is this a particularly hard, or perhaps particularly stupid question? I suppose I can have a dive through the source I just wondered if somebody knew this off the top of their heads.
It could well be that nobody actually knows exactly - maybe not even the maintainer himself (Sorry Nick, most unfair )
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 12:05   #5
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
It could well be that nobody actually knows exactly - maybe not even the maintainer himself (Sorry Nick, most unfair )
My main interest was in judging the real differences in various character/class combinations in terms of fighting/shooting/throwing ability in the game.
Old August 7, 2015, 13:13   #6
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My main interest was in judging the real differences in various character/class combinations in terms of fighting/shooting/throwing ability in the game.
In my experience it makes little difference beyond the early game.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015, 23:00   #7
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
In my experience it makes little difference beyond the early game.
So a hobbit priest, or say a gnome mage, should be as good at landing hits with a weapon %age wise (ignoring # blows difference) as a half-troll warrior in the end game, assuming maxed str/con/dex?
Old August 8, 2015, 20:11   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So a hobbit priest, or say a gnome mage, should be as good at landing hits with a weapon %age wise (ignoring # blows difference) as a half-troll warrior in the end game, assuming maxed str/con/dex?
No. Mages have lousy gains in their accuracy compared to warriors, so warriors naturally become more accurate over time relative to mages. I don't feel like trying to quantify this, but my guess would be that an accurate warrior could reach 80% accuracy or maybe a bit better against Morgoth, while an accurate mage would probably be more around 70%.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 13:15   #9
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
No. Mages have lousy gains in their accuracy compared to warriors, so warriors naturally become more accurate over time relative to mages. I don't feel like trying to quantify this, but my guess would be that an accurate warrior could reach 80% accuracy or maybe a bit better against Morgoth, while an accurate mage would probably be more around 70%.
It sure "feels" like a mage or a priest can barely hit squat, and that the bless prayer/scroll makes a significant difference in a them landing blows, while the warrior barely ever misses.

In the character generation screen, a Hobbit mage has "hit +24" while a Half-Troll Warrior has "hit +90". It sure does feel like the HT warrior lands > 3x more blows. I was just wondering if this "to hit" scale is the same one that weapon magical to-hit participates in, or if those scales are different (since on the character info screen is lists two separate "base, bonus" to hit
Old August 9, 2015, 15:06   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the character generation screen, a Hobbit mage has "hit +24" while a Half-Troll Warrior has "hit +90". It sure does feel like the HT warrior lands > 3x more blows. I was just wondering if this "to hit" scale is the same one that weapon magical to-hit participates in, or if those scales are different (since on the character info screen is lists two separate "base, bonus" to hit
They're certainly related, but I'm pretty sure it's not just like half-troll warriors having the equivalent of a +66-to-hit invisible modifier. In other words, the accuracy score on the character screen factors into your accuracy but in a different way from equipment bonuses do.

And no, this makes no goddamned sense.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote