Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old April 5, 2014, 14:52   #1
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Noob started a smithing build .. and now??

Hi folks,

after I found everyone talking 'bout the neat features of Sil, I just had to try it out myself.
As I couldn't resist a smithing dwarf, I inevitably got stuck with the most basic decision: what to make at/of the 2nd forge on 150ft ?
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15857
Old April 5, 2014, 15:17   #2
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Based on your current kit, I would make a good basic helm (I think you can do [+0,1d3]), better gloves ([+0,1d1]) and a mail corslet if you can (the corslet is a swap for when archers show up.)

You can keep your fancy unid'ed helm as a swap, but the +1 evasion and +1 prot side from the better helm will help in the early game.
Old April 5, 2014, 16:13   #3
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
With 1000xp in the bank I would go jewelry and buy 2 1d1 prot rings and a lesser jewel. I'm a protection whore and hate stressing over light, even though I rarely ever run out.
Old April 5, 2014, 18:27   #4
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
A ring of free action is another nice option if you do pick up jeweller. I'd probably go jeweler, gloves[+0,1d1], ring of protection[1d1] & ring of free action there.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014, 18:39   #5
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
I would make improved gloves, helm and shield (fine roundshield without melee penalty - so you don't wonder whether you should better drop it or not) and after that I would start again with the things that were damaged by acid until now and an improved dwarf mask. (Not sure whether you want to go all out smithing later or not.)
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014, 19:05   #6
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
I would make improved gloves, helm and shield (fine roundshield without melee penalty - so you don't wonder whether you should better drop it or not) and after that I would start again with the things that were damaged by acid until now and an improved dwarf mask. (Not sure whether you want to go all out smithing later or not.)
His current shield is already pretty hard to beat although the melee penalty is a pain. Dwarf mask is a great idea, although he'll probably find another forge before baby Ds show up.
Old April 6, 2014, 15:11   #7
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
With one more smithing you can make a double-fine corslet (identical stats as a mithril corslet) or double-fine gauntlets... or kite shield.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 18:15   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
He has a +2 kite shield of deflection, it's better then any kite shield he'd make. & I'm not sure the corslet (-2,2d4) is really better then his studded leather (-1,1d7). The gauntlets would be nice though. Either (-1) [+1,1d2] or [+0,1d2]. I'd probably go the later.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 22:12   #9
Minstrel
Rookie

Minstrel is on a distinguished road
I'm somewhat nooby myself, but fwiw, I'd spend 500 on enchantment and smith up a set of gauntlets of treachery +0, because chasing fleeing stuff down is one of the most annoying parts of the game for me (also there's a bug that turns them into +1 eventually). And probably a longsword of doriath for a swap, which now gives you an extra die on just about everything until halfway down the dungeon. #3 either a helm of brilliance because I'm paranoid with anything less than the light of a thousand blazing suns shining out of my character, or maybe gloves of the forge +2 to start a smithing kit.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014, 14:46   #10
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the interesting answers. Nice to see no-one agrees about what to do, so seemingly it's not my noob-ness but the amount of actually sensible choices that left me a little bit stumped ;-)

I finally decided to take Jeweller, and get me a +1 to-hit ring, a lesser jewel (I was down to 1,5 Torches before smithing, but nobody commented on that), and some (0) [+0,1d1] gauntlets.

Looking through the smithing skills and list of forgeable items, I wonder why the axes in general are so much worse than the swords? I'd rather use an axe as a dwarf (and not only for that racial bonus), but I would put myself at a real disadvantage then?!

Edit:
Lol !!
Went downstairs and the first thing I see is - a Battle Axe of Gondolin ....

Edit 2:
And the next door which opens only after banging my head against it repeatedly tells me:
".. it is a Helm of Clarity [-1,1d2]". Now that is surely more useful than any [0,1d2] helmet I could forge myself, isn't it?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Habaras.txt (2.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Arralen; April 10, 2014 at 14:56.
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote